K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > Center of Gravity

Remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
sled_dog

i Trader: (3 )

Cutting brakes, can someone explain a bit to me?

Started thinking cutting brakes today. I thought I had a good grasp on it but I realize now I do not. I know what they do but not how to they work. I've always seen the big levers to actuate them between the seats on peoples rigs. But how is the braking force applied? Do you have to depress the brake pedal and hold one of the levers? Are they basically mechanical line locks then? A nice diagram of how to set them up with be great too. I doubt I will run them any time soon but I might build them into the rig just for the ease of doing it when constructing. WIll have a welded rear and Np241 so I wouldn't be able to just engage FWD(not sure thats a neccessity but in my mind it would be better that way).
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
BadDog
SOL

i Trader: (1 )

Article Contributor
Re: Cutting brakes, can someone explain a bit to me?

Typically the levers you've seen actuate small master cylinders that apply each rear brake independently. If you have a selectable locker, you can just put it in "open" mode and lock one wheel to try to pivot on the locked corner. How well it works depends on weight transfer and terrain. With an auto-locker rear, you put it in front drive and then you can apply only one lever to lock one side with the other free-wheeling. And with welded, it's like an auto locker except that you can not lock only one side and let the other free-wheel. Many people find that this works just fine and may work better than single side in some terrain and orientations.

Some also use line-locks, but they don't have levers and are not as easy/fast to use since they require hard brake pedal, apply lock, release, do maneuver, apply brake, release.

Physical installation requires considerable re-plumbing to get separate lines to the rear brakes but is not terribly difficult.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
sled_dog

i Trader: (3 )

so wait, are their two brake lines to the rear? I mean when you press the pedal do all 4 corners lock up or would only the front actuate with the pedal?
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
BadDog
SOL

Article Contributor

No, the brake pedal still works all 4 when the cutting brakes are not in use. And each cutting brake lever (typically) operate only a single wheel brake. If I'm not mistaken, to make that work you have to put the "T" in the line before the levers, then through the levers in route to the rear wheel brakes. In the neutral position, both cutting brakes would allow fluid to pass normally. But, when applied, the cutting brake cylinder/lever would block the inlet side and send pressure only to the rear brake. Otherwise, it would pressurize both rear lines, locking both wheels. The normal brake system would still work with the remaining 3 brakes while giving you control over one via. the cutting brake lever. I've never studied them or hooked them up, but that's my understanding of how it works.

But the easiest way is to just have one lever lock up both rear brakes, less plumbing that way. And a strong e-brake can do the same thing.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
PJTPW

I've got 3/4" bore CNC cutting brakes on mine. One line in, two lines out. Each handle locks one side. With a Detroit and front wheel only, I can pivot off either side. Having individual levers gives more control. You can pivot off either of the rear tires. Also when you need to pivot, and move forward at the same time, you can only lock one tire and the other can still turn to go over a rock, ledge etc. Pull up on both and you can lock both sides at the same time.

Here's what mine look like. They're behind the Art Carr and have an air hose over one of the arms.

Ryan
PJTPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Nonesuch

i Trader: (0 )

Where did you get that set-up? I was going to run mechanical dual e-brakes to each rear but I like this idea too. I also have a brake for the rear output of my Atlas but I really like levers [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
Nonesuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
BadDog
SOL

Article Contributor

CNC Brakes

Lots of online sources you can Google.

[ QUOTE ]
One line in, two lines out

[/ QUOTE ]
So basically the "T" I mentioned above is built in when you get the CNC dual cylinder kit.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
BadDog
SOL

Article Contributor

Nice diagram too...
Old 10-21-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
PJTPW

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get that set-up? I was going to run mechanical dual e-brakes to each rear but I like this idea too. I also have a brake for the rear output of my Atlas but I really like levers [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.funrunr.com/ cheapest place I found 84.00? dollars. Somewhere in that price range.

Yeah, I've got a highangle parking brake rotor on the rear flange of my 205. Works great. I just need to put the linkage back on it.

Ryan
PJTPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
Nonesuch

i Trader: (0 )

Thanks baddog

I found it searching on pirate not long after that post. I am definatly giving them a call and ordering a 3/4" bore twin stick. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
Nonesuch is offline   Reply With Quote