K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

Remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
stallion85

i Trader: (5 )

I won a custom Christensen Arms rifle....need your opinions.

I went to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet in Cedar City Utah this weekend and won one of the raffles. I was able to choose anything they had on the live auction, so of course I chose the best prize out of them all. Any caliber rifle custom made by Christensen Arms.

I was wondering what the debate would be. I hunt Elk with my Ruger 7MM. I want to get a gun I would never buy, I was thinking a 300 Win Mag. I have no experience with this rifle, but do know it is a bad mama jamma .

If you guys were in my shoes what gun would you get and why. Keep in mind I get any stock I want too.....

Here is a link to there site http://www.christensenarms.com/##
stallion85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Jagged

i Trader: (3 )

I hate you.
Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
3 on the tree

i Trader: (0 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion85
I went to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet in Cedar City Utah this weekend and won one of the raffles. I was able to choose anything they had on the live auction, so of course I chose the best prize out of them all. Any caliber rifle custom made by Christensen Arms.

I was wondering what the debate would be. I hunt Elk with my Ruger 7MM. I want to get a gun I would never buy, I was thinking a 300 Win Mag. I have no experience with this rifle, but do know it is a bad mama jamma .

If you guys were in my shoes what gun would you get and why. Keep in mind I get any stock I want too.....

Here is a link to there site http://www.christensenarms.com/##
.300 Pegasus-3700 fps with 150 gr slug!!!!!!!
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Posted in reply to 3 on the tree's post starting ".300 Pegasus-3700 fps with 150 gr..."
mofugly13
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

.338 Winchester Magnum!

Man, what an awesome prize!

Thing is, you are either pro-freedom or you're not. That means the freedom to own a gun, the freedom to marry who you want, the freedom to determine your own identity.
A large part of being free is accepting that the freedom you have also will allow people to do things you don't find palatable...but the minute you attack their freedoms, you start eroding yours as well.
mofugly13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Posted in reply to mofugly13's post starting ".338 Winchester Magnum! Man, what..."
mikey_d05

i Trader: (6 )

GM of the month Winner
You can't go wrong with a .300 win mag. We own two and they'll knock down just about anything and are still shootable at the range without killing your shoulder.
mikey_d05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Posted in reply to mofugly13's post starting ".338 Winchester Magnum! Man, what..."
stallion85

Did I mention I only put in $20. LOL My father in law was pissed. It was my first RMEF banquet and his 6th. I guess you gotta get lucky sometime.

The funny thing was when they were anouncing the winner I was coming back from the bathroom and I saw my wife walking up to the front. I immediately convened before she opted for the "Ducks in a Bidhouse sculpture". I calmly said baby hold on a second. Sir, she wants the rifle.....lol
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Posted in reply to mikey_d05's post starting "You can't go wrong with a .300 win mag...."
stallion85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_d05
You can't go wrong with a .300 win mag. We own two and they'll knock down just about anything and are still shootable at the range without killing your shoulder.
Cool, you never know what kind of game you will hunt in the future so I think this would be good for just about anything, right?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Posted in reply to stallion85's post starting "Cool, you never know what kind of game..."
mikey_d05

i Trader: (6 )

GM of the month Winner
Pretty much. I usually use my .243 or .270 for deer and antelope hunting unless it's pretty windy and I know I'm going to need to reach out and touch something. Bagged an antelope two years ago with my .300 at about 350 yards. Good cartridge, fast and heavy enough for just about anything, and ammunition is readily available as are dies and reloading tables (if you reload).
mikey_d05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Posted in reply to mikey_d05's post starting "Pretty much. I usually use my .243 or..."
odoa3
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Well, if you wanted to get something that you would never buy for yourself- and enough knock down power to stop anything on the earth, - the Carbon Ranger looks like the gun to get. .50 caliber with 5 shot magazine.....I am drooling!!!!!! Knocking an elk off it's hoofs at a mile...... it just doesn't get any better than that!

If you can't get that, go for a .300 Win Mag. Awesome ballistics and really not that bad to shoot. I grew up on Kodiak Island, AK and have seen a number of bears dropped with the .300 Win Mag with no worries. Would be an excellent long distance elk /mulie/white tail gun as well.

But for all of us shooters who will never be able to get a .50 try for that, PLEASE!

If silence is golden, why is duct tape silver?
odoa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Posted in reply to odoa3's post starting "Well, if you wanted to get something..."
spongeidys

i Trader: (2 )

i also say go for the 50 cal carbon ranger ;D
spongeidys is offline   Reply With Quote