K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Musclerodz

i Trader: (0 )

Teflon leaf spring liners

Where can i get teflon liners for my leaf springs. Just had them fresh powdercoated and want to eliminate some binding and possible squeaking. I checked with GM and everything up to 87 has been discontinued on their computers.

mike
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Posted in reply to Musclerodz's post "Teflon leaf spring liners"
Kiwi John

There is a thread posted on page 2 by scrappy88 titled 'UHMW-PE strips...' that has 7 replies with info to help you. Sorry I cant do the linking. just read it last nite.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Posted in reply to Kiwi John's post starting "There is a thread posted on page 2 by..."
blazinzuk
Supporting Member
Buzzbox voodoo

i Trader: (3 )

GM of the month Winner
Contact a local spring supplier or someone like Deaver or Eaton or National they should have what you are looking for
Eric W.
87 truggy "Horton"
89 Jimmy
86 crew cab currently building
blazinzuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Posted in reply to Musclerodz's post "Teflon leaf spring liners"
scrappy88

If you've got them apart and freshly powdercoated I'd skip those little spring pads and line the whole things with .030 to .060" UHMW-PE. Eliminates all metal to metal contact. It'll cost a bit more but I think it's worth it. I got mine at www.mcmaster.com and used the .050" adhesive backed in 6" wide.. just cut it to fit the springs. Part number is 7701T49.
scrappy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Posted in reply to scrappy88's post starting "If you've got them apart and freshly..."
HarryH3

Article Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy88
If you've got them apart and freshly powdercoated I'd skip those little spring pads and line the whole things with .030 to .060" UHMW-PE. Eliminates all metal to metal contact. It'll cost a bit more but I think it's worth it. I got mine at www.mcmaster.com and used the .050" adhesive backed in 6" wide.. just cut it to fit the springs. Part number is 7701T49.
If you look closely at the later model spring packs that have the sliders on the ends of each leaf, you'll see that the springs don't even touch each other. There is a spacer between each leaf at the center pin, and the slide pads at the ends, so there's always a gap between the leaves. Ya can't get much lower friction that that!
HarryH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Posted in reply to HarryH3's post starting "If you look closely at the later model..."
divorced

i Trader: (12 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3
If you look closely at the later model spring packs that have the sliders on the ends of each leaf, you'll see that the springs don't even touch each other. There is a spacer between each leaf at the center pin, and the slide pads at the ends, so there's always a gap between the leaves. Ya can't get much lower friction that that!
X2. I have been wondering if I could get some of the pads for the centering pin from the newer trucks and use them on my older springs?

And to the original poster - as someone else mentioned, try a local spring shop. I bought some locally for 75 cents a piece.

divorced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Posted in reply to divorced's post starting "X2. I have been wondering if I could..."
Musclerodz

I read the thread mentioned a couple a days ago but it has had a few more posts since. TO use those snaps I would have to drill hole in my springs and I don't want to do that. I have Grainger local to me, I will try them for the tape stuff. Thanks

Mike
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Posted in reply to divorced's post starting "X2. I have been wondering if I could..."
HarryH3

Article Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by divorced
X2. I have been wondering if I could get some of the pads for the centering pin from the newer trucks and use them on my older springs?
Those "pads" at the center pin are just pieces of galvanized sheet metal. Maybe 1/16th of an inch thick.

I looked into adding the plastic sliders at the ends of the springs to an older set of springs. The spring shop said $5 PER HOLE DRILLED, so I just grabbed a set of newer springs and freshened 'em up instead.
HarryH3 is offline   Reply With Quote