K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
thezentree

i Trader: (1 )

i hate GM style side-post battery connections

what the hell was GM thinking with this brainiac move? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif[/img]

my truck (a 97 yukon) doesnt like to start anymore because the positive battery connection is not solid enough to supply the power to the starter. i replaced the bolt, hoping that was the problem, but its still doing the same thing. (of course advanced auto didnt have that bolt, theyre too busy stocking the rice aisle). but i digress...

anyway, i think the battery terminal may have gotten warped from a ghetto-rigged CB wiring job, and the added pressure of the crimp-on eye bolt doowhack (notice the technical language) that we used to connect the CB to the battery molded the lead terminal to compensate. now that the CB is wired not-so-ghetto-rigged, there is less contact area at the terminal. i need to fix this, im going - or planning on going [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] - on a road trip in a week.

any suggestions? buying a new battery is out of the question - its a red top.
thezentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
55Willy

i Trader: (10 )

Re: i hate GM style side-post battery connections

they make a bolt that serves as a hook up for more stuff, just slap one on first then make all your connections. Also it wasn't GM's ideas it was all car makers.

besides when ya bought the red top..should have got a dual post,LOL
55Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Hossbaby50

i Trader: (3 )

Use the top posts. Cut the side post off and get the clamp on top post connectors from the auto parts store. Problem solved.

Harley
Hossbaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

All I've got to say is that I have 100% less problems with corroded connections on the side terminals than I do with top terminals.

Also never worry about breaking the clamps, needing two wrenches to remove one cable, etc.

If the terminals stick out the side of the battery a little bit, I'd try and scrape them flat with a razorblade, but IIRC, there is a lip around the terminal so you couldn't easily do that.

Any warping bad enough to cause electrical problems should be pretty evident. My GM side terminal cables have little "teeth" on the connector that dig into the terminal, so even if it were warped, since it seats on the terminal when the bolt is tight, it HAS to make contact.

Then again, with that little lip around the terminal, perhaps you could be tightening a cable up against the battery case before it even makes contact, IF the terminal was recessed too far for some reason.

If it's like the older cables (I know GM has gone cheap on the replacement cables) you can pull the little bolt out of the cables boot to clean it. Even if it were the only thing screwed into the terminal, it SHOULD allow contact, but those things will corrode after awhile, and even though the ring terminal looks good, that bolt and what it seats against (the non-connection side of the ring terminal) could still be corroded.
dyeager535 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
pauly383
Daddy383

i Trader: (5 )

What I did was get a dual terminal battery . I run only the starter wire on the positive side post , and all my accessories on the positive top post . I haven't had a problem since changing over. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif[/img]
pauly383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
Z3PR
Banned

i Trader: (0 )

I usely buy the batterys with both top and side posts. Makes it easier for wireing up amps, CB, off road lights, ...ect.
Z3PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
thezentree

well, since the side terminal just fused itself to the bolt and pulled out, looks like i have to get the top post conversion. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

the side terminal has a little cup thing with threads in it that the bolt screws into. this cup is set into the lead of the terminal. that little cup thing broke free of the lead and rotated with the bolt. this is wonderful, since its a $130 battery. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

it should not take a hammer, screwdriver/chisel, and visegrips to get a battery connection apart.

also, what other car makers use sidepost style? i've only seen em on GMs.
thezentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
CyberSniper

i Trader: (0 )

It sounds like you did something stupid. Chances are if you stare at it long enough you'll figure out what you did that was stupid.

It's the operator, not the machine.

Sometimes factory cables are designed to work with a battery that has a shallow recess for the side post. If that recess is deeper then the insulator on the battery terminal will contact the plastic of the battery case. This causes people to do something smart like wrench down hard bending the cable terminal so it contacts the post. Other people are so unhappy they do something inane like strip the threads. Yet other people try to start the vehicle using nothing but that bolt as the contact area and wonder why they melt the threads out of the side post.

I like side post cables. They rarely corrode, they handle all the current necessary, and a single 5/16" wrench gets it off in no time. Furthermore, you can add more takeoffs using nothing more elaborate than a longer bolt.
CyberSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
Muddytazz
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

I've owned fords, chryslers, toyotas and a kia and some of those vehicles have the side ****ty posts. Anytime I own a vehicle and it comes with those stupid things, I completely replace both cables with the top mount style [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
Muddytazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
rjfguitar

GM of the month Winner

How about replacing the hot cable? I had a problem with my ground cable(side post), prelaced it, and problem solved.

I like the side posts better. I have a dual post battery and it makes it very easy to jump other vehicles.
rjfguitar is offline   Reply With Quote