K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Ryan B.

i Trader: (0 )

GM of the month Winner
DMV question.. buying a non op vehicle.

Got a question here:
Suppose i go look at a vehicle and contemplate buying it.. It has been NON OP for about 10 years..
The dude said that he thinks he paid the non op fee like 10 years ago, but hasn't since..
So that means if i bought the vehicle, I will be stuck with the non op fees for the last 9 years plus any additional late fees, etc...
How can i research this!!!??? Can i grab the vin# and then go on DMV website or call DMV on monday and ask them how much the fees added up to on this thing for the registration over the last 9 years!? Will they let a random person do a vin registration background check?
I need to figure out how much is owed on the registration before i would think about buying it!
A good deal always has a catch right?

Thanks for any help or tips!
Ryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
sled_dog

i Trader: (3 )

sorry this is not helpful, you have to pay a fee if you own a car and don't drive it in CA? One more reason I will never live in that state.
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Ryan B.

GM of the month Winner
yes non op fee is like $10 or $15 a year so its still legit.

did a little more searching..
over 2 years, a registration late fee will be added of 160% of the registration!
I wonder if that is per year.. so registration x 160% x 10 years...
Yah thats why its cheap huh?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Posted in reply to Ryan B.'s post starting "yes non op fee is like $10 or $15 a..."
86dieselburb

Jusy another reason why this state sucks. The DMV makes the buyer pay the back fees. How screwed up is that?
86dieselburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Posted in reply to 86dieselburb's post starting "Jusy another reason why this state..."
Ryan B.

GM of the month Winner
but that gives the buyer the upper hand to lowball the seller...

"Well since your asking price is the same amount as all the back fees, how about you give me $200 and i'll come haul this thing away for you."
Old 03-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Z3PR
Banned

I'd get the VIN, call the dept. of motor vehicles and tell them you are consittering buying it. They will tell you if there are fee's and how much. I'd tell the seller I'd off "X" amount for the vehicle, but the sell will have too take care of the fee's or knock that much off the price.
Z3PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
Ryan, i'm not sure how long ago DMV changed the rules but it used to cost $5.00 a year for a non-op, then they up'ed it to $10.00 a year, then they changed the rule to a one time $10.00 fee for non-op status and i'm not sure when that change took place but if he non-op'ed it after that change then all you would need to pay for is current year reg. and transfer fee.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Eric M.
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

I just went through this ... twice!

Get the VIN and call the DMV. They will tell you what will be owed to register it(approx.). Call twice, talk to 2 different people, you'd be surprised how 2 people researching the same info over there can come up with 2 different answers ... I was told to get a smog for my 73 (go figure!). Also, ask who the last owner was and if anyone has tried to register it unsuccesfully (see below).

If the truck has been dropped from their system (records), you will need to get a brake inspection, light inspection and bring the truck to the DMV or CHP for an inspection before you can register it. I'm not sure what all this costs or how difficult it is, I've always steered clear of a truck that needs all this .... but, if the price is right and you're sure it hasn't been re-VIN-ed (like in stolen or wrecked and a numbers reused), the work might be worth it.

I did a 73 truck that was still in the DMVs system after 10 years of non registration, it cost me about $450 to register. The other was an 87 that hadn't been registered in 2 years and it was $900.

Lastly, check to make sure the name on the pink matches the name of the guy you are buying it from and the name on record at the DMV. Often, a vehicle will change hands several times with out being registered because of the high cost of back fees. The DMV keeps records of who the last person was trying to register the vehicle and will want to see paper trails (bills of sales) from all the buyers leading to you. I think they just want to collect sales tax on all the sales. They will send you away and tell you to come back with bills of sales from all parties leading to you. Both trucks I did had about 2 or 3 owners between me and the last registered owner who tried to reregister but never paid the full amout (too expensive, they just sold truck again).

If you find there are several previous owners on file with the DMV and you don't have the paperwork from them, drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I did.

Good Luck,

Eric M.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Posted in reply to Eric M.'s post starting "I just went through this ... twice! ..."
KidJethro

i Trader: (1 )

GM of the month Winner
I had put my truck on a "planned non-op" way back when I parked it. About 2 years ago. About 6 months ago I got a thing from the DMV saying it would be $56 if I wanted to re-op/register it, But I didn't want to, so I didnt worry about it. I never got any yearly bills for a non-op fee. I'm pretty sure it's just a one time fee when you do it, then you have to pay a one time fee when you want to re-register it. You should check out the DMV website, lots of info there.
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Posted in reply to KidJethro's post starting "I had put my truck on a "planned..."
KidJethro

i Trader: (1 )

GM of the month Winner
Alittle more info on no-op stuff here-
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr01.htm

Some DMV fees here-
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/miscellaneous.htm
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote