CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wallowed out lug holes on rim make lug nuts come off

the excuse
05-20-2004, 06:08 PM
my lug nuts keep falling off and the rim comes off. the holes are prety wallowed out and coned inwards. what can i do. i dont want to have to buy another rim.

88sub4x4
05-20-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
buy another rim.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just told yourself what to do

bigyellowjimmy
05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Buy another rim and buy new lug nuts as well if the faces are damaged (which I suspect they are).

pauly383
05-20-2004, 06:28 PM
What type of rims, stock or aftermarket aluminum? Some rims require their own lug nuts, like "mag" rims did.

Too bad you werent in AZ, rims are stacking up in a lot of the members yards and garages ( mine too ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

the excuse
05-20-2004, 08:49 PM
there aluminum with the holes in them, 12.5 inches wide. theres no way i could lock tite teh lug nuts on or something?

bajaviking
05-20-2004, 09:00 PM
My aluminum wheels have the same problem and I hate them, they suck and I wish never bought them. Next time I gonna buy cheapo black 8X15 steel wheels, they are strong and if they get smashed up on the trail it's only $37 to buy a new one.

pauly383
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Are you the original owner of said wheels? Some of those wheels you described had a hole for each stud and a bigger hole in the very top for the washers that went with their specific lug nuts. I would locate some used wheels of of ck5 or pay the 37 dollars for the cheap steelies, youd like them better. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

CyberSniper
05-20-2004, 09:08 PM
The only wheels that didn't need special lugnuts were the kind with conical steel inserts the aluminum was cast around. The rest either need special washers or have shouldered lugnuts.

I've never had a problem with any of mine loosening up and I put mine on with a 1/2" ratchet.

pvfjr
05-21-2004, 02:42 AM
I'd check those studs too. That's nothing to fool around with or cheap out on! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Wouldn't want a wheel to fall off on the freeway.

the excuse
05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
it fell of once on the on ramp to the frew2ay and another in the dirt. both time it was held on by the brake and stayed on the hub.

HarryH3
05-21-2004, 06:11 PM
I've run aluminum wheels for 20+ years and never had one come loose. Most older ones require a special shank-style lug nut, which fits inside the stud holes. These both position the wheel so that it is centered and hold it in place. They look like this:

http://www.mcgard.com/prod_imgs/LugShankReg.jpg

Later wheels have a hardened steel cone pressed into the wheel at each stud hole. They are the ONLY aluminum wheels that should ever use a cone type lug nut. If you're using cone type lug nuts on a wheel that requires shank style lug nuts, then that would explain the problem that you're seeing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

the excuse
05-24-2004, 12:13 AM
ok thanks that must be the problem, where do i get these lug nuts?

84_Chevy_K10
05-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Try a tire store.

CyberSniper
05-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Advance Auto used to keep them on the shelves, I don't know if they do anymore or not. Tire stores usually charge ~$1.50/nut plus $.50/washer. As you can see, buying from a tire store gets expensive fast.

HarryH3
05-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Most auto parts stores have them. Since your wheels are boogered up now, you may need to do some work with a file to get the shanks to fit inside the stud holes. Hopefully the wheels are not ruined. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bigyellowjimmy
05-24-2004, 09:59 AM
You may want to bring your wheel to a tire shop to get their opinion on whether or not its re-usable, plus they could sell you the proper lug nuts. If indeed your wheel was hitting the lug studs you probably should get someone knowledgable to look at it..............just to be safe. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif