CK5 Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how do i get a stripped lug nut off?

knottyrich
07-13-2010, 08:20 PM
fu$%^^&^%%#@@ing tire place stripped at least one of my lug nuts....it spins but doesn't grab enough thread to spin off the stud??? maybe grip pliers?? cut off with a grinder? ideas?? thnx dudes

Fordum
07-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Odds are its the lug bolt that is stripped. If the nut were stripped, it should come off by pulling.
You can try a big pair of Vice-Grips. Grab the lugnut, and pull hard while trying to unscrew it. With any luck, it will catch on some good threads and start off.

Otherwise, whatever way you got goes. Its pretty certain that you are not going to be able to save anything there.
Grinder, Dremal tool, air chisel, if all else fails, there is always ol bluenose. He gets everything off.

J.

jt512
07-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Not sure what kind of wheels you have, but if it's a steel wheel..... I have had to remove a stripped nut before and knowing the stud was trashed already I simply used a old 4 way lug wrench and stomped on it to snap the stud. This may not work with a aluminum wheel where the nut "seats" into the wheel more, you may also scratch your wheel as well, but it should get the stud and nut out of the way so you can replace them.

HeavyMetal72
07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
nut splitter, if you can get it on the nut.

blowedupmotor87
07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Dremel with a cut off wheel works nicely, it takes a while but it gets the job done!

diesel4me
07-14-2010, 12:47 AM
I've had to drill out stripped lug studs,its a suck job--your lucky if they dont just spin when you try drilling into them..on one car with steel rims I tack welded the lug nut to the rim to hold it from spinning while I drilled it..I got the hole started with a cobalt bit,then when I needed to enlarge it to 1/2" ,I used a masonary bit...the carbide tips on those will drill thru about anything,you have to sharpen them to a slightly different angle to get good results on hard steels..

My friend who ran a tire shop says he'd pound on a tight fitting socket,and slip a pipe over it,and lift upwards on it..usually a stud will snap off that way..he said he's tried freezing the stud first with freon and it seemed to help make it more brittle too..

blazin_blazer
07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
wheres chevy wranglers vid of him removing a stuck lugnut?

wasted wages
07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
he said he's tried freezing the stud first with freon and it seemed to help make it more brittle too..

nah...

Most commercially available refrigerants are not cold enough to make steel brittle..

R-22.....boiling point -41 deg.F
R- 404..boiling point -54 deg F
R- 410..boiling point -61 deg F

Liquid Nitrogen ?
Now your talkin....it boils at -321 deg F

K5dreamer
07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
when in doubt... C-4. :D

everything i need to know i learned from mythbusters.

in all seriousness. remove the nut and end of the lug bolt either by snapping, or cutting with a 4.5in cutting wheel. then hammer stud out from the outside. and install a new bolt/nut combination.

colbystephens
07-16-2010, 12:23 AM
I'd start by trying to fenagle a pipe wrench in there at a slight angle and use a breaker bar on it.

brian wafer
07-16-2010, 04:39 AM
take out the ones that do come off and pull on tire while unscrewing the strip one.

colbystephens
07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I think the problem is that the bolt head is stripped, not the stud. If I'm reading it right.

Blue85
07-16-2010, 10:54 AM
You have some options, but I would start with the easy ones like a nut splitter or using the wheel to put pressure on the back of the nut after the other nuts are removed. A cut-off wheel could work, but you might not be able to cut the whole thing off without damaging the rim. If they are nice rims, think carefully about this and proceed with caution.

The option nobody has mentioned yet is to take the whole thing apart and remove the stud from the back. (If the threads are boogered you want to replace both the stud and the nut). In the front, you can pull the locking hub and wheel bearings to remove the whole hub, rotor and wheel together. I can't remember how much room there is on the back of the hub to gind the stud, but if it's tight you should be able to drill it. If you have a FF rear, it's almost the same as the front. For a SF rear, you have to open the diff and pull the c-clip. Make sure you have like 4-5 feet of clearance on that side because you have to pull the drum, wheel and axleshaft out as one unit.

K5dreamer
07-16-2010, 11:52 AM
blues got clues!!!

sorry, too cheezy not to do it. but like the idea of removing the hub/axle to get to the back of the wheel stud so you dont bugger up the wheel.

wasted wages
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
geez......weld the nut to the stud......take a big ass breaker bar and snap the stud off.....drive out the old stud....drive in a new one...

Do I have to think of everything around here ??? :rolleyes:

Blue85
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
How about this?

Pull all the other nuts off and lift that corner with a hi-lift jack. Rev that wheel to about 100mph while your buddy kicks the truck off the jack. This should break the stud. Be sure to post video.

Corey 78K5
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
If your good with a torch try this.....Let all the air out of the tire so as to not make a tire bomb. Then use the torch to "shave" the nut off the stud. If you take your time and keep the flame pointed away from the stud you can do it in a way that you wont harm the studs threads.

cegusman
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
How about this?

Pull all the other nuts off and lift that corner with a hi-lift jack. Rev that wheel to about 100mph while your buddy kicks the truck off the jack. This should break the stud. Be sure to post video.

That right there sounds like the best plan. Please do this