K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 69-72 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
fear_nothing
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Sick of the Leak - top repair help needed

Heres my Rig, 1969 Blazer - 4x4. Had it about two months! Not afraid to admit I bought somelses rig Searched the internet for a while before I settled on this one. Now its time to start fixing some of the little things. So the top leaks at the point where it meets the top of the windshield. The drivers side top the nut is stripped off inside the top. Besides running topless what the best method for fixing this issue? For the most part the top is sound, save for the wear and tear one would expect from an older truck.

Thanks!
fear_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
K85 Octane
Supporting Member
Tacklin fuel

i Trader: (9 )

GM of the month Winner
nice 1st gen crazy exhaust exit

that is all

Oh, and it's mandatory we get more pictures of a new member's ride. I don't make all the rules, just the imaginary ones.

*1985 K5 Silverado "Bender"
*1968 C10 "New Tricks"
*2001 S10 ZQ8 4.3 DD
*2004 TRX450R

K5 Build Thread
C10 Build Thread
K85 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Posted in reply to K85 Octane's post starting "nice 1st gen :) crazy exhaust exit ..."
NorCal69
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

Yep, I agree with K85 and his imaginary rule of more pics.

I do love that grill on your rig. IMHO it's the best front end of them all, but I might be a little biased.

As far as the top, are you talking about the bolt that goes into the windshield frame on either side of the rear view mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
An "inexpensive" 1st Gen is one of the most expensive trucks you will ever buy.....

-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp71k5 View Post
Double that estimate and add two hours. This applies to every repair.
NorCal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Posted in reply to NorCal69's post starting "Yep, I agree with K85 and his imaginary..."
ashman
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
sounds to me like he's talking about the bolt that goes vertically through the visor support.

you could try to retap the threads to get it to hold, but that might be easier said than done. as I recall on mine the "nut" (if its like the side rail "nuts" its more like a small metal plate with a threaded hole in it.) that is up inside the top moved around quite a bit, so it would be tough to get it to hold still long enough to get a good bite.
you may also need to replace the seal that goes across the top.

of course I've had a soft top on mine for 10 years now, so my knowledge isn't exactly "current". :P

and I'm with the others, more pics = better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve991 View Post
Instead of Prime Numbers 18436572 should be the Universal Code for communication between intelligent species.
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Posted in reply to ashman's post starting "sounds to me like he's talking about..."
NorCal69
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post
sounds to me like he's talking about the bolt that goes vertically through the visor support.
Huh, I don't remember one there. Is that for a single or double wall top?

Quote:
An "inexpensive" 1st Gen is one of the most expensive trucks you will ever buy.....

-G

Quote:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Posted in reply to NorCal69's post starting "Huh, I don't remember one there. Is..."
ashman
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
double wall.
hard to tell for sure from the pic, but that looks like a double wall top to me.

on double wall tops there is a vertical bolt that goes up through each sun visor, along with the 2 near the middle that go horizontally into the windshield frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve991 View Post
Instead of Prime Numbers 18436572 should be the Universal Code for communication between intelligent species.
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Posted in reply to ashman's post starting "double wall. hard to tell for sure..."
NorCal69
Supporting Member

Yep, thanks. Now I remember. It's been a little while since I've cranked the top down or even had visors on for that matter.

Quote:

-G

Quote:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

Welcome to the site!

The problem you'll find with the hardtop is that there are a lot of individual seals that probably need replacing..... And once you spend a small fortune on all new seals it will probably still leak a little bit in the upper windshield corners. They simply weren't that well designed originally...... Remember these were "farm trucks" not street trucks when they were designed by GM so a lot of the little details were ignored in the name of cost savings.

One last clue, the original top came with small rubber deflector "wings" on both sides... Most people rip them off either accidentally or on purpose if they remove the top frequently. You might not even have them on yours... But they are available as reproductions.

-G

"...attention to detail combined with near-retarded levels of awesome..." - Z71paramedic
Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Posted in reply to ashman's post starting "sounds to me like he's talking about..."
fear_nothing
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman View Post

you could try to retap the threads to get it to hold, but that might be easier said than done. as I recall on mine the "nut" (if its like the side rail "nuts" its more like a small metal plate with a threaded hole in it.) that is up inside the top moved around quite a bit, so it would be tough to get it to hold still long enough to get a good bite.
you may also need to replace the seal that goes across the top.

of course I've had a soft top on mine for 10 years now, so my knowledge isn't exactly "current". :P

and I'm with the others, more pics = better.
Yup thats the one.... mine has two holes? One is stripped and the other does not line up. Seal seams decent, I'm guessing my leak will go away once I'm able to snug down the top at the corner.

As far as the exhust, sweet flowmasters but they need to dump out the back. Try talking on a cell phone with the windows down... not happening
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post starting "Welcome to the site! The problem..."
fear_nothing
Supporting Member

The wings are still there. Your prob tired of all the praise Greg72 but I've read all 100+ of your build & your fab skills blow me away. I've got a roll cage in the works, actually had it all measured up today. The compound bends and angles are beyond me at the moment, not to mention my trusty stick welder makes some bugly welds