K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Blue85
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

My 4 tire air up/down setup

To save time and effort on Silver Lake days, I put this together to try out. The basic idea is to tie all 4 tires together with air hoses and to air them all up or down at the same time. No repeated checks of pressure at each tire needed. Since my rig has pretty even weight distribution, equalizing them all to the same pressure is a good thing.

You can buy things like this, but they seem kind of expensive, seeing as most of us have some of the parts laying around anyway. $115 and the gauge is extra?

I think it's obvious from the pictures pretty much what is in the system. The key turns out to be the chucks. I picked up these at Harbor Freight and they DO NOT work for this application.

The problem is with the self closing valve. That pintle just rattles around in there and relies on the compressed air to close it. So you can't air down with it - nothing will engage the schrader valve on the tire. I disassembled them and added some springs that I happened to have on hand. Where did they come from? How should I know? Where did these buckets of used bolts and old car parts come from?

This allows airing up and airing down, but the valve and schrader take turns pulling in and out based on the feed pressure, which is quite annoying. So I made the pintle slightly longer with some solder on the tip. Now they work pretty much how I would want.

You would think the ideal hookup would be the hose from a pistol inflator, but a "straight-through" design has other issues. Why do you need the self shut-off? Otherwise you can never equalize the pressure. As soon as you pull one off, the air from the other 3 tires leaks out as you run around disconnecting them.

I also soldered up a little valve-stem type fitting to standard chuck fitting so I can air up from any standard tire-filling station.
37" SSR on recentered H1's, 4.88s, TPI 350 w/custom Megasquirt, Distributorless (Ford) ignition, built 700R-4, Fixed-yoke NP208, 1-ton C/V, 14B s/f with discs and traction bar, hydroboost, ORD leaf springs, Bilstein 5150s, custom bumpers, winch, sliders, etc.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Posted in reply to Blue85's post "My 4 tire air up/down setup"
Blue85
Supporting Member

What should be different?

First of all, these $5 Harbor freight plastic air lines kind of suck. They are always pulling on the air chucks. I would much rather use lines similar to what came in the back of my mini van:

The gauge I had sitting around is 200psi. 100psi is probably ideal. You would think 40 would be enough for tires and maximize your low pressure resolution, but it's easy to get the manifold over 80psi when filling off shop air.
37" SSR on recentered H1's, 4.88s, TPI 350 w/custom Megasquirt, Distributorless (Ford) ignition, built 700R-4, Fixed-yoke NP208, 1-ton C/V, 14B s/f with discs and traction bar, hydroboost, ORD leaf springs, Bilstein 5150s, custom bumpers, winch, sliders, etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Posted in reply to Blue85's post starting "What should be different? First of..."
Blue85
Supporting Member

*Reserved for OBA*
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Posted in reply to Blue85's post starting "*Reserved for OBA*"
four_by_ken

Funny, I just did something similiar for my Blazer. The tractor tires leak down after about 5 days... and it take a while to fill them.

So, I did the same with the 'locking' chucks. I dont care about airing down.

Works out great.
four_by_ken is offline   Reply With Quote