K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > Tow & Trailer

Remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
BlitzK5

i Trader: (0 )

Need to now what size of trailer can be used without brakes

At what size of trailers do you need brakes installed. Is it a weight thing or a tandem axle thing. Im trying to find a trailer to go pick up my balzer however the ones im finding to rent all have brakes installed and the 1 ton I can use to tow my blazer with does not have the brake hook up.
BlitzK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Can Can
Pusher Man

Taken from the Alberta Highway Traffic Act:

- If gross laden weight of trailer is 909 kg / 2,004 lbs or over, or if gross trailer weight is over half that of the unit, independent braking system is required.

- Not required for trailers with a gross laden weight of not more than 910 kg (2006 lbs) or trailers with a gross laden weight of less than half of the weight of the towing unit.

- Breakaway brakes are required on trailers over 907 kg (2,000 lbs)

So, YES, if the weight of the trailer and the weight of the load is more than 2004 pounds combined, the trailer needs it's own braking system.
It's always going to be the minority that carries the day via bold action.

jekbrown - concerned about the fact that too many of us take our "rights" for granted
Can Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Posted in reply to Can Can's post starting "Taken from the Alberta Highway Traffic..."
BlitzK5

Ok thank you
BlitzK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Posted in reply to BlitzK5's post starting "Ok thank you"
Hossbaby50

i Trader: (3 )

Most of the US requires brakes above 3000 lbs. Some states are higher but the highest I remember was Texas @ 4500lbs which is still less then a K5.

Harley
Hossbaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Posted in reply to Hossbaby50's post starting "Most of the US requires brakes above..."
gmc4cw

i Trader: (13 )

GM of the month Winner
you can buy a decent brake controller for around $100. then you will always have it. I have flat towed fullsize stuff. it's not fun. adding the weight of a trailer to the mix without brakes is inviting disaster. most of the rental places down here have surge brakes on the trailer. no need for a controller.
gmc4cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Posted in reply to gmc4cw's post starting "you can buy a decent brake controller..."
Hossbaby50

i Trader: (3 )

Towing with a trailer with no brakes can actually be better then flattowing because with a trailer it at least adds tongue weight to the truck to help it not push the tow vehicle around quite as much.

Matt (az-k5) has done both and thought the trailer with no brakes was better for this reason. With his K5 on a towbar it would try and push the rearend of his 3/4 ton K20 around more because of the lack of tongue weight.

Harley
Hossbaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Posted in reply to gmc4cw's post starting "you can buy a decent brake controller..."
az-k5

i Trader: (2 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc4cw
you can buy a decent brake controller for around $100. then you will always have it. I have flat towed fullsize stuff. it's not fun. adding the weight of a trailer to the mix without brakes is inviting disaster. most of the rental places down here have surge brakes on the trailer. no need for a controller.
I have towed my truggy in every way possible.

Tow strap (need a second driver)

Tow bar: pushes the rear of the truck around bad when breaking and/or turning

Trailer w/o brakes: still pushes but doesn't spin it out, much more controlled than flat towing but sucks in dirt (hard to stop in dirt). <- it was a loaner

Trailer w/brakes: only way to do it repeatedly.

I wouldn't want to flat tow my rig again. I would get a U-hual with serge brakes first, or a trailer with no brakes. I have a manual tranny so that is why I can control the brakeless trailer.
az-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote