K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
ducttape114

i Trader: (0 )

CSR replacement flex plate

i broke another factory replacement flex plate. decided its time to up grade. ordered my csr plate, got it went to swap and found the old one has a big ol' weight on one side. the new one does not. did gm balence the motor with the flex plate in place? now what are my options? do i have to have my motor re balenced every time i replace a flex plate?

time is of the essence, i was hoping to wheel this evening. thanks in advance

6.5l diesel, th400, ORD doubler
ducttape114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Posted in reply to ducttape114's post "CSR replacement flex plate"
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
What engine is it for? If it's for the 6.5 diesel then I have no idea but if it is for a SBC gasser then you will also find that the bolt pattern for bolting it to the crank is different also.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Posted in reply to 4X4HIGH's post starting "What engine is it for? If it's for the..."
NorCal_Chris
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Some are external balance and some are internal... Internal have no weights on flexplate, external they do.

Not sure if you have to have it rebalanced. I think it might just be a generic weight that is used on it, and you just need to make sure it is in the same spot as the one before. But not 100% on that.
NorCal_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Posted in reply to ducttape114's post "CSR replacement flex plate"
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
Let me clarify. ALL SBC's with the exception of the SBC 400 are internally balanced from 1955-1985. Starting in 1986 when GM went to the one piece rear main seal engine they also started externally balancing only the REAR of the engines. The crank bolt circle on SBC's from 1955-1985 was 3.58" and from 1986-later the crank bolt circle was changed to 3.00" to accomodate the one piece rear main seal.

As long as the engine is a later model (1986-later) you just need the correct flexplate with the external weight and nothing more. If the engine happens to be a stroker then it MUST be rebalanced which will require that the whole engines comes apart and the rotating assembly must be sent to the machine shop.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Posted in reply to 4X4HIGH's post starting "Let me clarify. ALL SBC's with the..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner
This: 6.5l diesel, th400, ORD doubler

isn't his signature.

Matt has the 6.5 TD, and I haven't heard hide nor hair of him since wheeling with him at BB '03. I still owe him a quart of oil...

no idea on the flex plate though, my 6.2 was manual and I never really looked for weights or anything when I had it apart.

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock
Never ending project: 1990 K5, 5.3/4L60e swap in progress

Daily driver: 2013 Suburban 1500 4x4. Stock as can be for now.
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "This: 6.5l diesel, th400, ORD doubler ..."
ducttape114

dont worry about the oil Rene, we're cool the end of the story is when i was about to give up and go to sleep blazinaire showed up and told me to quite wasting time and make it work. so we drilled the welds out of the stock plate, and welded it onto the new one in the exact same spot. nothing like taking a welder to brand new expensive parts. got the whole drive train put in last night. need to re fill fluids and fire her up. and clean up the mess in the garage.

i am still non turbo. if you know anybody with a factory turbo set up they dont want i may be interested
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Posted in reply to ducttape114's post starting "dont worry about the oil Rene, we're..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

That's one way to take care of the problem!

How is Jay doing? We had a blast wheeling with you guys in '03...and then it seems like you guys vanished. I still remember sitting there at Double Whammy after FWP tried several times to make it, and then you basically drove right up it like it was a paved driveway. I was completely amazed at how much of a difference a little more wheelbase can make on an obstacle.

I have a complete ATS set-up here, but the turbo itself needs to be rebuilt...at least I got it somewhat cheap.

Rene
Sooooo....................Ima going to fix the rust and get it on the road with a 454 but its stock and just kind of make it nice mild you know with lockers front and rear kind of an every day wheeler daily drive that will soon be completely bonkers ya know mostly stock

Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post starting "That's one way to take care of the..."
ducttape114

got everything put together by sat night. short test drive around town with no problam. took my wife to the dunes this morning. she has never been in a capable truck before and she had a blast. drive train is working great. but i had my first experiance with death wobble on the way home. dont know what that is about. now i have a whole list of small projects that i forgot about. it never seems to end.

jay and i have been moving around alot. i went about 4 or 5 years with out a computer, hence my vanishing act. then i got a computer and had a baby so the truck got pushed even further down the priority list. Noah is 19 months old now and a little more self sufficent. i strap him in the drivers seat and let him push buttons while i work on the truck.

wheel base is good till you have to break over a nasty ledge. its all a give and take i suppose.

whats the story with your turbo set up? how hard of an install is that? i want more power but i just got the damn thing driving again i dont really want to shut her down again.

i think i am getting old. when i was 20 and ripped out all the glass and carpet i didnt care about comfort, i just wanted to be light!!!! driving around last night i was thinking "GD its cold in this thing!!!" i think i am going to ballence the tires, patch the holes in the floor and firewall, and maybe even get some kind of heater. i wear ear plugs when i drive now. i might put a sheet of plexi in the back window/hole. now were did i put my bi-focals? oops i spilled my ensure, i have to go, its bingo night...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Posted in reply to ducttape114's post starting "got everything put together by sat..."
tRustyK5
Big meanie

I haven't installed the turbo stuff. I bought it for my Black K5, but that ended up getting parted out...so now the turbo stuff sits on a shelf in my storage room for now. Thought of bolting it up to my '83 C10 with the 6.2...but that's gonna be my daughter's truck soon. The more gutless it is (at least at first) the better.

Install doesn't look hard, one exhaust manifold gets swapped, need to tap somewhere for an oil cooler return line, the rest is pretty straightforward. The hardest part will be the crossover pipe. I could probably knock it out on a saturday. Need to either find another turbo that'll work, or get this one rebuilt first.

I hear ya on creature comforts. I am mildly building a '90 K5 now...it will be sane, civilized, comfortable, AC, and straight. It's TBI though.

Say hi to Jay when you see him next.

Rene