K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
BlazerRaiser

i Trader: (0 )

Block heater on 6.2 diesel?

I have recently bought a 6.2 diesel K5 and put 35" w/ a 6" lift on it. This truck ran great all summer but as soon as 40 degrees came around it seems that it doesn't even want to turn over. This is my first diesel and I don't know where the Block heater would plug in at or if it has one??? (note this is an old Military vehicle. Does anyone have any ideas?
BlazerRaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerRaiser
I have recently bought a 6.2 diesel K5 and put 35" w/ a 6" lift on it. This truck ran great all summer but as soon as 40 degrees came around it seems that it doesn't even want to turn over. This is my first diesel and I don't know where the Block heater would plug in at or if it has one??? (note this is an old Military vehicle. Does anyone have any ideas?
Glow plugs! Batteries!

My M1009 wouldn't start in the California spring, which is mild by most folks' standards ... the glow plugs were shot and the batteries were weak.

New batteries (btw, group 32P's fit, and can be had in like 1100cca or something) helped, but the new plugs were the kicker. Get the AC Delco 60G's, or the Kennedy quick heats from Ebay if you're so inclined.

After that, think about a block heater if it's still having trouble ... but it's like putting a turbo on a car that's not had a tuneup in forever... get it back to stock first

-- A
1974 K5: Urban Smurf camo. Half cab. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag behind the wheel) * Crumple zones (smaller vehicles) * Traction Control (Detroit, ARB, Doubler, tires, etc.)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
wheels_of_steel

I have a 6.2 diesel in my truck and it HATES winter, anything below 0 andd it has to be plugged in. You can check glow plugs by continuity to the block and the connector. My truck has a circulating block heater and its a night and day difference, it goes inline on a heater hose. Wal mart should have them.
wheels_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
colbystephens
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

GM of the month Winner
good tip on the inline heater in the heater hose! the stock set up was to have the block heater as part of one of the freeze plugs (mine was drivers side, but i no longer have the block heater). you shouldn't be having problems at 40 degrees tho. definitely check battery, plugs and starter for good power/heat/cranking speed.

colbystephens.com
1990 K35 Blazer: 5.7L/700r4/241/D60/14BFF/5.13/38" Swamper SS
Detroit locked rear, hydro-assist, 4" spring lift + DIY4x EZ-Inch for axle relocation + 1" body lift.
Headlight relay mod, dual isolated batteries.
Build Thread

Check out my book:
The Trouble With Freedom
colbystephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Posted in reply to colbystephens's post starting "good tip on the inline heater in the..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbystephens
good tip on the inline heater in the heater hose! the stock set up was to have the block heater as part of one of the freeze plugs (mine was drivers side, but i no longer have the block heater). you shouldn't be having problems at 40 degrees tho. definitely check battery, plugs and starter for good power/heat/cranking speed.
Slight hijack ... I seem to have one of those, as I was peering at my diesel today I discovered an electrical plug looking thing in a freeze plug.

Not like I need it, but would one just hook that up to 110V AC to do its thing?

-- A
1974 K5: Urban Smurf camo. Half cab. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag behind the wheel) * Crumple zones (smaller vehicles) * Traction Control (Detroit, ARB, Doubler, tires, etc.)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Slight hijack ... I seem to have one of..."
colbystephens
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

GM of the month Winner
yeah - there's a cord which hooks up to the freeze plug and the other end is your regular 3 pronged electrical plug.

colbystephens.com
1990 K35 Blazer: 5.7L/700r4/241/D60/14BFF/5.13/38" Swamper SS
Detroit locked rear, hydro-assist, 4" spring lift + DIY4x EZ-Inch for axle relocation + 1" body lift.
Headlight relay mod, dual isolated batteries.
Build Thread

Check out my book:
The Trouble With Freedom
colbystephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
u2slow

Checking continuity isn't reliable. They often won't go open-circuit until they get a shot of current. I could only detect 2 bad plugs via continuity alone. Turned out 6 were dead.

I used an AC clamp-on meter because I had nothing else. I know - won't work for DC right? Well, it will detect the change in current right when you turn them on. I set it to catch the peak value so I didn't have to be in 2 places at once.

IMO,a circulating heater is always better. Also good if you put it on a timer you aren't wasting power all night long.

Starter, batteries, and glow-plugs can all be culprits when it comes to starting the 6.2L in cooler temperatures.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Posted in reply to u2slow's post starting "Checking continuity isn't reliable...."
BlazerRaiser

Thank you all for your help, I got the starter checked today it was fine and the batteries are at full charge. Plugs are next. I'll keep you all posted.
BlazerRaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Taerkaster

Good electrical=great rig

I shared similiar problems turning over in my CUCV. Im a poor college student but I still recommend buying new glow plugs and brand new batteries. Just yesterday I decided it was worth spending more than 280$ on 2 new batteries. I am running best in the industry batteries running 800 Cold cranking amps EACH and 1000 warm cranking amps each. Starting my CUCV has never been easier or faster. I would highly recommend it if you havent already. When working with a CUCV make sure all your systems are working properly before making any modifications. With my new plugs and batteries I have never been happier spending that extra money for a more reliable truck Have fun with your rig!

-My battery
2X MEGA-TRON PLUS 78 AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY 85 MONTHS 800 CCA

Good luck!
Taerkaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Posted in reply to Taerkaster's post "Good electrical=great rig"
blazinzuk
Supporting Member
Buzzbox voodoo

i Trader: (3 )

GM of the month Winner
Did the plugs fix it?

My truck will start at pretty much any temp without being plugged in. Coldest it was I think was about -20, it didn't like it but it fired right up
Eric W.
87 truggy "Horton"
89 Jimmy
86 crew cab currently building
blazinzuk is offline   Reply With Quote