K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
rroeder96

i Trader: (0 )

1985 k10 fuel problems

im having problems with my fuel gauge it never moves i just bought the truck and i was having problem with fuel gauge so i bought a new one and when it gets hooked up it goes straight to over full i do know that the truck has a aftermarket fuel pump and it works good but i would like to know how much fuel is in the truck if anyone knows please help..
rroeder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Posted in reply to rroeder96's post "1985 k10 fuel problems"
bradshawtech
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

i would like to know how much fuel is in the truck if anyone knows please help..

I am going to say is about half full..... Ha

There is any number of things it could be. You say that you put in a new guage but does that mean the guage in the dash or the sender in the tank?

Give us some more details to work with here so we can head you in the right direction.

Dual or single tank?

Last edited by bradshawtech; 08-05-2010 at 09:20 PM.
bradshawtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Posted in reply to bradshawtech's post starting "i would like to know how much fuel is..."
rroeder96

the truck is a 1985 chevy k10 dual tanks i tryed useing the tank switch to see if either side was working or not but it didnt help either when i took the tank switch out i hooked it to the new gauge and all it did was go to over full mark on it so it was a bust to im left with wondering now if the sending unit is bad or is the ground bad i just bought this truck and i think only one side tank is working thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Posted in reply to rroeder96's post starting "the truck is a 1985 chevy k10 dual..."
bradshawtech
Supporting Member

Dude, you are not making sense.

What tank switch did you take out, the one in the center of the dash or the valve mounted under the truck between the fuel tanks?

The reason I am confused is I don't see how you hooked up a "guage" to either of those as a test.

The system uses a solenoid operated valve to physically switch flow from either tank, this valve is operated by the selector switch mounted to the center of the dash.

The in tank level sensor signal from each tank is fed through a multiwire plug that is plugged into the solenoid valve. From there the signal is sent to the guage in the dash.

There is a ground wire for each tank running from the top of the tank to the frame.
The guage is fed a variable resistance signal sent from the tank level float. If I recall correctly it is a 0-90 ohm resistor. this moves the needle on the guage in the dash accordingly.

There are many places to check for a broken wire or a bad connection along each of these items. I would first turn the key to the on position but not start the truck and operate the switch on the dash to see if you can hear any sound from the solenoid operating down on the passenger side inside of the frame rails.

If it does operate or you hear a clicking then the valve is probably working and since you aren't getting a reading or a change in the dash guage then I would look at the wiring between the valve and the guage.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Posted in reply to bradshawtech's post starting "Dude, you are not making sense. ..."
bot0611

i Trader: (1 )

Ahh the dual fuel tank gauge problem..

I have that problem on the RH tank, and it could be the floater, a bad ground on the floater.

go to 67-72chevytrucks.com and do a search theres tons of info for this
bot0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Posted in reply to bradshawtech's post starting "Dude, you are not making sense. ..."
rroeder96

yeah i took out the switch in the dash and hooked up a new fuel gauge to the wiring that it went to it has a series of four wires green/green and black and pink/pink and black. the pink and black go to the stock fuel gauge when the aftermarket gauge is hooked up to them it reads over full i found out that the green ones come from the fuel sending unit in the tanks i know its confusing but i just bought this truck and i still dont know much about it, its my first truck like this or 4wd for that matter so i would like to fix it and have fun with it thanks for your help
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Posted in reply to rroeder96's post starting "yeah i took out the switch in the dash..."
bradshawtech
Supporting Member

I'll try but a quick request of mine is please use punctuation in your text. Without punctuation it adds to the confusion. I struggle with spelling at times so no judging here on my part.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
rroeder96

Ok thats about the best I can put it. I don't know much about this model. Like I said this my first 4x4 and I would like to enjoy off roading with it. I think what I will do is just drop both tanks and start from scratch and hope for the best and, rewire the whole thing and see how that works. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Posted in reply to rroeder96's post starting "Ok thats about the best I can put it. I..."
K85 Octane
Supporting Member
Tacklin fuel

i Trader: (9 )

GM of the month Winner
dummy adding something*

the gauge is the right resistance correct? I know some are different, I think only the late model trucks have the higher resistance, which might not affect a gauge like this. dunno, but if both tanks read over full, might be the gauge no? Or a crapload of other things yes. haha

*1985 K5 Silverado "Bender"
*1968 C10 "New Tricks"
*2001 S10 ZQ8 4.3 DD
*2004 TRX450R

K5 Build Thread
C10 Build Thread
K85 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote