K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Posted in reply to Thunder's post starting "If the pump wont run when you power the..."
THEMCGUIRE

i Trader: (0 )

88 K5 still will not start - Could it be a safety switch?

I connected the fuel pump directly to the battery and disconnected the filter. Fuel flows to the filter.

I disconnected the fuel line to the back of the throttle body and shot air through it Air flows - apparently no blockage.

I cannot find a fuel pressure regulator. Fuel line flows from tank directly to throttle body via the filter. Could the fuel pressure regulator be part of the sender unit (Sender unit is new also) I do not have any floors or fenders on the truck right now total rebuild pending so everything is exposed.

Another issue I had forgotten until now ----

This truck was towed by the police for being on the street too long -49 hours. They did not have the key so they disconneced the linkage from the trans. When I had it towed back home the driver reconnected it.

However, I can push this truck forward and back while in park. I do not know why and was putting this off until I got the body back together.

Like I said it will run with starting fluid but not stay running. I thought that if it will start with the starting fluid then it could not be the Park /Newtral safey switch. But could this have been messed up when it was towed?

Any ideas...
THEMCGUIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
oakknight

the pressure regulater is built into the tbi unit
oakknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Posted in reply to oakknight's post starting "the pressure regulater is built into..."
kauzenkaos
Supporting Member

i dunno if you fixed this yet but you can pinch off the return line to see if its the regulator. only problem with that is the soft parts on the lines are steel braided. and when u jumpered battery voltage into the relay did you get battery voltage at the pump. and did you clean and tighten the bolt on the frame for pump ground? i only ask cauz bad ground or wires can cauz voltage drop resulting in low psi.

Last edited by kauzenkaos; 11-17-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: cant spell
kauzenkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Posted in reply to kauzenkaos's post starting "i dunno if you fixed this yet but you..."
THEMCGUIRE

I have not worked on it for a few days. Some town inspector came around saying that since the truck was just a bare bones it made my place look like a junk yard. I have a tent as big as a garage but not wide and it is hard to work in it. So I am trying to figure out how to continue "inside" the tent.

I do get 12 v when I bypass the relay. I plan on running a new line from the pos side of the relay. I also want to check the voltage at the injectors. Could it just be a fuse?

I will check all this when I figure out how to work on it and report back.

Thanks to all for your advise.
THEMCGUIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Posted in reply to THEMCGUIRE's post starting "I have not worked on it for a few days...."
ryoken
Supporting Member
Vertasaurus

i Trader: (7 )

this is gonna be a bad wire or connection... check your grd wire too....
89 CC dually, aka Mutt.. 454 TBI, SM465/NP205, X-over/hi-steer, 4" EZ rides & DIY4X flip with 56's, Dana 60/70 4:10's and KM2's....
Mutt thread

87 K5. 350 TBI. 700R4/NP205. Dana 60/14FF 5:13's, 35 spline stubs with Rockcrusher Flanges... 38" TSL radials.
K5 Thread

Gallery 1

Gallery 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinzuk View Post
No 3 alternators would be stupid and excessive, 2 is just good planning.
ryoken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Posted in reply to ryoken's post starting "this is gonna be a bad wire or..."
One_Ton_k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
this is gonna be a bad wire or connection... check your grd wire too....

I second the ground wire. I have had these kind of problems on my 89 k5. I dropped the tank and put it the new pump and found that the wire going to the frame was badly corroded.

Once I fixed that it ran like new. Wish I'd found it before dropping $$$ on a new fuel pump I didn't need.

Oh well....
One_Ton_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote