CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wire feed not working on Lincoln

79chevyk10
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Well I've owned a 3200HD 110v lincoln wire feed welder for about 4 years and have used the crap out of it. Converted it to MIG with weekend running .023 solid wire and reversed the polarity for mig from innershield. After about 1 min of welding (messing with the wire speed) the wire stopped feeding all at once with no warning. I am going to fix it. My question is, has anyone had any experience with this happening to them and if so, what did you do to fix it.

Big91RustyBucket
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a weld pack 175HD that has the same issue. At first I thought it was because it had reached the duty cycle, but then I realized that was impossible. I am curious myself as to a permanent fix. It work's now but this situation is spuratic , and it will start to work again. Stupid POS shoulda bought a miller.

79chevyk10
06-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Not really what I wanted to hear. I just bought a 175HD. I will say this, I have owned the 3200hd for a little over 3 years and have probably used 30 lbs of flux core so even though it broke I don't dislike it.

Big91RustyBucket
06-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh don't get me wrong I love my welder. But it does decide to be a whore at time's.

Big91RustyBucket
06-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh and I ahve had about 100 lb's of flux wire through it , and it has done the not feeding thing since almost brand new. Hope your's doesn't have the same issue.

79chevyk10
06-25-2007, 02:01 PM
:eek1: 100 lbs!

If it did it since new, why not take advantage of the warranty. Mine is expired on the 110v.

Big91RustyBucket
06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
:eek1: 100 lbs!

If it did it since new, why not take advantage of the warranty. Mine is expired on the 110v.

I bought it off ebay , new from a store closure. I use it alot. Love it , but everytime i try to figure out the problem it start's to work again and won't repeat the problem to show anybody.

Muddytazz
06-26-2007, 06:23 AM
When it gets stuck and won't feed, does the drive wheels still turn just not feed the wire?

Big91RustyBucket
06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Nope they won't turn at all. It just click's on mine. Sometime's i think the wire is cought and pull new wire thru but it never is the problem. At least on mine .

79chevyk10
06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
ditto on that. Wire no bound up at all. Drive wheel does not turn. Talked to a buddy last night on the phone and he claims that there are two separate switches in the gun. He claims that the contacts on the trigger switch is dirty. If not I'll replace the drive assembly.

Big91RustyBucket
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
yeah appernetly it is a lincoln problem. let me know what fix's it. I have been wanting a bigger gun so maybe it will work for the best.

79chevyk10
06-26-2007, 12:08 PM
:thumb: :thumb:

Muddytazz
06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Weird, I've never had one problem with my Lincoln 135 and I've had it for close to 5 yrs now

79chevyk10
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Wierd is right. Everything breaks sooner or later. Just found two guys with the same problem with millions Lincoln welders out there. I still think Lincoln welders are very good welders. Will update once I can get around to fixing it.

cybrfire
06-29-2007, 06:24 AM
When you pull the trigger do you hear any gas flowing from the gun?

When you pull the trigger can you hear any clicking inside the machine?

Your trigger activates the gas solenoid and and the drive rollers at the same time. It also closes a contacter to throw the welding current into the welding wire.

Course now with todays electronic that may happen a little differently then the old contactors, on some printed circuit board but it still happens. Maybe you can trace back and find the problem. Open up the gun, I'm sure they are pretty much the same. Just a switch in a handle.

There should be some wires going into the drive motor for the wheels. If you can test for voltage on these when you depress the trigger you should be able to eliminate something as being the problem.

Don't forget to disconnect the power to service~!!!!

Big91RustyBucket
06-29-2007, 06:46 AM
When you pull the trigger do you hear any gas flowing from the gun?

When you pull the trigger can you hear any clicking inside the machine?

Your trigger activates the gas solenoid and and the drive rollers at the same time. It also closes a contacter to throw the welding current into the welding wire.

Course now with todays electronic that may happen a little differently then the old contactors, on some printed circuit board but it still happens. Maybe you can trace back and find the problem. Open up the gun, I'm sure they are pretty much the same. Just a switch in a handle.

There should be some wires going into the drive motor for the wheels. If you can test for voltage on these when you depress the trigger you should be able to eliminate something as being the problem.

Don't forget to disconnect the power to service~!!!!

On Mine I hear a click , then the drive wheel's don't move. then I pull wire out with plier's thinkin it is cought , and nothin. I dunno. I know that my next welder is gonna be a Miller . That is for sure. Bout you Kert? What kinda welder's you got at the shop?

cybrfire
06-30-2007, 07:01 AM
On Mine I hear a click , then the drive wheel's don't move. then I pull wire out with plier's thinkin it is cought , and nothin. I dunno. I know that my next welder is gonna be a Miller . That is for sure. Bout you Kert? What kinda welder's you got at the shop?

I have 3 millers and one Lincoln. The lincoln is an older ideal arc tig welder.

1 of the Millers is a 250x that I'd like to put a bullet in most days. It doesn't get alot of usage. It's the shop portable. The other 2 Millers are older 3 phase units that have lots of power and a really clean stable arc. I like them alot.

79chevyk10
06-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I hear the gas solenoid click and gas flows. It will still arc but the drive wheel for wire feed will not work. I'm heading out to the garage this morning to do some work. So we will see what's going on.

Big91RustyBucket
06-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I hear the gas solenoid click and gas flows. It will still arc but the drive wheel for wire feed will not work. I'm heading out to the garage this morning to do some work. So we will see what's going on.

yup sames as mine doe's.