K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
dhcomp
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

Clean/lube the crap out of them.

Also, make sure your main power wires (bat to starter, starter to dis block, dist block to fusepanel) are all in good shape.

I lubed the crap out of my windows, and it helped a lot. Make sure and use something that won't gum up later.

I mention the wiring, cause my truck was shutting off on me, and i figured out it was a bad ring terminal crimp at the distribution block. EVERYTHING in the truck worked better after i fixed that, including the power windows.

91 V2500 Suburban - Tow/Travel Rig
08 BMW 550i/6 - DD

The Pessimist Complains About The Road. The Optimist Expects It To Get Better. A Leader Never Lifts The Throttle.
dhcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Posted in reply to dhcomp's post starting "Clean/lube the crap out of them. ..."
mr.smartass
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

Here's the thread,

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...+power+windows

I might try it, Jason says it doubled the speed in the first post. Where'd he go by the way? Actually I see a few people who are expired in that thread.

Justin

'89 K5 Blazer, 350/700r4/NP241, 4" Spring Lift, 3" Body Lift, 37" PJ's, D44/14BFF, 5.13's

Come play with us!
mr.smartass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Posted in reply to mr.smartass's post starting "Here's the thread, ..."
dhcomp
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smartass View Post
Here's the thread,

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...+power+windows

I might try it, Jason says it doubled the speed in the first post. Where'd he go by the way? Actually I see a few people who are expired in that thread.

This concerns me. Although the motors are ready for a full 12volt ( or 14.4, whatever), i think their life is decreased.

Since doing a similar mod to my headlights, the headlights burn out every 6-10 months. Headlights are cheap/easy to replace compared to window motors.

08 BMW 550i/6 - DD

The Pessimist Complains About The Road. The Optimist Expects It To Get Better. A Leader Never Lifts The Throttle.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Posted in reply to dhcomp's post starting "This concerns me. Although the motors..."
mr.smartass
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

Yeah I saw your post in the thread, wish Jason was still around so we could see if he's noticed any adverse side effects.

Justin

'89 K5 Blazer, 350/700r4/NP241, 4" Spring Lift, 3" Body Lift, 37" PJ's, D44/14BFF, 5.13's

Come play with us!
mr.smartass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Posted in reply to mr.smartass's post starting "Yeah I saw your post in the thread,..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
I'm pretty sure your concerns were addressed in that thread, at least regarding the window motors. They were designed to see ~14 volts day in, and day out. The degradation of the factory wiring and switches causes them to see considerably less after many years though. This relay mod does not supply more than the voltage they were designed for, it only restores the correct power to them.

As for your headlights, I'd try better replacement bulbs and see how long they last.

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "I'm pretty sure your concerns were..."
dhcomp
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRustyK5 View Post
I'm pretty sure your concerns were addressed in that thread, at least regarding the window motors. They were designed to see ~14 volts day in, and day out. The degradation of the factory wiring and switches causes them to see considerably less after many years though. This relay mod does not supply more than the voltage they were designed for, it only restores the correct power to them.

As for your headlights, I'd try better replacement bulbs and see how long they last.

Rene
Rene,

I agree with your claim, but the headlights should be designed to see the same voltage level too. Not trying to say don't do it, just consider that it may shorten the motor life.

Also, keep in mind mine is a 91, but with stock wiring, and clean, freshly lubed tracks, my windows move close to what i would bet was factory new speed. Not an 07 truck my any means, but not that slow.

Consider detailing the tracks, relubing, and see what happens before modding the wiring or replacing the motors.

08 BMW 550i/6 - DD

Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Posted in reply to thatK30guy's post "slow power windows"
Fordum
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

It would not be difficult to check the electrical as far as the actual checking is concerned.
However, it would require some door work.

The best thing to do would be to clean and lube what you can, then put a volt meter across the motor wires at the connector in the door.
When you turn the motor on, you should see at least 11 or so volts.

If not, then you either have a bad connection somewhere between the motor and the battery, or the wires are just too small.
In which case the relay would help a lot.

J.
Fordum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Posted in reply to Fordum's post starting "It would not be difficult to check the..."
xCaliK5x

i Trader: (0 )

I have to replace the pass side motor on mine, but I just help it up and down with my hand. Lube helped mine, for a while. Back to helping it along.
xCaliK5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Posted in reply to xCaliK5x's post starting "I have to replace the pass side motor..."
CGT80
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

my 88 k5 had very slow windows and then one quit on me. i replaced them with motors from autozone for $40 bucks each. I cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the track and rollers and gear. I also replaced my weatherstripping at the same time. They work very well now. I could be wrong, but I think that a worn out motor pulls more amperage than a new strong one that isn't pushed to its limit to lift the windows. The power windows in my blazer are stock/factory wired.

My 79 C20 has electric life power windows. I am pretty sure they don't use relays. The switches handle the high current. They work well.

Has anyone actually measured the amperage that a window motor uses, just out of curiosity?
CGT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Posted in reply to CGT80's post starting "my 88 k5 had very slow windows and then..."
Fordum
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

Not only does a worn, dragging motor draw more current, but a motor draws more current as the voltage drops.
You will burn a motor up on low voltage quicker than you will on slightly overvoltage.
Of course a brand new motor with tight bearings will draw more current than an older broken in motor.

J.
Fordum is offline   Reply With Quote