K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Posted in reply to CherryK5's post starting "That wouldn't cause them to come apart?"
C/Kjunkie

i Trader: (0 )

No worse than ArmorAll. You only want to soak the tread and sidewalls. It also depends on how bad they are dryrotted.

IMO, 500.00 for dry rotted tires is nuts. I would keep shopping for something better. I can tell you first hand what happens when you blow a 40 on the front of one of these rigs. It rolls over and over.
C/Kjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Posted in reply to C/Kjunkie's post starting "No worse than ArmorAll. You only want..."
CherryK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/Kjunkie View Post
No worse than ArmorAll. You only want to soak the tread and sidewalls. It also depends on how bad they are dryrotted.

IMO, 500.00 for dry rotted tires is nuts. I would keep shopping for something better. I can tell you first hand what happens when you blow a 40 on the front of one of these rigs. It rolls over and over.
I talked him down to 325. If nothing else I'll run them on separate wheels for the trails.

And he said they "arent bad" so I'll take a look see.
CherryK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Posted in reply to CherryK5's post starting "I talked him down to 325. If nothing..."
RootBreaker
Supporting Member

i Trader: (11 )

id run tubes in them if they are dry rotten..

we all know how it goes.. ok so dryrotten.. no biggie. ill just use them as trail tires... so when you are at the trail and need to zip down the road to wawa your gonna go... then 50-60mph.. POP.. swerve... BANG.. KABOOM...

or up on a muddy hill on an angle.. the angle of the fadangle of tread will make the crack separate and then sliding and rolling down you will go..

remember safety... #1..
while i love my ground hawgs (like those tires)..
they are bias ply.. rough and loud but i dont care...
i have a 5th in the bed... dry rotten to h3ll.. IF i need to use it and that is IF.. it is to limp out of there and somewhere safe... i wouldt run 4 dry rotten tires..

but all that is IMO.. im 39 and when i was younger I know what I would have told myself..

My Page - Currently up to date
My Build Page on CK5.com
RootBreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Posted in reply to RootBreaker's post starting "id run tubes in them if they are dry..."
CherryK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
id run tubes in them if they are dry rotten..

we all know how it goes.. ok so dryrotten.. no biggie. ill just use them as trail tires... so when you are at the trail and need to zip down the road to wawa your gonna go... then 50-60mph.. POP.. swerve... BANG.. KABOOM...

or up on a muddy hill on an angle.. the angle of the fadangle of tread will make the crack separate and then sliding and rolling down you will go..

remember safety... #1..
while i love my ground hawgs (like those tires)..
they are bias ply.. rough and loud but i dont care...
i have a 5th in the bed... dry rotten to h3ll.. IF i need to use it and that is IF.. it is to limp out of there and somewhere safe... i wouldt run 4 dry rotten tires..

but all that is IMO.. im 39 and when i was younger I know what I would have told myself..
We still don't know how dry rotten they are. My two year old maxxis tires. Made in '10, are cracked to hell around all the lugs.
CherryK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Posted in reply to CherryK5's post starting "We still don't know how dry rotten they..."
owenst7
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

I have a set of the 40x17s in my back yard. The rubber is hard as hell and they didn't get any traction in snow (I'm talking about deep snow runs in the mountains, not winter road driving BTW). They didn't work well on rocks due to the hard rubber. I did have plans to cut them though. I believe if you cut up the lugs in to smaller pieces and then siped the hell out of everything, they'd work pretty decent. The sidewalls are still extremely stiff though.

I did get mine for free FWIW. For $325, I'd run a smaller, more modern tire if you're not wheeling mud or flat land in deep snow.