K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
chrisquested

i Trader: (0 )

36/12.50/16.5 military tires????

Ok i was offered a trade for my a/t tires...This guy is wanting to give me 4 36/12.50/r16.50 military tire for my 33/12.50/r15 bfg a/t tire. The military tires are mounted to 6 lug rims which will fit on my k5 blazer. I also got a guy who will sell these same tires and the 37 inch tires for $75-$100 each new or barley used.

My main question is will these tires be better than the a/t tires? will they work decent in the mud/creek bottoms? plus how will the wear compared to me bfg a/t? anyone who has pics/vids of using these tires or info on them would be great! thanks guys
chrisquested is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
big dan
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

I have them and dont like them. The only reason I run them is because they are what Ive got and am saving to buy what I want, only problem is there are other things that are more important so Im stuck running them for a while.

I will guess that your bfgs will last at least twice as long on the pavement maybe longer, I dont have experience with bfg a/ts but hear they last a while and I know that the hummer tires dont last very long on pavement.

Now the tread is more aggressive and that will help in the mud and rocks but in my opinion it sucks when compared to something like the bfg m/ts.

Another thing that you will have to worry about is the 16.5 wheels that they come on. No big deal if you dont lower your air pressure. I have the h1s recentered so I have bead locks but I like to run about 5 psi. these tires seem to work better the less air you have in them.

The best advantage Ive found to these tires is the 4 ply sidewall. If its not dry rotted like mine.

My opinion is to stick with the bfgs till you can afford what you want.
big dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Posted in reply to big dan's post starting "I have them and dont like them. The..."
NorCal_Chris

GM of the month Winner
the 36's are meh...

The 37's wear like iron and last plenty long on the pavement. But your axles and gear ratio isnt gonna like them over the 33's
NorCal_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Posted in reply to NorCal_Chris's post starting "the 36's are meh... The 37's wear..."
big dan
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

yeah I forgot to mention that I have the 36s. I would like to try the 37s cause they seem like they would work a little better for what I do but I would rather keep saving and get what I want.
big dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Posted in reply to big dan's post starting "yeah I forgot to mention that I have..."
sweetk30
Supporting Member
web wheelin for now

i Trader: (57 )

and your 33" tires are radial = smooth ride.

the 36" tires are bias ply = not as smooth a ride and even more when tires are cold.

the 37" tires are radial and better choice in my opinion if you had to pic a set out of 36" or 37"

2wd resto mod 5.3/4l60e powered : http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296680
stubby j.r. : http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309865
project stubby crew cab : http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245582
diy4x custom dash : http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284383
snap-on tool box : http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225524
. . .WHEN I WAN'T YOUR OPINION I WILL REMOVE THE DUCT TAPE ! ! !
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Posted in reply to sweetk30's post starting "and your 33" tires are radial = smooth..."
chrisquested

No i dont get to pick which size i want the guy just has the 36" tires mounted to 6 lug wheels and wants to trade me for my tires. There is a little more wheelin and dealing in of it also which i will explain below.

So he is going to give me those tires and rims, the racing bucket seats, a set of 5 point harness's , new glass window for driver side, install a 6 inch lift on the blazer.

I got to give him my a/t tires and $200 for everything i just said up top.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Stomis
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisquested View Post
No i dont get to pick which size i want the guy just has the 36" tires mounted to 6 lug wheels and wants to trade me for my tires. There is a little more wheelin and dealing in of it also which i will explain below.

So he is going to give me those tires and rims, the racing bucket seats, a set of 5 point harness's , new glass window for driver side, install a 6 inch lift on the blazer.

I got to give him my a/t tires and $200 for everything i just said up top.
Sounds like the guys desperate... You dont want 36in hummer tires they really suck. The 37s are decent but I will say that 16.5 6 lug wheels are quite hard to come by.

- Vinnie
Stomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Posted in reply to Stomis's post starting "Sounds like the guys desperate... You..."
chrisquested

Not desprate he is a friend of mine and he knew that i know a guy who sells the 36" and 37" for $75-$100. He knows i dont got alot of funds so he said that this will get my blazer lifted, bigger tires, and new seats and window.

He said these tires are perfect for what i like to do and if one messed up or wore down i could always buy a new 1 for $75.

By the way this k5 is not going to be an offroad machine. I am going to use it to play in the mud a little and drive around on creek beds ect...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
AJMBLAZER
Supporting Member

i Trader: (11 )

They will throw mud very well. Perform better than a lot of regular mud terrains with Swamper TSL like qualities. They've definitely got some tooth to them.

That said they're often about square. On the road they suck. Two of my work vehicles are older HMMWV's with the 36" bias plies (properly known as the Wrangler RT/II) and they're great due to all the mud we have here right now...but they shake and wobble down the road like a drunk in need of a fix. I had a set on my pickup for a while and I had death wobble bad with them. Took them off and viola, the death wobble vanished with the new tires.

The 37" Wrangler MT radials are better on the road, more generic MT like in the mud, but have thinner sidewalls. Definitely not as tough offroad as the bias plies.

Depends what you want them to do.
Originally Posted by desertrat67 View Post
booms and crunches sometimes solve problems.
Quote:
Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines!?
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army; 12 February 1918
Thread hijacker and rant maker.
AJMBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Posted in reply to AJMBLAZER's post starting "They will throw mud very well. Perform..."
chrisquested

I want to do very minor off roading just driving on the beach and in the mud....While driving on the creek bottom the other day i almost got stuck in the rocks because it was so loose and also while driving up a steep incline the tires just spun.