CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High compression/big cam/ TBI????

mtnman
10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know if I could make TBI work on my 11:1 comp, AFR head, comp extreme 4x4 cam 383?? I have all of the TBI setup off of an 87 3/4ton burb and was thinking of putting it on my truck (if it can be done on a budget) thanks for any help:bow:

BGKYK5
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
The stock 350 TBI setup will probably not flow enough air or fuel for your engine. You could get it bored out, larger injectors installed, and a custom chip burned.

I was just reading this http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215188

Look especially at the second link in the first reply.

dyeager535
10-25-2007, 07:47 AM
What is "budget" for you? :)

You could make it work, but you need bigger injectors right off the bat, so how much of your budget does that eat up? Then tuning, throttle body (new or modded) fuel pump, fuel lines, and so on.

mtnman
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
What is "budget" for you? :)

You could make it work, but you need bigger injectors right off the bat, so how much of your budget does that eat up? Then tuning, throttle body (new or modded) fuel pump, fuel lines, and so on.

After readin ALL of the posts - I could buy the F.I. system I want(Edelbrock Proflo RPM) for only a little more $$ than doin all the stuff to "maybe" make TBI work for me:( Thanks a bunch for the help fellas!! :bow: P.S. my 383: balanced and blueprinted by Combustion Dynamics (in Cottonwood AZ) and everything else done by me - AFR 195 heads, Erson aluminum roller rockers, Cloyes Hex Adjust timing set, Comp Extreme 4x4 cam and lifters (biggest 4x4 cam they make), Fluidamper balancer, Hayes flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Melling 10555 oil pump, Scat 9000 series crank and 6" rods, Probe forged pistons, Perfect Circle file fit rings, 11:1 compression, Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 770 Truck Avenger carb, MSD Pro Billet HEI, Moroso Super 40 plug wires, Flowtech Afterburner headers, and a full 3" Flowmaster dual exhaust = a fun to drive $10,000 engine (w 50,000 miles on it) in a $2000 truck :doah:

Babaganoosh
10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
After readin ALL of the posts - I could buy the F.I. system I want(Edelbrock Proflo RPM) for only a little more $$ than doin all the stuff to "maybe" make TBI work for me:( Thanks a bunch for the help fellas!! :bow: P.S. my 383: balanced and blueprinted by Combustion Dynamics (in Cottonwood AZ) and everything else done by me - AFR 195 heads, Erson aluminum roller rockers, Cloyes Hex Adjust timing set, Comp Extreme 4x4 cam and lifters (biggest 4x4 cam they make), Fluidamper balancer, Hayes flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Melling 10555 oil pump, Scat 9000 series crank and 6" rods, Probe forged pistons, Perfect Circle file fit rings, 11:1 compression, Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 770 Truck Avenger carb, MSD Pro Billet HEI, Moroso Super 40 plug wires, Flowtech Afterburner headers, and a full 3" Flowmaster dual exhaust = a fun to drive $10,000 engine (w 50,000 miles on it) in a $2000 truck :doah:

WOW you were not joking when you said the engine was worth more then the truck. I will testify It sounds gooooooooood.

southernspeed
10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Check out DynamicEFI.com and read 'tuning with EBL' over on thirdgen's 'diy prom' bosrd. It's a totally tuneable system, and cheap too. They now do a flash version.

BGKYK5
10-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't think you will be happy with any type of stock TBI - no matter how modded - on a $10k engine. Spend a couple grand more and do it right with a good aftermarket system that you know will work.

mtnman
10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I Agree Completely!!!

Jason4x4
10-27-2007, 09:41 PM
yea, I have enough problems with mine, if I could do it over again, I would buy an aftermarket system. If you have any questions about it, call AZTPI, they are very informative. They've tuned mine several times, and said my cam is almost too big for TBI, and it ain't no where near yours.