K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > Tow & Trailer

Remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
imiceman44
Supporting Member

i Trader: (22 )

Which trailer to buy? 28GN or 20BP

SO I am ready to buy a trailer and I was thinking 10k Bumper pull trailer so i was shopping for one and in CA I couldn't find a new trailer for under $4k out the door, so I recently saw one 14k trailer, deregulated to under 10k (9999) so I don't need a Class A license, for $4k out the door, then I saw a 28' Goose neck 14k low deck not deck over 83" inside fenders, for $5k out the door.
Which do you think I should buy.
The pros and cons:
20BP
-I can tow the bumper pull with any of my truck, all equiped to handle a 10K with one vehicle on it.
-No need for Class A
-Easy to park it in my driveway.
-Only one vehicle in tow ( I have 2 rigs)
-14k is more than enough to take a full size with all the trimmings and I never have to worry about the strength of the trailer.

28GN
-I have only one truck I will be equiping for handling that weight and a gooseneck hitch (sub is not made for a goosenck)
-I can put both my rigs on it.
-I need a class A
-Will be tricky parking it on my side yard (10'wide between fence and house and driveway is not long enough to fit a 28' GN.
-Only $1k more and I have 2 vehicles on it.
-14k is barely enough to take the weight of 2 rigs and it's 5200lbs weight.
imiceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
ugly_blazer

i Trader: (0 )

Re: Which trailer to buy? 28GN or 20BP

There has been a lot of discussion lately about trailers and weight ratings. As far as the bumper mount 10K trailer, you claim that all of your trucks are equipped to handle it. Does this mean that all of them have the 10K receiver hitch? Many of the receiver hitches on trucks are only rated at 600 tounge and 6000 trailer weight. If you have the 10K receiver on a truck large enough to pull a 10K bumper mount trailer then it would work OK. I currently have a bumper mount trailer and a 10K hitch, but can't wait until I can afford a gooseneck. Gooseneck hitches are often rated at 25,000 lbs gross trailer weight.
ugly_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
imiceman44
Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
There has been a lot of discussion lately about trailers and weight ratings. As far as the bumper mount 10K trailer, you claim that all of your trucks are equipped to handle it. Does this mean that all of them have the 10K receiver hitch? Many of the receiver hitches on trucks are only rated at 600 tounge and 6000 trailer weight. If you have the 10K receiver on a truck large enough to pull a 10K bumper mount trailer then it would work OK. I currently have a bumper mount trailer and a 10K hitch, but can't wait until I can afford a gooseneck. Gooseneck hitches are often rated at 25,000 lbs gross trailer weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know about the hitch ratings and yes mine are 10k with no Weight distributing device.
And all are long enough to handle better (Crew cab/Ext cab and suburban)
And yeah the reson I wanted the goosenack was the hitch was rated to handle 30k.
Anyway keep them coming I want more opinions.
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
BadDog
SOL

i Trader: (1 )

Article Contributor

Actually, IIRC, goosenecks can be had over 30k.

And with that much weight, I would be MUCH happier with a goose neck just for handling characteristics alone.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
BadDog
SOL

i Trader: (1 )

Article Contributor

Oh, and you can "deregulate" the trailer yourself. You just have to declare the rating when you register (at least in AZ). But if you get checked over the registered weight, it's gonna hurt... Not sure how they would catch you, or when they could check, but I understand the fine is rather large.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #6
ugly_blazer

Yes, 25K and 30K are probably the two most common, hardly ever will there be one under 25K, which is plenty for a 14K trailer.

I'm with you on the improved handling, especially on longer trips. I've seen a lot of bumper mount trailers (camper trailers and car trailers) jack-knifed and crashed but rarely will you see a wrecked gooseneck set-up.
ugly_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
therobzilla

My opinion & first hand experience:

I have towed with both, there is no comparision, go gooseneck if you can, it's worth it in the long run, much eaiser to use, much eaiser to tow with, and much more stable during the towing process in general.

It's a little more of an up front investment, but it's worth in in my opinion.

I towed for a long time with bumper pull trailers, and there is nothing wrong with them if they are set up the right way. Weight distributing hitches are a must for safe heavy weights, depending on your truck type, air bags are to be considered, sway bars etc... Class V hitch.

Up front if I had a choice, I would go gooseneck all the way. The saying amoung the towing world is once you tow with a gooseneck/5er, you will never tow off the hitch again... I am a believer in this statement.

Good luck, make sure you do some checking on e-bay for trailers, I got mine off e-bay, and saved many thousands of dollars, vs a new one, you may have to drive a bit, but it'
s worth it.

Good luck.

Rob
therobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
84_Chevy_K10
Banned

I just bought my brand new 14,000 lb GVWR 18+2 bumper pull for $2650 plus tax came to a total of $3034.25.

Don't get ripped off!
84_Chevy_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
imiceman44
Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought my brand new 14,000 lb GVWR 18+2 bumper pull for $2650 plus tax came to a total of $3034.25.

Don't get ripped off!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wish I could find anything close to that price out here.
I just talked to a guy who's uncle is a car dealer and he said he has connections with a Big Tex trailer dealer, he is going to see how much he can get me one.
I also am going to check on Ebay.
Well as I stated in my post I found these trailers at these prices, I know a gooseneck can be had at 20k and 25k and even 30 rating but this one is 14k for $5k so what i am comparing is GN vs BP and 28' vs 20' both in the 14k rating.
[img]/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
84_Chevy_K10
Banned

If I'd found a goosneck locally at that price I would have probably gone for it.

All I found locally was 20k +
84_Chevy_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote