K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 69-72 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "As a side note I side tracked myself..."
bigblock72
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

GM of the month Winner
Getting back to the task at hand.

The motor is pretty much ready to fire up, just need to bolt up the throttle body to the blower, change a couple of things in the PCM software (injector sizing and figure out the 2 bar MAP software patch). All of the wiring is basicly done and has been function tested, the fuel system is all connected and pressure tested etc, etc.

The 4l80e is in and wired/plumbed, the t-case changed to driver's drop 241 to work with the front end. I had to change the 14 sf housing to work with the slightly narrower 8 lug axle shafts, also added rear disc brakes with dual piston calipers and 13 inch rotors to better match the rather large Super Duty brakes on the front end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0912.JPG (163.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0908.JPG (195.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0900.JPG (217.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0911.JPG (214.4 KB, 3 views)

72 K10: the garage queen

94 C3500 dually 454 w/whipple

01 Yukon XL 8.1 stock
bigblock72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "Getting back to the task at hand. ..."
bigblock72
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
So what's left? I have a list of 20 or 30 items to finish up before I tear it all back apart to weld, clean up, paint/powder. Some items include: hydraulic bump stops, finish the radius arm mounts/transmission crossmember, exhaust, gears and locker for the 60, fire engine, and build a new heater box.

A lot (not all) of the gooey parts and crustiness will get cleaned up at that point. I'm going for a presentable and reliable rig that will get used hard, I already have a pretty garage ornament and don't need another.

The ultimate goal is to have it up and running for Thanksgiving. My wife insists that the Thanksgiving Moab trip will happen with or without me and the Blazer. I think I have a lot work to do in the next 2 months.

Hopefully things will mellow out around the shop so I can get it all done and maybe do some real time updates.

01 Yukon XL 8.1 stock
Old 09-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "So what's left? I have a list of 20 or..."
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

Nice goin' Chad!

Couple of quick questions.....

What is your 4L80E setup going to be...MVB, or standalone controller? CompuShift?

As I've been going through my own head-scratching about cagework and suspension, I'm really paying attention to how other people tie-in the cage to the frame and still deal with the flexible body mounts. Did you decide to give up on bodymounts and just go solid in those spots? I see that you're tied in to the frame (across the body mounts) at the firewall but I don't see any sort of flexible mount there to de-couple the body from the frame?

I'm really having a hard time coming up with a solution for the rear coilovers in mine. I want to build the upper mounts to the cage like I see everyone else do, but the cage and body are soft-mounted to the frame with the rubber body mounts. So as the shock compresses, it's going to want to flex the body mounts every time also....not good.

"...attention to detail combined with near-retarded levels of awesome..." - Z71paramedic
Greg72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "Here are some more pics of the interior..."
LUBA

i Trader: (4 )

Awesome cage. I am going to bend one for my blazer soon. There are so many nice designs on this site. Your dash is pretty cool. What size tube did you run?
LUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Posted in reply to Greg72's post starting "Nice goin' Chad! :saweet: Couple..."
bigblock72
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
Nice goin' Chad!

Couple of quick questions.....

What is your 4L80E setup going to be...MVB, or standalone controller? CompuShift?

As I've been going through my own head-scratching about cagework and suspension, I'm really paying attention to how other people tie-in the cage to the frame and still deal with the flexible body mounts. Did you decide to give up on bodymounts and just go solid in those spots? I see that you're tied in to the frame (across the body mounts) at the firewall but I don't see any sort of flexible mount there to de-couple the body from the frame?

I'm really having a hard time coming up with a solution for the rear coilovers in mine. I want to build the upper mounts to the cage like I see everyone else do, but the cage and body are soft-mounted to the frame with the rubber body mounts. So as the shock compresses, it's going to want to flex the body mounts every time also....not good.

The 4l80e will be controlled by the GM computer that runs the 6.0l. Nice and simple.

As for the cage I have mine tied solidly to frame while the body floats on the stock style urethane mounts. Having the cage soft mounted hampers the cages ability to strengthen the frame so you definitely need to mount it solidly. Having the body soft mounted seems to work fine even with the cage being mounted solidly. My previous cage was set up the same way, so I have almost four years of having it mounted this way with no stress related issues to speak of, except for my broken front fenders from the additional stress on the unsupported front section of frame.

When I originally mounted the cage to the frame I noticed a difference in the way the blazer handled and also the number of creeks and pops the body made went down a lot. The one thing that I didn't notice was an increase in noise and only a barely detectable amount of driveline vibration that I hadn't felt previously. As far as my results go it was a win-win situation.

I'm hoping the additional support from the front half of the cage will reduce body/frame flex even more and make it feel even more solid on rough roads and maybe even fix the broken fender issues.

01 Yukon XL 8.1 stock
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Posted in reply to LUBA's post starting "Awesome cage. I am going to bend one..."
bigblock72
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBA View Post
Awesome cage. I am going to bend one for my blazer soon. There are so many nice designs on this site. Your dash is pretty cool. What size tube did you run?

It's mostly 1.75 with some 1.5.

01 Yukon XL 8.1 stock
Old 09-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "The 4l80e will be controlled by the GM..."
LUBA

i Trader: (4 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock72 View Post

As for the cage I have mine tied solidly to frame while the body floats on the stock style urethane mounts. Having the cage soft mounted hampers the cages ability to strengthen the frame so you definitely need to mount it solidly. Having the body soft mounted seems to work fine even with the cage being mounted solidly. My previous cage was set up the same way, so I have almost four years of having it mounted this way with no stress related issues to speak of, except for my broken front fenders from the additional stress on the unsupported front section of frame.

When I originally mounted the cage to the frame I noticed a difference in the way the blazer handled and also the number of creeks and pops the body made went down a lot. The one thing that I didn't notice was an increase in noise and only a barely detectable amount of driveline vibration that I hadn't felt previously. As far as my results go it was a win-win situation.

I'm hoping the additional support from the front half of the cage will reduce body/frame flex even more and make it feel even more solid on rough roads and maybe even fix the broken fender issues.
So other than the floor plates, your cage isn't tied into the body at all? I thought I saw some mounts on the front of your cage that possibly bolts or ties into the windshield frame?
LUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Posted in reply to LUBA's post starting "So other than the floor plates, your..."
bp71k5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (14 )

Way cool to see. Any chance of some overall pictures of the engine bay and shock mounts?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Posted in reply to bp71k5's post starting "Way cool to see. Any chance of some..."
AJs72K5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

That's what I'm talkin about!

Cruiser Crawler Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Posted in reply to bigblock72's post starting "As a side note I side tracked myself..."
79rustyk10
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

thats a damn sexy lookin truck! Im a sucker for a two tone 71 or 72 though.