K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > Interior - Stock and Custom > Communication (CB, GPS, HAM)

Remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Posted in reply to 80' 427's post starting "So if I mount a magnetic mount like on..."
TerryD
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80' 427 View Post
So if I mount a magnetic mount like on the tool box like this is it going to be directionial? I just think I will be pulling it off the roof all the time where I go.
You shouldn't notice it if it does get a little directional. I've talked ~13 miles off the weak side of my Jeep while moving. It may possibly be strong off the rear of your truck since it doesn't have the top of the cab blocking signal, but I'm just guessing about that.

"Made in USA" thread
TerryD is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Posted in reply to TerryD's post starting "You shouldn't notice it if it does get..."
80' 427
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Will a K30 do OK?

1979 k30, 454 226whp 298 wft/lbs sm465/205 60 lockrite/ detroit 14ff 4.10 39.5s 4" ord lift, 0 rates and some other junk.

1982 K30 6.2 155whp 355 wft/lbs,465,205 4.10s 60/70 DRW, hx35 forced induction.
80' 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Posted in reply to 80' 427's post starting "Will a K30 do OK?"
Blue85
Supporting Member

So I've been running a K40 mag mount for a couple of years and I'm ready for something permanent. The mag mount on the top of the roof actually performs pretty well, but it gets knocked off by tree branches. I'm already airing down to get in the garage, so I can't afford losing the overhead clearance either. The wire is getting damaged by running through the door. I would run it out of the topper seal, but then there is no way to remove it without pulling the topper.

So I'm thinking to go 102" whip, mounted to the DS corner of the rear bumper. Compared to a body moutn, a bumper mount should make for less "kunk-kow" noises inside as the whip hits stuff and the fiberglass top sort of exposes more of the antenna. I will drill a hole in the steel plate bumper for the mount and if I change my mind later, just fill it with a bolt or something.

Any better ideas? What kind of mount is sturdy enough for the whip + spring?
37" SSR on recentered H1's, 4.88s, TPI 350 w/custom Megasquirt, Distributorless (Ford) ignition, built 700R-4, Fixed-yoke NP208, 1-ton C/V, 14B s/f with discs and traction bar, hydroboost, ORD leaf springs, Bilstein 5150s, custom bumpers, winch, sliders, etc.
Blue85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Posted in reply to munepit's post starting "The casing itself it pretty thin. If..."
Blue85
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munepit View Post
Mounted like I have, Its grounded to the body.

I think.
The mirror post has a plastic sleeve on it inside the door mount. Maybe this is to get the right sliding friction, maybe it's to prevent the post from rusting in place. At any rate, it's not an ideal ground. Plus that bracket is painted and you don't know how well the door hinges are grounding to the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric80 View Post
Mine is mirror mounted, but I did have to run a ground wire to get it tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysigns View Post
The ground is the key. I always run a ground wire straight to the negative on the battery. Might be over kill but that is where your ground comes from. So why not go to the source.
The battery is the source of DC power for the radio, but has little to do with the RF output of the radio. For antenna purposes, the sheet metal of the vehicle is the ground.
37" SSR on recentered H1's, 4.88s, TPI 350 w/custom Megasquirt, Distributorless (Ford) ignition, built 700R-4, Fixed-yoke NP208, 1-ton C/V, 14B s/f with discs and traction bar, hydroboost, ORD leaf springs, Bilstein 5150s, custom bumpers, winch, sliders, etc.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Posted in reply to JPOutfitters's post starting "it's a pretty tight space inside..."
Blue85
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOutfitters View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue85 View Post
Hey, what about mounting the antennas right into the mirror casings? For mirrors like this:

Instead of using one of those clamp-on brackets with the bolts sticking out and coax hanging out - put the insulated stud right through the little stainless housing on the side of the door. Then the cable can be routed inside the mirror mount and you would never see it. Anybody ever analyze the amount of space in there?
it's a pretty tight space inside because of the large bracket and the bolts used to tighten it all into place!
This was my project for today. I welded a bracket onto the door-mount bracket as flush to the stainless casing as I could. Then I put a hole in the stainless to match. The antenna cable runs inside the door and through the rubber wiring tube with all the power window/ door lock wiring, so you can't see a cable anywhere. Of course I had to solder the connector on after it had passed through all of that.

It feels pretty solid. The antenna is a 4' firefly. We'll see if the branches destroy the antenna or the mount and which one is the weak link!