K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
dadof5

i Trader: (0 )

85 k5 blazer break/steering problems HELP

Ive got an 85 k5 with a 6.2l diesel that we are restoring/fixing up for my boys and now there is a serious break/steering issue. When you break it hard the pedel goes to a certain point then will bleed all the way to the floor without applying more pressure to the breaks and of course the steering goes away since its a connected system. I have replaced the steering pump, steering gear, master cylinder, and hydro boost, now Im lost.

This really bites since its what is keeps it off the road and we've worked tail off on it. Has a custom cut wetlands 3m graphics pattern over white body, custom alluminum roof rack with ladder way up the side, hand made front and rear 10 guage 2x6 steel bumpers that wrap the body and attach to frame(pitty the person that hits this thing), interior was gutted and replaced with a black leather set from a 2004 rt durango with complete seating for 7, flip down lcd screen and built in gps not to mention all leather dashand side pannels, alpine sopund system with memphis and boston speakers drivin by two memphis amps. Bullet proof 6.2l diesel with700r4 trany built the right way running rancho suspension all the way around. I really want this fixed it will be an awsome 1st car for my boys.
Thanks Dadof5
dadof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Leper
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

DO you get any foam in the resivoir?
Leper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Posted in reply to Leper's post starting "DO you get any foam in the resivoir?"
dadof5

air in system

negative, this thing has been bled so much it needs a red cross sticker
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Posted in reply to dadof5's post "air in system"
Mudstud

Check the wheel cylinders for wetness? Look at every inch of the plumbing front to back for wetness? Certain the brakelines are on the calipers good with good brass washers?

I had a simular prob not long ago. Brakes were great but every once in awhile when I would cycle the suspension the peddle would go to the floor. Have to pump it twice to get it back. Turned out to be a leaking calliper/brake line connection.
Mudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Posted in reply to Mudstud's post starting "Check the wheel cylinders for wetness?..."
dadof5

thanks, Ill put it up on some blocks and give the once over really good
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Posted in reply to dadof5's post starting "thanks, Ill put it up on some blocks..."
dadof5

fixed thank God

just a note gents this link was sent to me and all I have to say is AWSOME,AWSOME,AWSOME thanks for the help and kudos to this company for thier post http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html fixed my problem totaly with better prefomance than Ive ever had all for .09 cents of washer
Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Posted in reply to dadof5's post "fixed thank God"
UPS

i Trader: (1 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
just a note gents this link was sent to me and all I have to say is AWSOME,AWSOME,AWSOME thanks for the help and kudos to this company for thier post http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html fixed my problem totaly with better prefomance than Ive ever had all for .09 cents of washer
How much of that mod did you do? Which steps?

Thanks,
Mike
UPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Posted in reply to UPS's post starting "How much of that mod did you do? Which..."
Mudstud

How did a power steering pump mod fix your brakes?
Mudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Posted in reply to Mudstud's post starting "How did a power steering pump mod fix..."
UPS

i Trader: (1 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstud View Post
How did a power steering pump mod fix your brakes?
He has hydro boost brakes. Apparently the pump wasn't giving enough boost.

Mike
UPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Posted in reply to UPS's post starting "He has hydro boost brakes. Apparently..."
dadof5

pump modification

the pump mod was to simple, yes you have to do both parts for it to work I used a #4 washer but ground it slightly to reduce its thickness. I also have a Diesel so the steering pump supplies pressure to the hydrobost system for the breaks as well as steering gear. With oversize tires and steering stabilizer the standard reman just didnt have the punch required for the load now, steady as a rock. Ive got another chevy diesel Im going ahead and doing the same thing even tho there isnt an issue yet. Even under a load the gear is effortless with no whine.