K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
RENO88

i Trader: (0 )

Teflon tape to stop oil leak from plug?

So I've alsways had a small leak coming from my oil pan drain plug. Today, I changed my oil, new plug and its still leaking from there. Im thinking the jack-ass previous owner over torqued it a few times. Should I try teflon to prevent oil pan replacement? I dont want anymore oil stains in my driveway!!
RENO88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Streetgliderx

i teflon mine on a 98 ton454 i got those qualified goodWRENCH techs at the jiffy lube partially stripped mine one time i use tape and a dap of pipe thread sealer we use on gas lines. works good i have teflon and sealer on threads tested to 2800psi it holds.
Streetgliderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Posted in reply to Streetgliderx's post starting "i teflon mine on a 98 ton454 i got..."
RENO88

Nice! Good to hear that it worked for you. I'll be doing this myself this weekend at the latest.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Posted in reply to RENO88's post starting "Nice! Good to hear that it worked for..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
If I recall right, there should be a captive copper washer on your drain plug. I'd make sure that was still there first. If the washer is still there, and the threads on the pan are OK, it shouldn't leak and shouldn't take a ton of torque to get it tight enough to not leak.

The seal area isn't the threads themselves, but rather the seating face where the drain plugs tightens up to.

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "If I recall right, there should be a..."
RENO88

There's still a washer there, Its new with the plug. I figure I'll try to save a little change in hopes of not replacing the pan. You know what I mean? I know what I mean Gotta try it.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Posted in reply to RENO88's post starting "There's still a washer there, Its new..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
So the threads in the pan are a bit 'dodgy'... is that what you're saying?

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Posted in reply to RENO88's post starting "There's still a washer there, Its new..."
redneckdude

i Trader: (3 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENO88 View Post
There's still a washer there, Its new with the plug. I figure I'll try to save a little change in hopes of not replacing the pan. You know what I mean? I know what I mean Gotta try it.
IF it is slightly stripped...and that doesn't solve it, you might want to give an oversized plug a shot. they make single and double oversized plugs. it acts as a tap the first time it goes in so it does remove some metal but usually works.
redneckdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Posted in reply to redneckdude's post starting "IF it is slightly stripped...and that..."
RENO88

Ok Redneck, I'll try the teflon first, then oversize plug. I think I'll order a new pan, and gasket anyway.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Posted in reply to RENO88's post starting "Ok Redneck, I'll try the teflon first,..."
89yimmiJ

Remember that Teflon is a lubricant, not a sealant. The purpose of putting teflon on Pipe Threads(NPT) is so that you can tighten them more allowing the threads to seal. Since a Drain Plug is not pipe thread, and you are using the teflon as a sealant, it will only be a short term fix. (ie. to get you home, off a trail, etc.)
A simple, long term fix is to drill it oversize and weld a nut on the outside of the pan and use a new drainplug.
Personally, i'd spend a couple hours, pull the pan and fix it right, and not have to worry about whether or not it will leak and ruin my motor.
89yimmiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Posted in reply to 89yimmiJ's post starting "Remember that Teflon is a lubricant,..."
RENO88

Yeah, 50 or so dollars will save me a few thousand.