K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
ThinkinBoutOne

i Trader: (0 )

K5 Blazer vs. Big Bronco

Okay, this may not be the most objective forum for this question, but here goes...

First of all, I'm a lifelong Bronco guy...I've had 78 and 80 Big Broncos, a 76 Early Bronco and a 90 Bronco II (yeah, I know...Ha!). I currently own the 76 and 78, but due to a recent change in my marital status and the loss of the backup car, I'm in need of a more reliable daily driver. Yes, I could keep one of the Broncos for play and get a rice burner to drive to work, but I want 1 truck to do it all...daily driver, light to moderate 'wheeling, with the potential to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling in the future.

The comparison I'm currently making is between the 89-91 K5 Blazer and a late-model (say 92-96) Bronco. The main reason the Blazer tempts the hell out of me is the combo of factory TBI and a solid front axle. You've got to go back to 79 to get a solid-axle Bronco, and anything with EFI is going to have a TTB front axle. I also know Chevy's are famous for being easy to upgrade with the interchangeability of parts (axles, engines, etc.) between a wide range of model years and platforms. Either one will require swapping to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling, but it seems the Blazer would be easier and cheaper in this regard.

Sooo...thoughts? I fully expect some flaming/ribbing due to my Ford-Blue blood, but some (somewhat) objective opinions would be good, too

BTW...great website!

ThinkinBoutOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:42 AM
Posted in reply to ThinkinBoutOne's post "K5 Blazer vs. Big Bronco"
FRIZZLEFRY

Re: K5 Blazer vs. Big Bronco

I say EFI one of your Broncos.You could do that for less than the cost of another vehicle.Its not that hard or expensive.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>
FRIZZLEFRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Either keep the '76 or get a K5. I am partial to the 1st gen Bronco's, as far as a Furd is concerned.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!
Old 10-25-2001, 11:53 AM
Hossbaby50

i Trader: (3 )

I personally love my Jimmy. My Dad has 3 F*rds at home, but I love my GM. The only F*rds I like are 70's pickups, 66-77 Bronco's, and the 90's+ dual cabs. Chevy's are the cheapest things to work on in this world except for VW's. My Jimmy has never left me anyplace. It always gets me home. Parts interchangablitiy, the ease of finding parts, and the lower prices of parts are the big advantages to Chevy. Personally I think you would be better off with a TBI straight axle Chev over an older Ford. My best buddy has a 76 F-250 and has nothing but problems with it. I think the Chevy would be more reliable as a daily driver, offroading rig.

Here's a little personal experience. One morning (before I could drive) my Dad was taking me to school. He went to start his 97 F-150. Nothing. It was dead. He went to his 90 F-150, nothing, dead too. Then he went over to the 85 Jimmy. It fired right up and we were on our way.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.
Hossbaby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 12:11 PM
arq

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

... The main reason the Blazer tempts the hell out of me is the combo of factory TBI and a solid front axle. ... I also know Chevy's are famous for being easy to upgrade with the interchangeability of parts (axles, engines, etc.) between a wide range of model years and platforms. Either one will require swapping to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling, but it seems the Blazer would be easier and cheaper in this regard. ...

<hr></blockquote>

I also like the old Furds, especially the old broncos, but you pretty much sumed it up all by yourself.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
72 4x4 CST Blazer
71 4x4 CST Blazer
<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>
arq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 12:20 PM
Boss

Article Contributor

my buddy has a 79' Bronc and he works on it non stop when he is home (he is a college dude). But it is one helluva truck. Very beastly. I love that thing. I like the first Gen Broncos too. You can make any truck reliable if you want to.

Anyhow, being a K5 fan, I'd say, 89' to 91' are the bomb. I think 89' would be best b/c no anti-lock brakes.....but that's just me
Mine is a daily driver as well. Click on the link to look at the pics if you like.
Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>
Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 12:33 PM
Grim-Reaper

Article Contributor

Any Bronco before 80 I have respect for. Well set up vehicles out of the box. Problem is parts are high $. Available but you will pay (I have owned Ford products and parts are usualy twice as expensive).
Get the newest K5 you can find if your looking for FI. 87's were a little troublesome by 90 everything was right. The Tranny's in early 80's had problems but late 80's they had it right. Expect to replace the rear 10 bolt. They will give it up. Seems a lot of people are having trouble at the 10 year mark on the fuel pumps also so when you look try to find out when/if the pump was replaced.
The split axle in the Ferds stink and all the extra parts = breakage. Also takes a lot to get them to flex and still can't achive the front travel you can get out of a K5 soilid axle truck no matter how much money you throw at it. The hot set up for the K5's is EZ ride front springs, Shackle flip in the rear and relocate the front shocks. that's good for 900's on a 25deg ramp. About $500 not including shocks. $1500 to get the front lifted on a after 79 Bronco.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
75 Jimmy, Dollar
Grim-Reaper
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 12:46 PM   #8
zakk

if it ain't Chevy tuff...it just ain't enuff!
So i say go to the K5...my brother's bronco doesn't do sh%t off road. *tires to act shocked*

-Zakk
'77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!!
zakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:22 PM
Pugsley

Between a later K5 and later Bronco, the Blazer wins hands down - Better motors out of the box, and a better tranny. I'm a big fan of TTB, so I look at it as an advantage to the Bronco. But all in all, the Blazer is slightly bigger, has a better powertrain, and really just looks better - the 92-96 Ford design just didn't look right on Broncos. The 8.8 is really a better rear than the 10 bolt, but still takes alot of tender love and money to get it up to task. 92-96 also had two other areas of concern - the E4OD trannies had computer problems well into 95, the 302's exhaust manifolds cracked if you looked at them wrong, and the seats, except in Lightnings blew dog. 92-96 Broncos also had that big accordion looking crush zone on the front frame horns that would flatten if you kicked the bumper hard enough.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
<a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>
Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:27 PM
Rebel88

you could do what my auto tech teacher in high school did and take the old straight axle bronco(in his case a 78) and throw a fuel injected chevy motor in it...sounds like you would get the best of both worlds...he also painted it john deere green and but bowtie emblems on it but you dont have to go that far...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?
Rebel88 is offline   Reply With Quote