CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : lube for a slow power window?

Jonny-K5
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
well i've gone thru all the old threads of "how to fix a slow power window".
gonna tackle this project tomorrow, windows gettin' pretty slow, especially when it rains. im going to clean all the components, but im not sure which lube to use. i saw dry teflon,graphite powder,garage door lube, and something called window run lube. what would be best? and where is a good place to find it?

NJBLZ
04-02-2005, 11:26 PM
since you're going to be taking the interior panels off anyway, you should buy a set of new motors at the local auto parts store. i forgot how much mine were, i could be way off, i think they were around $20-$30 each. well worth the money. i dont have to "help" the window up by hand anymore.

UseYourBlinker
04-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Silicone Spray,or KY jelly :ignore:

Jonny-K5
04-02-2005, 11:41 PM
i've got one motor replaced already, it starting to slow down as well, especially in the rain. in the old post it said to avoid silicone or lithium grease, anything that attracts dust will gum up eventually. thats why they suggested the dry teflon or graphite powder

savagek5diesel
04-03-2005, 01:42 AM
my power window do perty well when i clean all the electrical terminals. but they still slow down alot when it's damp outside.

gmcjimmy88
04-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Prolly splled wrong but that is the stuff. it comes in a spray can and is like 3 dollars. Get a can and spray it on the window tracks and see if it helps. Worked wonders on my van with same problem.

CyberSniper
04-03-2005, 07:40 AM
I usually use motor assembly lube on the tracks if the motor is really tired. GM just uses a thicker version.

If the motor isn't tuckered out I use Maxima Chain Wax. Very good lubricant that doesn't attract dirt.

darkshadow
04-03-2005, 07:46 AM
i would think some uh what do you call it, but lube that will carry a charge, i cant think of the name aaahhh.

but some thing like whats on o2 sensors maybr, on your contacts that way it wond slow then its rainy

HarryH3
04-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Usually the root cause of the problem is the plastic rollers on the ends of the scissor arms. As they age, the plastic swells or something and then the roller doesn't roll on its axle any longer. :mad: So instead of smoothly rolling back and forth in the track on the bottom of the glass, they're dragging.

pvfjr
04-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd try and smooth up the tracks and clean off any surface rust and gunk, check the condition of that roller, and apply boat trailor axle grease. It's that blue goopy stuff, will stick to it forever and is waterproof.

Derf00
04-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Clean the tracks, clean the motor gear, clean the channels where the rollers run, and clean the rollers. There are numerous choices on what lube to use, but the thicker the lube, the slower the window, I think the axle grease is a little to thick. I have had very good results with white lithum based grease, and silicone spray the window channels.

diesel4me
04-03-2005, 12:28 PM
I use silicone spray or teflon spray lube on the felt wipers in the tracks--Gunk brand's "Liquid Wrench ll " has teflon and silicone in it,I had good results with that stuff,and it works good on slider window aluminum channels too..one body shop guy I know uses car wax on the window glass edges to prevent them from "dragging" on the felts... :crazy:

Jonny-K5
04-03-2005, 10:13 PM
just finished with the windows. i got this stuff called RD-50 dry film lubricant. found it at home depot. leaves no residue for dust to collect. great product. sprayed it on all moving parts. works 100% better, even with the cracked/swelled weatherstripping. electric motor is now ALOT happier. :D shoulda done this a long time ago..

txfiremank5
04-04-2005, 12:03 AM
i would think some uh what do you call it, but lube that will carry a charge, i cant think of the name aaahhh.

but some thing like whats on o2 sensors maybr, on your contacts that way it wond slow then its rainy
Are you thinking of dielectric grease?

MEPR
04-04-2005, 12:14 AM
i would listen to pvfjr. What ever he did his windows roll up and down faster and smoother than a brand new truck! :)