K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
OKIEnVA

i Trader: (0 )

91 blazer keeps cutting out while driving

all right guys heres the problem, ill be driving down the road and all the sudden starts cuttin out and then dies. and wont start back up until next day sometimes after an hour or so, was thinkin fuel pump i know im not getting fuel but im also not getting spark, and fuel pump was replaced barely over a yr ago. replaced ignition switch and module so far. any thoughts would be appreciated thanx.
OKIEnVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
dyeager535
Supporting Member

i Trader: (6 )

It's probably not your fuel pump. If you aren't getting spark, the injectors don't fire, so it will never start.

Check the easy stuff...fuses, cap/rotor, etc. Good visual inspection.
"1985" K5: Vortec Headed Roller 355/MAF TPI/32 spline 465/205/10B-14SF/3.42's/33". Will be converted to MAP TPI in the future.

1987 K5: 350/TBI/700R4/208/10B F/R/3.73's/31" Someday will assimilate the "1985" drivetrain.

"I'm not posting here because I get a hard-xx when my fingers smash into the keyboard."-Jim85IROC thirdgen.org
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Posted in reply to dyeager535's post starting "It's probably not your fuel pump. If..."
OKIEnVA

put new cap and rotor on also. the truck starts, so i dont think its a fuse or else it wouldnt start all the time. instead of just die out sometimes. it has died wwhile driving and while idling, once it dies and u turn the key it will get a little kick over for a split second right when u release the tumbler.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Posted in reply to OKIEnVA's post starting "put new cap and rotor on also. the..."
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
On a GM vehicle that loses spark the first thing to replace is the ignition module, then the pick up coil inside the distributor and lastly the ignition coil. I just had a friend have this happen and it turned out to be a bad pick up coil. You must remove the distributor and pull it completely apart to change that item. It is easy enough to do but sucks that you must pull the dizzy.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Posted in reply to 4X4HIGH's post starting "On a GM vehicle that loses spark the..."
Thunder

X2 on the pick up coil. It is what the ECM uses to see a spark reference. If the pick up coil is bad. You will get no spark. ECM sees this and cuts fuel off.
It is common for them to act up after the engine is warm.
Also when you changed the dist module did you use plenty of the white grease on the back of it?
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Posted in reply to Thunder's post starting "X2 on the pick up coil. It is what the..."
OKIEnVA

yea fellas, put plenty of grease under the ignition module, and found out yesterday that im not getting ground to my injectors, and im pretty sure on the pick up coil. so now my question is should i just get a pick up coil or whole distributor? thanx for all the help.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Posted in reply to OKIEnVA's post starting "yea fellas, put plenty of grease under..."
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
If you can't change the pick up coil yourself or have someone do it cheaply for you then i would say buy a distributor. Keep in mind that the rebuilt distributor has used electrical parts in it and could fail soon after you install it. Not saying that a new part won't fail but buying a new part and installing it yourself is definately cheaper and probably less likely to fail in short order than a used electrical item.