K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > The Body Shop

Remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
6.2Blazer
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

pulling out dent - rear quarter/fender area

I had a pretty serious encounter with a large tree while climbing a steep rock ledge during last weekend's trailride......the right rear tire climbed the ledge first which in turned leaned the body to the left and slammed it into a tree on the left rear quarter leaving a nice vertical tree indentation just forward of the beginning of the taillight. The top rail is now bowed up, and the outer panel is dented so far in that the inner bed wall is also bent in. It's a trail vehicle with lot's of dents but I would like to pull this one out a little........

Anyway, any tips or tricks to pull the dent back out. There doesn't appear to be any way to get behind the outer panel to push it back out...unless maybe by removing the taillight assembly (which also got thrashed).
6.2Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
spearchucker

i Trader: (0 )

Re: pulling out dent - rear quarter/fender area

There a plate that bolts on with 2 or 3 bolts on the bottom. If you remove that then you can use Grim's trick of stuffing an uninflated basketball in there. Slowly inflate the basketball and use a 2ft long 2x4 to work the rail down flat. You should be able to make it so it doesn't look so bad.
spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Pookster

i Trader: (0 )

You have rear speakers? other than that... you should be able to get to it from the rear tail light assembly- I have a PDR kit, so I tend to use that...
Pookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #4
JK5

i Trader: (4 )

GM of the month Winner

Any pics???

Usually if the inner panels are damaged...
a porta-power or basketball...won't help much...

What you need is probably a good pull....from the side..
Can you close your tailgate???

I'd drill a 5/8" hole in the 1/4 panel through the inner panel...drill it in the worst damaged spot.

Then grab a 3"x10"x1/4" flat stock..drill a 5/8" hole in the center of that..

Now...put the flat stock on the inside of the inner panel..
run a long 5/8" #8 bolt through..untill it sticks out the 1/4.

Now...try taking a comalong..and make some pulls..

LOL...You could always stop by..and we could play... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Who knows...it may just need some slugs with a slide hammer.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
JK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Posted in reply to JK5's post "Re: pulling out dent - rear..."
6.2Blazer
Supporting Member

I probably should take some pictures before messing with it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

I've use the old basketball trip several times, usually on the doors. However, after pulling what was left of the tail light out you still can't get to the inner panel........appears to be a panel closing off the area. It DID have rear speakers, years ago, but they were built into the side panels and not the the inner box wall...so no access there. I'll take a closer look at the bottom panel and see if it is removeable (I've found on several occassions that the body on my '90 was built slightly different than what I've read on here...i.e. some panels that are usually bolted are spot welded, etc...).

The tailgate is gone and replaced with a support bar bolted to the where the latches were......if the tailgate would have been on it probably would have shoved the sides into it and not allowed opening.

I like the idea of putting some flat stock behind the fender and running a bolt through it either a comealong or slide hammer. Like I said....doesn't need to be perfect by any means since it will probably get bent again.

Of course, I kept looking at the sawzall............
Old 09-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
supersize75k5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

you guys are nutty...

I would head down to the wrecking yard, bring my cordless sawzaw, a 3/8 rachet, exstensions and some 1/2 inch sockets, a drill and get me a nice straight panel...

It will look great and may even take less time....I hate body work though..panels are the wave of the future... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

I know that does not help much..just what I would do, like I said though....I hate dents and major repair [img]/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif[/img]
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
6.2Blazer
Supporting Member

Yeah, good luck finding a straight, half-way rust free body part in the junkyards of Ohio................

Also don't forget this is pretty much a trail-only rig......and it will get dented again (unless I can come up with some effective body armor). Most dents are okay, just ones that completely change the look of the vehicle or hurt the functionality bother me.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
JK5

i Trader: (4 )

GM of the month Winner

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are nutty...

I would head down to the wrecking yard, bring my cordless sawzaw, a 3/8 rachet, exstensions and some 1/2 inch sockets, a drill and get me a nice straight panel...

It will look great and may even take less time....I hate body work though..panels are the wave of the future... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

I know that does not help much..just what I would do, like I said though....I hate dents and major repair [img]/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....What do you need all the tools for..
1/4 panels...usaully fall off after you remove the roof..around here.. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
JK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Posted in reply to JK5's post "Re: pulling out dent - rear..."
75-K5

i Trader: (2 )

[ QUOTE ]
1/4 panels...usaully fall off after you remove the roof..around here..

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, how true that statement is. Been there, done that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
75-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote