K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Tool Shed

Remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

Building an electric start for a pull-start gas engine

Yeah, I know, I'm nuts... but we knew this.

And I donno that this belongs in the tool shed, but the Lounge is so full of Fumes and his wawas that I'm scurred.

Soo ... if I am tired of pull-starting my gas engine, how to go about making an electric start? I have a 12V battery as part of the project, so a tiiiny little starter, like maybe for a Japanese 4cyl motor? Or maybe an electromagnetic clutch, like on an air conditioning compressor, and a smallish electric motor?

On generators and such that have electric start, is the starter an integral part of the engine, or is it a separate unit I could scrounge and use?

-- A
1974 Half cab K5: Urban Smurf camo. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag, behind the wheel ) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Backup camera (passenger) * Navigation (AAA maps)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Well, got bored and took the recoil start mechanism off. There's already a clutch mechanism on there, so that it drives the motor when you yank it but then disconnects once the motor kicks in. The only weird thing is that it's an almost-square drive. The recoil starter fits on it with an eight-point sort of socket.

Conveniently, however, a 12-point 7/8" socket seems to fit, and my trusty Dewalt cordless drill starts the thing up nicely in high gear... so now I just gotta find an el-cheapo cordless drill that'll do ~1200-1400RPM. All the Harbor Freight-type cheapos seem to only do the low-gear ~500RPM. ::sigh:: Such is the life of a nerd =))

-- A
1974 Half cab K5: Urban Smurf camo. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors (soft top) * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Airbag (okay, windbag, behind the wheel ) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Backup camera (passenger) * Navigation (AAA maps)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Well, got bored and took the recoil..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
Why not contiue using the DeWalt? Or are you looking to create a redneck cordless starter from something cheap?

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "Why not contiue using the DeWalt? Or..."
Drey
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Older Kohlers had a electric start system, might try looking at them.
03 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax(DD/Towrig)
03 Honda 450S Foreman(Only thing I wheel )
A whole mess of RC Cars too...
Drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "Why not contiue using the DeWalt? Or..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRustyK5 View Post
Why not contiue using the DeWalt? Or are you looking to create a redneck cordless starter from something cheap?

Rene
Largely the latter -- the intent being to build something onto the engine that is semi-permanent. (The engine in question runs a York as a gas-powered air compressor, and I'm starting to hate the recoil starter and like the idea of pushing a button. Yes, I *could* get the carb rebuilt so it starts easier, or I *could* even get a "real" electric-start engine, but this is more fun. Or, as you say, redneck.)

-- A

Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Largely the latter -- the intent being..."
DEMON44
Supporting Member
Low-Tech Redneck

i Trader: (3 )

At my old shop we used 2 Honda motors that were electric key start and pull start. one was 9hp the other newer one was 11hp. They were coupled to small hydraulic pumps as portable hydraulic power units. So you're not way off base, they exist. The 9hp was pretty old too. uses a little tiny 12v starter motor, nothing fancy, very straight forward

Luke
CK5 Teck Junkie
---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB DRW Ppump 24v G56
'94 Dodge 2500 RCLB 2wd 12v 47rh Daily wagon
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 LS3 T56 71mm K31 still Brewing
DEMON44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Posted in reply to DEMON44's post starting "At my old shop we used 2 Honda motors..."
3 on the tree

i Trader: (0 )

The larger Tecumseh engines have elec starter held to the side of the engine with 2 small screws. They are 110V. Push button mounts on top.

Put a pulley on the elec starter, and an AC clutch pulley on the engine, with a voltage reducer. Connect with a V belt. When you hit the pushbutton, it energizes the clutch, and the starter spins the motor. When you let off the button, the clutch disengages.
3 on the tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Hmmm. I happen to have a spare York clutch and pulley sitting there, too. If my cordless drill idea doesn't pan out, I'll scrounge a little Japanese starter motor and go this route

-- A

Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Fordum
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

What make and model of engine? There are about 3 ways to go. The best, is to use a factory starter. Look at the flywheel while you have the cover off, and see if there is a set of teeth along the edge. I put a 12 volt electric start on my trash pump Briggs. They made that motor with electric start, but used the manual version on the pump. I just ordered the starter and bolted it on. Later I looked at the shop manual and realized that the electric start version had a coil under the flywheel and a little regulator. Ordered them, and had a charger that would keep the battery charged.
Or, there are companies that sell a kit that let you use an electric drill to start it. I have used them but never installed one. A friend had one on his lawnmower. Somehow you drilled a hole in the center of the cover if I remember right, and there was a socket that was in the hole. You put a drive shaft in the drill, put it in the socket and cranked away. The nice part was, the pull start stayed on. I found a picture of one, it jogs my memory and I think this was how it worked.
Problem is, its not available from here.
http://www.amazon.com/System-Lawn-Bo.../dp/B0002H33YG
Its called Spin Start. If you can't find one, maybe this will give you enough info to build one.
The third way, is what I use when I am troubleshooting a Briggs engine that won't start. I found a socket that will fit over that almost square shaft. 12 point one I believe. Then just take the cover off and use an extension that I cut the female part off so it would chuck up in my 1/2 drill. I also ground some flats on it, since the chrome did not want to let the chuck get a bite.

j
Fordum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Posted in reply to Fordum's post starting "What make and model of engine? There..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordum View Post
What make and model of engine? There are about 3 ways to go. The best, is to use a factory starter. Look at the flywheel while you have the cover off, and see if there is a set of teeth along the edge. I put a 12 volt electric start on my trash pump Briggs. They made that motor with electric start, but used the manual version on the pump. I just ordered the starter and bolted it on. Later I looked at the shop manual and realized that the electric start version had a coil under the flywheel and a little regulator. Ordered them, and had a charger that would keep the battery charged.
Or, there are companies that sell a kit that let you use an electric drill to start it. I have used them but never installed one. A friend had one on his lawnmower. Somehow you drilled a hole in the center of the cover if I remember right, and there was a socket that was in the hole. You put a drive shaft in the drill, put it in the socket and cranked away. The nice part was, the pull start stayed on. I found a picture of one, it jogs my memory and I think this was how it worked.
Problem is, its not available from here.
http://www.amazon.com/System-Lawn-Bo.../dp/B0002H33YG
Its called Spin Start. If you can't find one, maybe this will give you enough info to build one.
The third way, is what I use when I am troubleshooting a Briggs engine that won't start. I found a socket that will fit over that almost square shaft. 12 point one I believe. Then just take the cover off and use an extension that I cut the female part off so it would chuck up in my 1/2 drill. I also ground some flats on it, since the chrome did not want to let the chuck get a bite.

j

Holy dead thread reanimation, Batman!

Yep, a 12-pt socket does indeed fit onto the shaft, 7/8" IIRC, and I remember what you mean about almost-square.

And this particular flywheel wasn't toothed, so I didn't have any option there.

I messed with cordless drills, but eventually got an electric starter and have it rigged with a pulley for torquer multiplication. (I'd call it "gear reduction", but there's no gears ... just a small pulley on the starter and a larger diameter one on the crankshaft.) I got it all wired up and it works pretty well, the little Honda alternator charges the auxiliary battery easily enough, and the motor can run both it and the York *just barely* at WFO ... and then other projects came along and I haven't gotten around to finishing plumbing the York, etc. So many projects, so little time =))

All good info, though, and thanks!

-- A