K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
rockspider

i Trader: (0 )

CUCV and overdrive solutions??

Hallo everybody,
This is my first post here!

I'm the proud owner of a CUCV M1028 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif[/img] with all the 1ton goodies 6.2 DD, TH400, NP205, Dana60/posi, Corp14/Detroit, plus nice things like the fully functional combat blackout lights, 4"lift and 35" BFG, ORD crossover and brace.

The only problem, like everybody knows, is that highway speed is a pain. I'm not gonna swap those offroad friendly 4.56, so am looking to other means to gain some speed.
One alternative is GearVendors OD, but the price $2595 is a bit [img]/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif[/img] on the high side for my wallet!!

Another could be swapping the old faithfull TH400 for a 4L80E fitted with a non-computer kit (stick/manual).
The idea is that maybe I could find a used 4L80 at a better price, and could also sell the 400 to balance the expenses.
Sounds right or crazy to you?
Can you help me?
I'm currently trying to get some infos on the 4L80, cause I've not seen one from real here (live in Italy...) and need to be sure that everything will bolt right up before buying something!
The 205 I have is a late model with the circular 6 bolt pattern, so I guess it should bolt right up. But what about output shafts and splines? Will I need some adapters?
Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for this so long post [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Alessandro
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
nvrenuf
Supporting Member
Bazinga!

i Trader: (17 )

Re: CUCV and overdrive solutions??

You 400/205 adapter will work for the 4L80E swap with some light mods. I found some old threads with the conversion info -

LOOK HERE

AND HERE

I'm not sure about the 4L80E tailshaft though, I think there is only 2 (2wd and 4wd) but I'm not sure.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
nvrenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
nvrenuf
Supporting Member
Bazinga!

i Trader: (17 )

BTW - That CUCV sounds like a nice truck and welcome to CK5!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
nvrenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
uao85

i Trader: (2 )

Yeah I would definitely go the 4l80e route. All you need is an adapter and your t-case already has a 32 spline output so your set. Welcome to ck5

Remington
uao85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
rockspider

i Trader: (0 )

Really thanks for those links! I found a lot of useful infos in them.
I read U2slow posted a pic of the modified 400/205 adapter, but the pic isn't available anymore. Is there maybe someone that saved that pic and would like to share it with me?

Also from what I understood I can machine my round 6 bolt 205 adapter to fit the 4L80E, but I will have problems with the 205 shifters? Is it real? how I can overcome this, is it something easy to homebuild or do I need some special parts?

Thanks!
Alessandro
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote