CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln welder problem !

chopped&bobbed77burb
05-31-2006, 09:09 PM
I have an older (1997) model Lincoln weld pack 100 mig welder that I bought new back in 97 . This has been a great little welder for all the small stuff I've needed to do . I've ran at least 15 10 pound spools of lincoln .035 innersheild wire through it . Well a while back it stopped working while I was welding with it and it tripped the fuse box . I took the cover off and there was alot of metal dust around the fan and on the inside of the welder . I took the air hoes to it and cleaned it out and it works now but it has no balls . I can turn the heat setting to D and the speed to 2 and I can weld thin sheet metal with fluxcore wire . I should be able to blow through sheet metal on setting B and speed on 2 :eek1: . Anyone else had this problem with their lincoln welder ? I suppose I could take it to the shop but if I have to pay alot of money to fix it , I should just get another little welder . They look pretty simple inside . I have a big welder ( lincoln 175 ) but I like having a little 110 to take out side to weld stuff . Thank's for any input :bow: .

rdn2blazer
06-01-2006, 12:44 AM
our lincoln at work gets dusty too and I blow it off with air also but no I cant say that I have ever had a problem. call or take it to a weld shop. they should be able to tell ya whats up with it. if it cost too much to repair you will know what your next decision will have to be. good luck.

Art'74
06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I have about 10 or so SP 135's in my business and it sounds like the board is bad. This is what ours do when the boards are bad, still works but no power.

Just a guess from past experience. Good luck.

Art

chopped&bobbed77burb
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I have about 10 or so SP 135's in my business and it sounds like the board is bad. This is what ours do when the boards are bad, still works but no power.

Just a guess from past experience. Good luck.

ArtThank's Art . I talked to a tech at a welding place in town that works on Lincoln welders and he thought it was a diode that is mounted on the aluminum heat sink plate . He told me how to test it and I did , It's not the diode . I think I will take it in . If it cost me $100 , I can live with that . I guess all the newer weld pack 100 are made in over in CK republic :doah: . I guess they don't last like the old one like mine . But thats what this tech told me so who knows . thank's for all the input .

camsk5
06-02-2006, 10:17 PM
see my other lincoln post...

I have all lincolns in my shop (but the blue ones are ok)...
over the net diagnosis is hard but I would have suspected a diode as well... I assume you did all the basics.. blew out the liner (15 sppols could make it dirty)... all the wiring in the machine looks good and is connected...
if its not the diode.. and the ground clamp is good and not munged.. I would suspect the board in it as well... they arent cheap.. look to see if you can get a refurbed one if it is... a shop manual is the best investment you can make.. one repair pays for it
welder repair starts at about 75 bucks and gets expensive quickly.. check ebay for new ones.. no one wants the 100 anymore as they are considered weak hobby welders... if you could get it fixed for under a 100 and youre happy with it I would say ok.. anything more... look at a 135 hd (for a small wleder)... youll be happy you did

cam

chopped&bobbed77burb
06-02-2006, 10:28 PM
see my other lincoln post...

I have all lincolns in my shop (but the blue ones are ok)...
over the net diagnosis is hard but I would have suspected a diode as well...
welder repair starts at about 75 bucks and gets expensive quickly.. check ebay for new ones.. no one wants the 100 anymore as they are considered weak hobby welders... if you could get it fixed for under a 100 and youre happy with it I would say ok.. anything more... look at a 135 hd (for a small wleder)... youll be happy you did

camI was scoping out ebay today and seen a few of the 135 models for about $440 with free shipping and I can get a Hobart 140 for about $450 . My weld pack 100 is great for the light duty stuff and it works great out side in windy conditions . I've used it on many jobs doing hollow metal repair on metal entry doors and frames and window frames . If I can get mine repaired for cheap I'm going to set it up for mig gas and run .023 wire and just use it for sheet metal work . The 135t looks like the way to go right now . I'm taking the weldpack 100 to the shop next week to see whats up with it .

botboy
06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I second checking the diodes, but it may not be in a bad "diode" but the connection...

I have an older weld-pak 100, it also seemed like it had little to no balls then suddenly stopped working (wire stopped feeding, and no power at all). I popped the cover off mine and noticed a fine mist of smoke from the aluminum plate the diodes mount to, and found that one of the bolts holding a power cable to the aluminum plates had gotten loose and been eaten away partially, as well as eaten some of the aluminum plate. This can also happen with the diode locations. I recommend pulling apart all the bolts on the aluminum plates and if any are blackened or severely corroded, re-drill the hole and put a new connector on the wire (if applicable), and put lots of dielectric grease on everything when you put it back together. I did this, and my weld-pak worked better than new once everything was back together.