K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Pookster

i Trader: (0 )

How much gravel or dirt can I haul?

I need dirt. Lots of it. and gravel. I think I would need like 3-4 pickup loads of dirt, and about 1 load of gravel.

Home depot is way expesive- the direct from mfg seems like the "logical" idea.

Is it better to forgo the pickup bed, and use my trailer? I have side pocket stakes and plywood I can use to make a box. This would allow me 8000lbs of dirt.

Q1: How much does gravel/dirt weigh by volume? aka, how much would 1 pickup load weigh?

Q2: Would it be unsafe to convert my trailer for such use? I dont know how well the wood steaks would like the abuse of several thousand pounds of force pushing it through the side..
Pookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
garlicbreath
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

Holy cow dood, get it delivered if you need that much!! Time+wood+materials+wear-N-tear+possible accidents= get them to deliver it in a dumptruck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homedepot.jpg (25.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg JACKASS2.JPG (26.5 KB, 65 views)
garlicbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

A few years back I was dropping gravel (well, actually river rock, maybe 3"?) in a friends yard with their '73 C20. It's been abused, so I'm not sure what the specs of the thing are/were.

When I went to get the rocks, I told them I wanted 1500lbs. They used a front end loader (big one, not a bobcat) and just "guesstimated" what it would weigh once I got to the scale for checkout. It's been awhile, but I know that truck was WAY overloaded. It did make the 5 mile or so trip. Bumper couldn't have been closer to the ground.

The rocks weren't spilling out, and when weighed, the load was right around 3000lbs IIRC. Gravel will be even more "dense", and if it's wet, that adds a bunch of weight too.

You'd need a fairly heavy duty trailer to handle that kind of weight, single axle utility trailers typically have a weak axle, and much weight will at the very least "U" the axle under load. You could easily bottom out the trailer suspension too. Depending on how far the stakes were apart I doubt it would be a big deal, I'd just be more concerned with the suspension.
"1985" K5: Vortec Headed Roller 355/MAF TPI/32 spline 465/205/10B-14SF/3.42's/33". Will be converted to MAP TPI in the future.

1987 K5: 350/TBI/700R4/208/10B F/R/3.73's/31" Someday will assimilate the "1985" drivetrain.

The answer to your carburetor problem is fuel injection.
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Posted in reply to dyeager535's post starting "A few years back I was dropping gravel..."
Pookster

Maybe Im overestimating? I know that in terms of dirt- I need... alot. I know 800 lbs of dirt was barely a quarter of my pickup bed. And it covered almost nothing. (20 40 lb bags). I could easily see using two pickup bed fulls. (which at that rate would be 3200 lbs per bed full).

My trailer is acutally a tandem axle car trailer from PJ's. They did include utility steak pockets, which was interesting, I never thought I'd use it, but...

The other thing is, how much is it for dirt delivery? Might just be worth it in time/effort/labor to just get it delivered....
Pookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Posted in reply to dyeager535's post starting "A few years back I was dropping gravel..."
darkshadow

i Trader: (10 )

call up an construction or excavation company and tell them you will take a load of fill.

they usualy are looking for a place to dump.

or get a landscapers truck like a f 550 or 650 with a dump and have them deliver it, make way more sence you would spend too much time running around
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Posted in reply to darkshadow's post starting "call up an construction or excavation..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
Remembering back to the days I worked with my Dad...he was a bricklayer. 1 cubic yard of (somewhat damp)sand was 3500 lbs. A pick-up box full level with the sides is about 1.75 cubic yards or 6100 lbs...

Gravel might weigh more per yard, but both are pretty dense. I'd have to say dirt would be lighter depending on how wet it is.

I remember seeing a full pallet (4' x 4' x 4') of jumbo's (large solid concrete bricks) and a yard of sand plus 6 bags of cement in the back of my Dad's truck Easily 8500 lbs. That was his old '68 Chev 3/4 ton. He often did that to his '76 Chev 3/4 ton crew cab too.

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
pauly383
Daddy383

i Trader: (5 )

You can have all you want , take it from my yard , I am tired of it , want grass now

**** this , the 83 is going back together , restoration my arse . Should never of tore it down to make buggy . Buggy can wait , wheeling my..... my sons baby can't
pauly383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
6.2Blazer
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

You won't be able to get a full pickup bed of either without way overloading your truck (not that people don't do it all the time, but..........).

If you need four pickup beds of dirt than I would just pay to have it delivered.......that much could easily be carried in one dumptruck load. Any place that sells top soil or gravel in bulk will either have their own fleet of dumptrucks or be contracted with a trucking company.

For how much dirt or gravel, most people not familiar with working with those materials typically way under-estimate how much is needed. You can make 10 tons of gravel disappear pretty quickly on a small driveway.
6.2Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Posted in reply to 6.2Blazer's post starting "You won't be able to get a full pickup..."
gravdigr

I can tell you that a grave is about 5 cu yards of dirt compressed (before it's dug). That much dirt comes out to 2 dump truck loads with a 10.5'x6.5' bed and probably weighs 5,000-6,000lbs per load. You would overload your pickup truck dramatically before the bed would overflow. I would suggest delivery unless you relish the idea of shoveling a few thousand pounds of dirt off your trailer. You could haul the dirt on your trailer no problem. My old dumptruck used sideboards that slid into the bed stake pockets and it held fine.

As for gravel, you really need to over estimate this. You may think 2 ton is a lot, it's not. My parking spot, which is just barely big enough to fit my K5 and F250 side by side, used 6 ton (12,000lb) of 1b gravel (1b gravel is about the size of marbles). If you step up to 2b you use a bit less but have bigger chunks to deal with. Also keep in mind the quarry may not let you leave over loaded. Our quarry is now making every vehicle register their GVW and if you are over it you have to dump off. So if your half ton pickup weighs 5k lbs you can only haul out 2k lbs of material. That can get to be a pain if you get loaded too heavy and have to shovel off 400 lbs of material. I suggest you just get it delivered and save your back.
gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
dwoods
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

Dirt and gravel weigh apox. 2300# a cubic yard (Dirt can be alot more if wet)
To figure aprox. how much you need (lenth x width x depth ) x 100 will give you in pounds how much you need.

It takes about 2 1/2 tons to fill a pick up bed.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.' ”

Jack Handy
dwoods is offline   Reply With Quote