K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
BowtieBlazer

i Trader: (0 )

Re: NP208 Vs. NP241 Strength wise

I saw rene's writeup on the homepage and having rebuilt a 208 completely boy are they close, I am heading outside right now to drop a new chain in my 208, not broken but stretched I'll snap some pics, thats one hell of a chain to break, i'd like to see a broken one....
BowtieBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
Kyle89K5

i Trader: (1 )

[ QUOTE ]
The Dodge version is the 241HD and uses a wider chain and larger sprockets than the 241C.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the 241HD right?

Why does NVG state that they both have a "Max. Capacity Torque" of 5555 ft/lbs?

The 241HD weighs more, has more fluid capacity and a higher GVW than the standard 241. If my math is right (and GAWD know's it usually isn't) then if your 383 was putting out 400 ft/lbs * 3.06 * 2 (convertor) = ~2500 ft/lbs correct? I know there is some stuff missing in my calcs, and doing a full throttle launch into a mud pit is rough BUT, the only thing strong according to NVG in their lineup is the 261SHD and the 271/271HD.

My argument her (not that I really think it's an argument [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) is that the 241 is a plenty strong case who's major weekpoint is the fact that it's made from aluminum and therefore prone to getting cracked on shiat. Chain stretch is a concern, but a new high quality chain during a rebuild should take care of that for a few years...
Kyle89K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #13
rjfguitar

GM of the month Winner

I have a 241 from an 89' and I think it is a very nice t-cse. The low range is nice and low compared to a 205 and I have never had a problem with it besides popping out of 4HI until I had it rebuilt. The argument about the strength between a 208 and 241...I'm not sure and ahve heard that they are a little stronger but they are internally better as far as oiling and shifting. I think it is worthwhile to swap a 208 to a 241. I have never heard of anyone breaking the chain before in a 241 or 208 for that matter, but have only heard bad talk about them because of their aluminum housings and if you stay away from rocks thats not an issue. The slip yoke is another deal too...

I would say that he would be OK with 42's and a 383 but a 205 would probably be better just because it has a higher low range, if mud is the only thing he does.
rjfguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
Kyle89K5

[ QUOTE ]

I would say that he would be OK with 42's and a 383 but a 205 would probably be better just because it has a higher low range, if mud is the only thing he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the final axle gears, then that will depend on which one is better still yet. It's hard to make a justification without ALL of the cards on the table
Kyle89K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
heavy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
The Dodge version is the 241HD and uses a wider chain and larger sprockets than the 241C.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif[/img] Oops, my bad. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif[/img]

Even still, I say the NP241C will hold up fine behind a torquey 383. An NP241 sure wouldn't be the weak link in your driveline...you'll break d-shafts, u-joints, etc before the NP241 gives way.
heavy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:37 PM   #16
BowtieBlazer

SO ya'll got me flustered and I went out and dropped my t-case and wanted some internal pics to show you how similar the 241 and 208 are [img]/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif[/img]

replacing the chain so i snapped a few pics [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
these first few pics are from the SYE writeup on the home page

Now I pulled my tailshaft with one of the case halfs as I had no reason to go into the oiling part, I just rebuilt this t-case about a year and a half ago, should have done the chain then...
where i pryed them apart at notice the pump is still attached
Pump still in that half
Look familiar? inside of a 208 or 241? its a 208...but look at teh writeup can you tell me
OOPS for those rebuilding notice the needle bearings all over the bottom of the case, yeah forgot about those 120 of them, time to take a lunch
Popping out of 2hi? those of you with the popping out of two high, see the bushings on that C-shaped part thats the range selector fork and when those bushings on the ends and center go thats what causes that problem, the reason why i rebuilt this case a year and a half ago.......
Oh yeah and the stretched chain next to the new one, new on top old on bottom, not much but enough to cause play in the driveline, someone care to explain how you might break this?
chain 1
chain 2

back outside to reassemble
BowtieBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:05 PM   #17
heavy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah and the stretched chain next to the new one, new on top old on bottom, not much but enough to cause play in the driveline, someone care to explain how you might break this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of "go pedal" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

Personally, I've never heard of anyone breaking one...heard of busted/bent tailshafts, but no broken chains. I don't know why Tim said they are the weak link. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
heavy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
rjfguitar

GM of the month Winner

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I've never heard of anyone breaking one...heard of busted/bent tailshafts, but no broken chains.

[/ QUOTE ]Me either, I've never had a problem before with mine. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why Tim said they are the weak link. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Thats Tim, I could find plenty of other weaker points on almost any 241 equiped rig before the t-case chain would actually break. Like 1/2 ton u joints, front 10B, stock drivelines. I bet I would break my front 3/4 10B before my case. Even a 30 spline D60 stub shaft.... BranndonC broke his stub shaft a few weeks back at Pismo with his 1ton 89' K5 with a th700/241 combo. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif[/img]
rjfguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #19
K5er4Life

i Trader: (3 )

Someone was telling me that it wasnt so much the chain that was the weak link but some internal component that breaks first. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img] I cant remember what it was because of my horribly short term memory [img]/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]but it was something like a sprocket or gear that under torque loads gets pushed foreward and pops out causing the case to feel as though it has gone into neutral, permenantely. I dont think I have to worry about my drivetrain much, [img]/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif[/img] 14ff, dana60, and high angle 1-ton driveshafts. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif[/img]
K5er4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #20
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

Going off topic here, you can reply privately in a PM if you wish, but have you had the top ocver off of a 465?

If so, do you think those 208 or 241 shift "pads" could be made to work on the 465 shift forks?

I've been trying to figure out what pads could be made to fit the 465 forks when the nylon wears off, those in the picture look like they *might* do it. The fork looks to be pretty similar in that area...similar thickness perhaps?
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote