K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

Remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Posted in reply to jekbrown's post starting "I think you should get some kinda prize..."
dhcomp
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

I don't get after it as hard, but do pretty well. Chase saphire, free for one year, 50k pts after the first purchase.

Purchase a couple other things on the card, cashed in the points, bought a new ipad + apple cover for about $60

91 V2500 Suburban - Tow/Travel Rig
08 BMW 550i/6 - DD

The Pessimist Complains About The Road. The Optimist Expects It To Get Better. A Leader Never Lifts The Throttle.
dhcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Posted in reply to dhcomp's post starting "I don't get after it as hard, but do..."
Jester1
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

I still hate credit cards!!!

But if Jek can get one over on Chase you go boy. If you can break them then my house will be free about the time the zombies show up. I hate Chase (only HSBC is worse imo) more than I hate credit cards. Besides ammo will be the new currancy and I am gonna be the richest man on the block.

Can you make your credit mojo make ammo cheaper?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Posted in reply to Jester1's post starting "I still hate credit cards!!! But if..."
2BLAZERS
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Congrats to you, I use debit/CC as little as possible. I pay all my bills as early as possible, transfer into savings until it hurts, pull the rest out as cash and try stretching the CASH out as far as possible...(my budgeting style)

It was way to easy for me to just swipe a CC or even the debit card knowing I could do it. To me its much harder to hand over cash for stupid stuff like Starbucks, Dutchbros, Monster drinks etc, and eating out etc...when I go shopping for big stuff I've asked and gotten many discounts for paying in cash Local tire store for pickup tires (6 dually). Got a huge discount for a new Honda Generator paying cash and buying local. (brought in a website price so they knocked off $150 to match it)

I do have credit cards just not using them much anymore. I found I just spent more freely then I should with them. Then choked on the CC bills 6 weeks later. But this is just me.
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 slide in camper
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid, Wife's car.
2009 Polaris RZR 800, lots of fun parts, Mine
2011 Polaris 550XP EPS, Ours
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, Mine.
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O., Her's.
2BLAZERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Posted in reply to 2BLAZERS's post starting "Congrats to you, I use debit/CC as..."
jekbrown
Supporting Member
Security Professional

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor
you ain't alone mang, the only reason chase or anyone else offers these rewards is because they know that at least 90% of the CC-using population is paying lots of interest and getting nailed with late fees left and right.

BTW, I should have added one other disclaimer: don't spend a bunch of money that you wouldn't have spent otherwise just to get a few bucks in rewards. In this particular case, I was going to buy the fence boards and the 2 other GCs were for planned purchases also. That's the way to do it. Chase offers 5% back on up to $1500 in purchases. Going on a $1500 spending spree in order to get $75 in rewards is madness.

On another note, I picked up the boards today on the way home from work and they are resting comfortably in my garage now. These boards are going along my existing chain link fence. I don't trust the strength of the existing posts, so I'm going to add some posts mid-span that are well anchored in the ground with concrete just to make sure wind doesn't smack down my purdy new fence!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." Ronaldus Magnus.

my 85 K5
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Posted in reply to jekbrown's post starting "you ain't alone mang, the only reason..."
imiceman44
Supporting Member

i Trader: (22 )

Yeah all these companies have wised up because of people like you and me.
I had limits of $300 of rewards per year on some card and $500 on others, and I maxed all of them. They offered unlimited air miles, but you opted for cash that was the limit.
Now Bank Of America is offering unlimited rewards with a 123 ratio can't remember what gets what but you can check it out on their website.
That would have worked for me, I never bought anything I didn't need, but I did use my credit card anytime it made sense, I even paid my rent with it and got some rewards from that too.
I paid my propery taxes when I bought a house too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post
you ain't alone mang, the only reason chase or anyone else offers these rewards is because they know that at least 90% of the CC-using population is paying lots of interest and getting nailed with late fees left and right.

BTW, I should have added one other disclaimer: don't spend a bunch of money that you wouldn't have spent otherwise just to get a few bucks in rewards. In this particular case, I was going to buy the fence boards and the 2 other GCs were for planned purchases also. That's the way to do it. Chase offers 5% back on up to $1500 in purchases. Going on a $1500 spending spree in order to get $75 in rewards is madness.

On another note, I picked up the boards today on the way home from work and they are resting comfortably in my garage now. These boards are going along my existing chain link fence. I don't trust the strength of the existing posts, so I'm going to add some posts mid-span that are well anchored in the ground with concrete just to make sure wind doesn't smack down my purdy new fence!
1985 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 6.2TD
1977 K5 chalet
1974 suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 350
1970 Chevy LB 2wd 396 BBC 700R4
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400
1965 Chevy Corvair coupe 110
1962 Chevy Corvair Van Greenbriar
1986 Honda 250 XL
1985 Honda Magna V45
1970 Wreidt 19' jet drive boat 455 olds
imiceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Posted in reply to imiceman44's post starting "Yeah all these companies have wised up..."
jekbrown
Supporting Member
Security Professional

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor
yeah, CF has no caps on regular spending...you get 1% on everything. The 5% catagories change each quarter and are capped at $1500 per quarter. It's usually not a problem for me, 'cause I don't spend all that much on stuff in their catagories. 1st Q was Amazon.com. My wife bought an elliptical, so that scored us some rewards, but we didn't even get to $1000 that quarter let alone $1500.

As far as charging stuff, I charge everything I can. About the only things I don't charge are my mortgage (BofA won't let me) and my groceries when I shop at Winco (they don't take them) and that's about it! medical bills, dentist bills, my wife's tuition, wallyworld stuff, online orders, cell phone bill, cable internet bill, anything I buy with paypal or on amazon, water bill, electricity bill etc all get charged.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." Ronaldus Magnus.

my 85 K5
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote