K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
AudieMurphy

i Trader: (0 )

'84 CUCV 6.2L <- Aftermarket Air Conditioning?

I cant post in the DIESEL section without a subcription. (Id be very inclined to make a donation to a full service forum, not buy a subscription just yet.. I dont have a CK right now)

Anyway, I just got off the phone... A guy 2.5 hours from me has an '84 CUCV Blazer wtih 6.2L. (He wants $3,500... Dont sound too bad to me, hes gonna send pix. Its got 14bolt FF rear, 10bolt front, 4:10, TH-400, NP208)

As you know (And I know since Im retired from the Army and got swamp ass in many a CUCV ) theres no A/C.

Well, Ill be damned if Ill go without.

So, whats the possibility of adding A/C to one of this year/model, etc? Cost is not as much an issue as ability to add A/C. Id even look at an after market kit if there was one that would fit the 6.2D application.

If I get it, I *plan* on adding sound deadning, rubber floors, headliner and Paint her FIRE ENGINE RED. Also, full convert from 24 to 12. Did I mention I gotta have A/C?

(Note to subscribers: If I get this, or similar vehicle, Ill subscribe to CK5)

Thanks for your help,
Andrew
AudieMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

Eh. Why buy a military truck and make it civvy? I would just buy a diesel Blazer and be done with it.

The 24V on these trucks is done with two alternators, so there's nowhere to put the AC compressor. (Well, except the M1010 ambulance, but they have AC )

Anyway, if you're gonna buy a CUCV and repaint it and convert it and put AC on it ... you're gonna end up with a regular diesel Blazer. With no gauges, no overdrive, etc etc.

Go look at regular Blazers, with the 700R4 tranny, and AC, from the getgo. You'll be much happier. And you won't wreck a perfectly good military vehicle

-- A
1974 K5: Urban Smurf camo. Half cab. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag, behind the wheel ) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Traction Control (Detroit, ARB, light right foot)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Eh. Why buy a military truck and make..."
AudieMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremu
Eh. Why buy a military truck and make it civvy? I would just buy a diesel Blazer and be done with it.
It wont be turned into a civy truck, just have the options added that it is lacking.

There are no diesel civilian Blazers within 200+ miles of me either.

Quote:
The 24V on these trucks is done with two alternators, so there's nowhere to put the AC compressor.
Convert to true 12V, loose 1 alt, mount compressor in place?

Quote:
Anyway, if you're gonna buy a CUCV and repaint it and convert it and put AC on it ... you're gonna end up with a regular diesel Blazer. With no gauges, no overdrive, etc etc.

Go look at regular Blazers, with the 700R4 tranny, and AC, from the getgo. You'll be much happier. And you won't wreck a perfectly good military vehicle
Not really... IIRC, a civy Blazer is 1/2 ton, the CUCV is 3/4 ton, FF axles, already 4.10, 6.2L is in there. Swapping a 700R4 after the 400 dies shouldnt be a problem if I really want OD.

Basically, the CUCV is a tough as tank Army muel, compared to a civilian pony.

I dont want to keep it OD, already had an S-10 that I painted like that... Was cool for the 2 years I kept it.

So, with the updated points addressed, can I add A/C?

Thanx,
Andrew
Old 06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Posted in reply to AudieMurphy's post starting "It wont be turned into a civy truck,..."
k20
Supporting Member

i Trader: (4 )

actually, the 1009's still had the 10bolts front & rear I do believe, its just rated as a 3/4 because the mil's rating system is different. A civvy 1 ton would be rated at 1 1/4.

-1987 K/V20 -BG Speed Demon 496, TH400, NP208, 3/4ton 10bolt front, locked 14ff. 38x15.5 TSL/Radials, 16.5x9.75 MT Classic II's.

-1985 M1008- 6.2, sm465, twinsticked 205, D60, locked 14ff. 31" AT's

-2007 Silverado Classic 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW, Duramax LBZ, 5" straight pipe, 285/75/16, and a whole lotta gauges

k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Posted in reply to AudieMurphy's post starting "It wont be turned into a civy truck,..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudieMurphy
Not really... IIRC, a civy Blazer is 1/2 ton, the CUCV is 3/4 ton, FF axles, already 4.10, 6.2L is in there. Swapping a 700R4 after the 400 dies shouldnt be a problem if I really want OD.

Basically, the CUCV is a tough as tank Army muel, compared to a civilian pony.
The CUCV *Blazers* have the same 10-bolt axles, 3.08:1 ratio. I know, I have one

The CUCV *trucks* are what you're thinking of with the big axles and 4.10 and 4.56:1 ratios.

-- A
1974 K5: Urban Smurf camo. Half cab. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag, behind the wheel ) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Traction Control (Detroit, ARB, light right foot)

Old 06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "The CUCV *Blazers* have the same..."
AudieMurphy

Quote:
The CUCV *Blazers* have the same 10-bolt axles, 3.08:1 ratio. I know, I have one
I would agree with the above, but this guy has modded it in the axle/lift department already

* 4.10 gears front and rear
* 14 bolt 10.5" FF rear Lincoln locker (spider gear welded)
* 10 bolt font (stock CUCV) but has a Lock Right
* 4" suspension lift
* 36.5X14X15 tires (Sounds like HMMWV size tires to me?)

So, I could buy a civilian Blazer and spend $1,500 extra for the upgrades, or spend $1,500 less and already have them. (aside from the A/C of course, Im guessing $1,000)

Andrew
Old 06-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "The CUCV *Blazers* have the same..."
buffblazer

well since nobody is gonna ask the poor man's question about A/C i guess i will.............................................. .......i dont know i will help you out though everyone keeps telling you to buy a regular k5 with all the fancy gizmos already in it but that dont always work because mine has no A/C and its just a regular k5 like everyone else. (but i have the stock 4 speed on the floor which is rare for a 86 and everyone in my town is dying to see when im gonna sell it) so back to the subject since i dont know how your gonna have to ask someone else because i am wanting to do the same thing
buffblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Posted in reply to buffblazer's post starting "well since nobody is gonna ask the poor..."
AudieMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffblazer
well since nobody is gonna ask the poor man's question about A/C i guess i will.................so back to the subject since i dont know how your gonna have to ask someone else because i am wanting to do the same thing
God bless you Buff, and your at least on target with the reply. Adding A/C, I think it was.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Posted in reply to AudieMurphy's post starting "God bless you Buff, and your at least..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudieMurphy
God bless you Buff, and your at least on target with the reply. Adding A/C, I think it was.
Sorry, I thought I answered it. Pretty sure the AC compressor goes where the driver's side alternator is now ... maybe it's the other way around.

You could get aftermarket; I've not seen any kits for same, but then I've not looked.

To do factory, you'd need the factory compressor, condenser, all the hoses, the controls, the ductwork in the dash, and you'd need to replace the vents on the sides by your feet... oh, and the heater core box thing up in front of the glovebox and its plumbing.

If you could find an AC-equipped parts truck, even a gas one, you'd be much closer.

-- A

Old 06-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Sorry, I thought I answered it. Pretty..."
fireplug

i Trader: (3 )

I would have to say yes. And didn't "Trucks" advertise an aftermarket one for the 'Copperhead' truck?
fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote