K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > The Injection Section

Remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
mudbuggy

i Trader: (0 )

computers and such

I have been doing my homework and all with the computer stuff, off and on now for the past 6 months. I think I have figured out the problem that I am having, I've been studing a 7747 (or what ever everybody else has), I worked with a tuner this past summer and he helped me figure out what computer I have and what program file I needed to read the system ( I still haven't figured out what the hell those damn things are either) What I do know is that I have an xdf of 42.xdf and the computer stuff is anlw and 5469 computer. Why does everyone else have a different system?

I have gotten the tune up done, the electric fuel guage mounted up, modified the tbi unit so I can adjust the fuel pressure. I am still around 9-10 psi (I confirmed that the electric guage was dead nuts on at the time of installation). I have aquired a laptop and have my programs loaded on my laptop, my cable came to my home yesterday, but I have to play nice since it's a present from my kids to me. I fugure that I'll wait until christmas until I hook up the laptop to the truck. From all that I've read, it would be best for me to get a good reading on the motor before I do any mods. I have 22 on the vac guage at idle in park, the oil is @25 psi, but I do need to check the base timing. Other then that I'm surfing hear for gp stuff, but I have been checking another web forum for the hardcore info, that just waiting on the day after Christmas to get here. Asking the questions that pop inbetween my ears. So what gives with my computer compaired to everyone elses?
mudbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Posted in reply to mudbuggy's post "computers and such"
dave w

I think most any laptop computer made in the last 8 years or newer should be fine for data logging.

Computer set up is needed to data log. I'm going to guess you have a USB ALDL cable? Getting the USB driver loaded, and com port set up for the ALDL cable can be very challenging the first time. Once the ALDL cable is set up, then setting up TunerPro RT is the next challenge.

Three files need to be loaded in TunerPro RT:
.bin file
.xdf file
.adx file

The data log is saved as .xdl file.
The data log file can be exported as .csv file.

I use the .csv file to figure out what changes need to be made.

dave w
dave w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Posted in reply to dave w's post starting "I think most any laptop computer made..."
dave w

I re-read my post above, maybe I didn't quite answer the questions? I wanted to provide information that would let readers know, using an ALDL cable is not a "plug and play" tool. Both the computer hardware and the computer software will need to be configured. Getting a data log can be very challenging for anyone, even those with excellent computer skills! Once the data log is saved, it is very overwhelming to analyze the data log information and figure out what changes need to be made to the .bin file to get the desired results in the next data log.

I've said this many times ... There is not a factory manual on modifying the programming in a PROM chip (aka .bin file).

dave w
Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Posted in reply to dave w's post starting "I re-read my post above, maybe I didn't..."
mudbuggy

so what is the difference in the 4477 computer and what ever the hell I have in mine? Why?

Yes I have the laptop, and the cable (under the tree) I still have to find out why I can't use any of the usb ports yet, or the serial port. Don't know why, I'm a diesel fabricator not a computer programmer. I've been working on the laptop for a few months, didn't see a reason to pay someone to set it up, if I was going to do all of this stuff with my motor. Sure sounds pretty stupid, 'pay someone to get familiar with my laptop, just so I am more lost then I was before' nope not me, I'll start from the beginning from barebones then go from there. Hopefully I can figure out the driver thing before I can unwrap my logging cable

So what gives with the different types of vehicle computers, why does a 2wd have a X computer when a 4wd has a Y computer? What is so different about them, that they are classed that they can only do this type of vehicle?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Posted in reply to mudbuggy's post starting "so what is the difference in the 4477..."
eagle mark
CK5 Staff

i Trader: (1 )

2wd and 4wd have same ECM in year trucks covered by this forum. The BCC/chip letters do change. You could have a replacemnet ECM that has differant updated number but same ECM as 1227747. What is the complete number?

Before you do any tuning you need to find out why you don't have 13 psi fuel pressure!

Read instructions with cable and follow them when doing install. Getting the correct FTDI drivers installed for USB cable in USB port and converting it from USB to serial. If done right the first time it will always work.
GearHead-EFI.com
eagle mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Posted in reply to eagle mark's post starting "2wd and 4wd have same ECM in year..."
mudbuggy

Before you do any tuning you need to find out why you don't have 13 psi fuel pressure!

Weak spring is as all I can figure, the new spring is under the tree with the cable. How many volts need to be able to move through the usb? The usb connectors that are contained on the laptop are only capable of .5 volts
Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Posted in reply to mudbuggy's post starting "Before you do any tuning you need to..."
dave w

To set up the USB / ALDL cable it's very likely you need to find the device manager.

Control Panel
System
Hardware
Device Manager

Depending on the computer you have, you might need to configure Com 10 for the USB / ALDL cable.

dave w
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Device Manager.jpg (119.3 KB, 3 views)