K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Miscellaneous Discussion > Tow & Trailer

Remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
metapoint

i Trader: (1 )

Registering a Military Trailer? How Do???

Just picked up a great deal on an M105 trailer, rewired, converted to an eight lug trailer axle, and rhino-lined. No title, anyone had any experience in getting on registered? How do you do it?
metapoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
88sub4x4

i Trader: (3 )

Every state is different on their registering laws. Check with your motor vehicle dept. about how to register a homemade trailer. It may be the easiest route to go.
88sub4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Posted in reply to 88sub4x4's post starting "Every state is different on their..."
metapoint

i Trader: (1 )

Went to the DMV today told them I wanted to register this trailer I built from scrap parts. They asked what I thought it was worth ($500 he he) then measured it off and sent me inside with paperwork. After a long wait walked out with a title, registration, new vin tag, and a permanent plate. Total was $137. Now I'm legit.

FYI if you say your assembled trailer is worth more than $1000 you have to show receipts for atleast half of the value.
metapoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Posted in reply to metapoint's post starting "Went to the DMV today told them I..."
ramjet gmc
CK5 Staff

GM of the month Winner
in nj i reg as home made the lady said if i clame i spent $100 on parts then paid sales tax no that $7 bucks it would be easy to do and i did
2002 Ford Excursion X 7.3 PSD towrig
http://community.webshots.com/user/ramjetgmc
RamJetGMC@AOL.com
ramjet gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Posted in reply to ramjet gmc's post starting "in nj i reg as home made the lady said..."
kennyw
Supporting Member
N9PHW

i Trader: (62 )

WA state requires a State Patrol inspection on all homebuilt trailers... If you can't prove ownership (not enough reciepts or no vin # present from the truck used to make the pickup box trailer) you get a 3 year registration only period and can apply for title at the end of 3 years.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Posted in reply to metapoint's post starting "Went to the DMV today told them I..."
Jason4x4

i Trader: (9 )

You got lucky, I went through that a couple months ago, and they made me go down and get a level 2 inspection at the DMV inspection place, it was a PITA.
Jason4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Posted in reply to Jason4x4's post starting "You got lucky, I went through that a..."
pseudomike

i Trader: (10 )

In MA there is no inspection on trailers. I have one plate registered to a homemade black trailer..I have 3 trailers..all black if you follow my logic. I pay ~$50/yr for registration based on weight. I originally had to drive to the state revenue office and pay $25 "road tax" for constructing a trailer out of $500 worth of parts.

When I lived in CT I tried the same deal but they gave me a temp plate for the trailer, I had to drive 65miles to a "State inspection office", they looked at the trailer, assessed it's value, and issued a VIN plate and title. THat method sucked.

Depends on where you live in a nutshell.
pseudomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Posted in reply to pseudomike's post starting "In MA there is no inspection on..."
chrisb420

In New York you have to get the trailer weighed and if more than 1000 pounds it must be inspected before they will register a homemade trailer. If under 1000 pounds there is no inspection but you do not get a title, you get a transferrable registration that is used instead of a title and you have to create the vin plate yourself with a number they give you .
chrisb420 is offline   Reply With Quote