K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 69-72 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
tarussell

i Trader: (0 )

Eaton rear axles HO72 ???

Do the HO72 ( I think that's the number designation ) use a crush sleeve for pinion pre-load ? Just for clarification this is the rear axle that came in 1972 and older 3/4 Tons and has a 10-1/8" R/P - third member style chunk with removeable rear cover .
TIA , Tom
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Posted in reply to tarussell's post "Eaton rear axles HO72 ???"
supersize75k5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

I can look tommarow for ya, ut I cant answer untill then
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
tarussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersize75k5
I can look tommarow for ya, ut I cant answer untill then
COOL! Thanks !
Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Posted in reply to tarussell's post starting "COOL! Thanks !"
OrangeCrushK10

1 ton

This rear end should be a 1 ton, the 3/4 tons were a Dana 60.

But, as for our question I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry, but I'm new to this differential thing.

However, if you tell me what you're looking for I can go look at the torn apart Eaton in the garage and give you an answer!
OrangeCrushK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Posted in reply to OrangeCrushK10's post "1 ton"
toddol1971

some 3/4 tons had dana 60's, but most i see have the ho52's. I have a 68 2wd & a 71 4wd both with the eatons.
toddol1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Posted in reply to tarussell's post "Eaton rear axles HO72 ???"
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

All I can tell you is don't remove the "fill plug" like you think you know about from the 14-Bolts!!!!!

The bolt in that area is for pinion preload (not for gear oil filling!) as I found out the hard way about 12 hours before the last trip to Moab. Fortunately 4X4HIGH was there with an old, crusty shop manual to help me get things reset to factory specs.

The clue should have been that the diff cover has a fill plug in it (unlike a 14BFF).... sometimes I seem to overthink things too much.

BTDT.....

"...attention to detail combined with near-retarded levels of awesome..." - Z71paramedic
Greg72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post starting "All I can tell you is don't remove the..."
tarussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72
All I can tell you is don't remove the "fill plug" like you think you know about from the 14-Bolts!!!!!

The bolt in that area is for pinion preload (not for gear oil filling!) as I found out the hard way about 12 hours before the last trip to Moab. Fortunately 4X4HIGH was there with an old, crusty shop manual to help me get things reset to factory specs.

The clue should have been that the diff cover has a fill plug in it (unlike a 14BFF).... sometimes I seem to overthink things too much.

BTDT.....

I thought the ring gear deflection bolt was only on the HO110 rear ends ??? Do all HO72's come with the deflection bolt ? I have never really looked into these axles , all my knowledge is from what I have read so any help you can give me is a great help !
Thnaks , Tom
Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Posted in reply to tarussell's post starting "I thought the ring gear deflection bolt..."
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

Well don't take my comments as "gospel".....

The only Eaton I've ever seen was the one in my 3/4-Ton Burb (1972). That's the one I'm referring to, but I don't know specifically which Eaton model it is.

Mainly, I just wanted to give you a reminder to "assume nothing". I took my 14-Bolt concepts and misapplied them to the Eaton and caused myself a couple of extra hours of headaches, and nearly screwed up my departure to BlazerBash 2003.

While I'm thinking about it....Eatons have "through holes" from the diff cover into the casting, so you can actually drain the fluid without pulling the cover....just remove a couple of the lower bolts, and maybe one up top (to prevent vaccuum). I had a heck of a time trying to reseal the cover on mine, I used the "real" gasket the first time, then I tried thread sealer on all the bolts, then I finally decided to try that Permatex "Right Stuff" gasket maker product. The pumpkin has been completely dry (on the outside!) ever since. From now on, I'll probably just pull the bolts to change the fluid instead of dealing with that cover again.....

"...attention to detail combined with near-retarded levels of awesome..." - Z71paramedic
Old 01-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post starting "Well don't take my comments as..."
toddol1971

hey Greg, that ring gear preload bolt or whatever you call it, do you know how to set it. I did the same thing you did. i figured that you just check fluid levels thru the same hole you fill thru. I would love to know the correct procedure on how to set the proper load with that bolt. I was guessing that maybe you would torque it to some specified torque like 15ftlbs or some thing. Thanks Todd.
toddol1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Posted in reply to toddol1971's post starting "hey Greg, that ring gear preload bolt..."
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

Actually it's not a preload as much as it is a "clearance"

I think when we set it, the manual said to tighten the nut until it "bottoms" out and then back it off a specified amount (like 1/8th turn?) or something like that....

You'd have to send a PM to Scott (4X4HIGH) and ask him to look up the spec again.....just tell him I sent you, that should help (or not!)