K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
sled_dog

i Trader: (3 )

setting up a Dana 60 without a Case Spreader...

How is it done? I know how to get the carrier and gears out, but how do you guys setup a Dana 60 without a case spreader for installing?
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
mofugly13
Supporting Member

I set up my 70 without a case spreader, I just made sure the races were seated on the carrier bearing right and then started them into the housing, once started I gave it a few taps, alternating sides, with a rawhide mallet. I seated them the rest of the way by putting the bearing caps on and cranking down on the bolts alternately.

Thing is, you are either pro-freedom or you're not. That means the freedom to own a gun, the freedom to marry who you want, the freedom to determine your own identity.
A large part of being free is accepting that the freedom you have also will allow people to do things you don't find palatable...but the minute you attack their freedoms, you start eroding yours as well.
mofugly13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Posted in reply to mofugly13's post starting "I set up my 70 without a case spreader,..."
sled_dog

you didn't have to do that a couple times?(setting backlash) Seems like a pain, but then paying the big $$$ for a piece of steel is more of a pain I guess.
sled_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Posted in reply to sled_dog's post starting "you didn't have to do that a couple..."
mofugly13
Supporting Member

I had to do it 3 or 4 times. But the axle was on my garage floor, so I was able to point the pinion straight down an set the carrier in there, which is probably a whole lot easier than doing it with the axle installed.

Thing is, you are either pro-freedom or you're not. That means the freedom to own a gun, the freedom to marry who you want, the freedom to determine your own identity.
A large part of being free is accepting that the freedom you have also will allow people to do things you don't find palatable...but the minute you attack their freedoms, you start eroding yours as well.
mofugly13 is online now   Reply With Quote