K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Stickles911

i Trader: (0 )

Question '99 Tahoe Solid axle swap?

I have a '99 chevy tahoe with a 6" lift and 35" tires.. I love the truck, and it seems fairly capable, but i'm not used to (or a big fan of) the independent front suspension. Compared to my '89 K5 it seems frail. Although it hasn't given me any trouble so far, I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the IFS with a solid axle. I have acccess to a shop with all the the necessary equipment, but I would like to know more about it before i get too serious. So, if anyone could help me out with things like, "pro's and con's", difficulty of swapping it, and how much of a difference it would really be. Also, what should the donor vehicle be and will a solid axle work with my current transfer case?? etc.. Thanks for any help you can give me!
-bryan
Stickles911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Posted in reply to Stickles911's post "'99 Tahoe Solid axle swap?"
shaun89

i Trader: (1 )

my friend did a SAS on his 99 burb. it used to have a 6" lift and 35s, now it has 12" of lift and 38 boggers but the hardest part was to MEASURE, MEASURE and MEASURE. and a couple companies make kits. its just a lot of measuring,we thought we were perfect about 3 times over until everything matched up perfect the 4th time measuring at different points. and for a front axle the best u can get is a D60 from a '79 ford. it is driver side drop like u need for the transfer case. just be sure to do a lot of research online and ask questions to get the right answers before u do it. but its definitely a cool mod to do. check on www.kissmydiff.com its a site for my friends and I. the build thread is in the forum.
shaun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Posted in reply to shaun89's post starting "my friend did a SAS on his 99 burb. it..."
blowedupmotor87
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

This is one of the best looking Tahoe SAS I have seen:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661346