K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > IFS and new sheet metal rigs

Remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
fubar_k5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

99 chevy silverado starting problem

I have a 99 silverado with a 5.3 lt. ive been having problems starting it lately ive checked fuel pressure at the rail thats good replaced the fuel pressure regulater i think the problem aint fuel related.
when I go to start it the first try i can just crank and crank on it and it wont even fire like its got no spark at all. Then I stop then try it again and it will do the exact same thing. Most of the time its the third try then it fires right up with out a problem.
Ive hooked a computer and doesnt read nothing thats wrong with it. Ive lived with this problem for quite a while and lately its starting annoy me a little bit. Any help or things i can check would help out alot. Oh and the truck is completely stock if that helps. thanks
fubar_k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Babaganoosh
Supporting Member

i Trader: (4 )

Fuel pump maybe? If you turn the key to on and leave it for a bit and turn it over will it start up like it should?
Babaganoosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
fubar_k5
Supporting Member

ive tryed that but with same result its still like the second or third try then it will start right up. the thing i dont get if it was the fuel pump you would think after cranking on it for while it would atleast fire or something it just keeps turning over with no fire at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Posted in reply to fubar_k5's post starting "ive tryed that but with same result its..."
noJeepshere
Supporting Member
I Drive Trains!

Pop the hood, find the underhood fusebox, have a buddy turn it on, (don't turn over though) you should hear a click from a relay in that box. If so, the fuel pump relay is good.

Next get under the truck by the fuel tank, and do the same thing. You may have to listen closely, but you should hear the pump run for a few seconds. If so, your pump is good.

Then, look at the dash when you turn the key on, and look for the SECURITY light. It should go out after a few seconds. If not, it may be your starter. If the light stays on, the starter solenoid is going bad and not making an electrical contact making the computer think you have a bad key (non-transponder)

Sometimes you may have to wait several minutes for the light to go out, and when it does, all will work fine. I bet it stutters for a second on the first try, then nothing. Pull the starter and have it bench-tested.

Since your truck is ten years old, The pump may be going bad. To test that, take a 2"x4" and hit the tank (not hard) before the first crank, but after you turn the key on. If it starts up right away, the fuel pump motor has a flat spot and will need to be replaced.

I had to replace both on my Yukon with 6 months of each other.

Hope that helps.
You obviously missed your calling Riley, I now dub thee, prognosticator of doom.
Find your convictions and stick with them, for it is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you aren't
Used to own a K5
1999 GMC Yukon
350, 4l60e,NP 241, IFS, 10-bolt with gov-lok,3.73's, no lift,32's, Police Interceptor wheels
noJeepshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Posted in reply to noJeepshere's post starting "Pop the hood, find the underhood..."
fubar_k5
Supporting Member

thanks that gives me some stuff to check ill check it out today and ill get back to you let you guys know the results. thanks again
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Posted in reply to fubar_k5's post starting "thanks that gives me some stuff to..."
fubar_k5
Supporting Member

i checked the security light thats good tryed checking the relay i think i heard it lol couldnt tell though ill wait till i get a buddy over and help me check that and the pump.