K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
Greenk5

i Trader: (0 )

Late Shifting 700r4

I replaced my worn out 700r4 in my Fullsize blazer with a recently rebuilt one i got from a friend. After installing it I readjusted the TV cable as best could, but my transmission seems like it is shifting late from 1st to second, but the 2nd to 3rd shift seems about normal, if not a little soft.(My previous transmision had a shift kit) Even under almost no load it wont shift til about 25 mph. I tried readjusting the t.v. cable by a few clicks but nothing helped. Also is there a way besides the dipstick to obtain a desireable fluid level in the transmisison. I filled it til the dipstick read full (11 1/2 qts total with empty torque converter)but it is difficult to read, but now after 10 minutes of driving and it warms up i have fluid coming out of the transmission where the T.V. cable connects. Im totaly puzzled. Any help here would be appreciated i dont want to drive it til i get this figured out
Greenk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Posted in reply to Greenk5's post "Late Shifting 700r4"
lectric80
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

The last TV I did was on my 88 Astro. With it just slightly too tight it would cause the early shift in the first-second. Loosened it up and the early shift went away, but it would shift late. It took me three or four attempts to get the proper adjustment on that cable, you may need to adjust a little then run it a short distance. If it gets worse go the other direction, if it improves you are going the right direction. It has been a couple of years since I did this, so I may have it backwards. Currently putting tranny back into Astro and bought a new non-universal cable to solve that problem, no adjustment required or possible.

As far as the transmission level I usually leave it about a half quart low, and then get it warm, and check the level. You may even have to leave it down a full quart to get it right.
lectric80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Posted in reply to lectric80's post starting "The last TV I did was on my 88 Astro...."
NEK5

i Trader: (6 )

How late is a little late? About what speed/RPM is it shifting from 1st to 2nd?

IIRC, when I brought my rig down to the tranny shop to have them check my TV cable, they said I had it set perfectly. He also said these trannys (700r4) are known for the quick 1st gear, ie 10mph.
NEK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Posted in reply to NEK5's post starting "How late is a little late? About what..."
Greenk5

On a fairly level road in "D" it's going into 2nd just under 25mph under light acceleration. The 700r4 i just removed went into 2nd around 15. So by loosening the cable, do you mean moving the ratcheting slider part further away from the firewall? I just double checked that the cable was fully pulled out at W.O.T, and it looks right, maybe its slightly to tight.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Posted in reply to Greenk5's post starting "On a fairly level road in "D" it's..."
southernspeed

GM of the month Winner
Good grief, please...... you do NOT adjust a TV cable. There has been tens, if not hundreds of posts about this. The TV cable is SET to specific position...end of story. Please go to www.tvmadeez.com and read article 101 at the top of the page about setting the tv cable. I f you have oil coming out of the cable hole, it's the rubber seal leaking. Shifting late would more likely be a governer problem I would've thought. A tv cable slightly out makes a shift firmer or mushier. If you mess around with 'different' tv cable settings you'll fry your trans in no time.
southernspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Posted in reply to southernspeed's post starting "Good grief, please...... you do NOT..."
cabledawg
Supporting Member
Secret Squirrel

Now just hold on a minute...some of us have adjustable TV cables. The TV determines when the tranny shifts based on the throttle position. Allowing slack causes the tranny to shift quick, but "mushy". Tighten it up and the shifts come a little later, and hard. REAL hard. And really late (like 25 mph till second hits) if the cable is too tight. Try backing it off a few clicks and see if that fixes it.
cabledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Posted in reply to cabledawg's post starting "Now just hold on a minute...some of us..."
Greenk5

Yah cabledawg i talked to a local transmission shop earlier this evening and your answer seems to be about right on the money. The said alternatively it may be some stuck valves in valvebody of the transmission. Im going to hook a pressure gage up to it tomorrow also and see what i get from that. He also said try adding slack 1 click at a time to the cable and see what happens, like you suggested.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Posted in reply to Greenk5's post starting "Yah cabledawg i talked to a local..."
southernspeed

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenk5
Yah cabledawg i talked to a local transmission shop earlier this evening and your answer seems to be about right on the money. The said alternatively it may be some stuck valves in valvebody of the transmission. Im going to hook a pressure gage up to it tomorrow also and see what i get from that. He also said try adding slack 1 click at a time to the cable and see what happens, like you suggested.
On a 700 ???? Well...it's your tranny!
southernspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Posted in reply to southernspeed's post starting "On a 700 ???? Well...it's your tranny!"
cabledawg
Supporting Member
Secret Squirrel

If it doesnt, pull the base of the cable (where it enters the tranny) and make sure there is free movement. When it is unhooked from the throttle linkage, you should be able to move the cable in/out easily without binding. The valves might be good, but if the cable sticks, you'll still be shifting late.
cabledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Posted in reply to cabledawg's post starting "If it doesnt, pull the base of the..."
Greenk5

yah i didnt get a chance to check anything today busy with school. It moves freely where the cable enters the transmission cable isnt sticking. I dont think it has ever been adjusted right to begin with. The previous owner put a Demon carb on the truck and doubt they adjusted the cable. Im guessing its why my last transmission grenaded. I was never aware of the range of function of the T.V. cable.