K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
lasvegas

i Trader: (0 )

alternator \"exciter\" wire

Anyone know on '78, which wire is the "exciter" wire to the alternator? Is is one of the two wires on the two wire plug or is it that third wire that is seperate. I just put in a complete wrangler system with dual optima and a wrangler alt but it is not charging and I am thinking that perhaps that particular wire is not doing its job. I just do not know which one that is.

lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:42 PM
Posted in reply to lasvegas's post "alternator \"exciter\" wire"
95 Silverado

Re: alternator \"exciter\" wire

on a stock type delco alternator the exciter wire is one of the pair in the two wire plug. The single larger wire is the output terminal, which is connected to the battery/electrical system. on the two wire plug one wire will have voltage all the time, this is the "sample" wire where the regulator reads the system voltage to adjust the output, the second wire should only have voltage when the key is on, it is the exciter wire. on many vehicles this is tied to the alternator indicatoir light in the dash. many aftermarket hi-output alternators are one -wire alternators, they use a special regulator that does not require the two wire plug, just hook up the output wire and you're done.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>
95 Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:56 PM   #3
lasvegas

Okay, I tested the two wires, and one had no power. I would guess that is my dead exciter wire. Is there a fusible link or fuse on this wire? Any ideas as to what to check or replace? Thanks

Old 01-01-2002, 09:26 AM   #4
95 Silverado

that power usually comes through the instrument panel, if your truck has idiot lights in the dash, if the alt. light bulb goes bad it will open that circuit. also check the gauges fuse. are the other gauges all working?

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>
95 Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
lasvegas

Silverado, thanks for your help. I found the problem this morning. The terminal into the plug appeared to be okay but did not have continuity. I checked everything you said but it was all fine. So I started checking the continuity through the wires and I found that nothing would go through the terminal on the exciter side. I just pulled it out and soldered a new one on and slipped it back in the hole on the plug and it works. Thanks again.