K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
K5-CJ5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

4th seat belt

I have a chance to get a great deal on a 75 chevy 3/4 4x4 with rear 14bff and front dana 60, new 38" tsl bias ply, and new motor/trans. I was wondering if anyone has added a 4th seat belt to a standard cab truck? I have 3 small kids which physically would fit with no trouble, and would like to add the 4th belt for trips to school etc.

70 Chevota (land cruiser) SBC 383 , th350, yota t case. stock axles, milemarker 9500 winch, 35" MTR's, new everything.

01 Tacoma 4x4....Stock

92 K1500 Suburban----Broke

74 CJ-5. 350, sm465. dana 20 tcase. currently with Dana 44 front and rear, 33" mtrs

64 CJ-5. Custom built frame (In progress) 350, or 4bt undecided but leaning towards 4bt.
K5-CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Posted in reply to K5-CJ5's post "4th seat belt"
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

*Assuming* it's like my '74 pickup, you'd have to do a little drilling or something.

The pickup is set up for three belts, with four bolts: o -- o -- o -- o if that makes sense (Gotta love the ASCII art! )

The Blazer, in contrast, has a rear bench that was set up for two belts with four bolts o -- o o -- o, so I just got a third belt and doubled up on the middle two bolts. Five minute setup.

In the case of the pickup, I think you'd hafta pop a hole in the floor centered between two of the existing bolts, then use some big honkin' fender washers and/or maybe a piece of plate underneath as reinforcement. This also assumes the floor isn't rusty.

-- A
1974 Half cab K5: Urban Smurf camo. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Backup camera (passenger) * Navigation (AAA maps) * Hybrid (parts from Chevy, Ford, etc)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "*Assuming* it's like my '74 pickup,..."
K5-CJ5
Supporting Member

i Trader: (1 )

Im not worried about drilling holes! The floor is perfect, I was thinking about running a place the full length of the cab for the seat belts to attach.

I was curious if anyone has done this, or if its even legal.

70 Chevota (land cruiser) SBC 383 , th350, yota t case. stock axles, milemarker 9500 winch, 35" MTR's, new everything.

01 Tacoma 4x4....Stock

92 K1500 Suburban----Broke

74 CJ-5. 350, sm465. dana 20 tcase. currently with Dana 44 front and rear, 33" mtrs

64 CJ-5. Custom built frame (In progress) 350, or 4bt undecided but leaning towards 4bt.
K5-CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Posted in reply to K5-CJ5's post starting "Im not worried about drilling holes! ..."
dremu
Supporting Member
Official Thread Derailer

i Trader: (7 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5-CJ5 View Post
Im not worried about drilling holes! The floor is perfect, I was thinking about running a place the full length of the cab for the seat belts to attach.

I was curious if anyone has done this, or if its even legal.
Oh lordie, don't start with the legality thing. In short, you're not gonna find a way for it to be absolutely certifiable (either pro- or con-) from the law short of crash-testing it I would just engineer it to withstand the 50-100# of your target kid at speed -- doesn't matter if it's legal or not as long as it saves them from being tossed from the truck in a collision.

Yeah, if you ran a thick piece of flat stock (or better yet, agle or channel) across the four bolts, you oughta be fine. Drill through for the existing bolts, then weld some nuts into the top or something, you wouldn't even have to drill into the floor.

-- A
1974 Half cab K5: Urban Smurf camo. All the modern conveniences: Antilock doors * Practically zero emissions (doesn't run mostly) * Heated seats (after burritos) * Dual-zone climate control (windows AND top open) * Crumple zones (my shed) * Backup camera (passenger) * Navigation (AAA maps) * Hybrid (parts from Chevy, Ford, etc)

Sales info, colors, options and more on my Brochures page

The redneck torque wrench: tighten until it breaks, then back off half a turn.
dremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Posted in reply to dremu's post starting "Oh lordie, don't start with the..."
70jimmy
Supporting Member

Location: Released from Pueblo and told I belong in Southpark.

i Trader: (2 )

GM of the month Winner
Look at California law and verify that you can have 4 people in the front of a pickup. In Colorado it's no more than 3.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Posted in reply to 70jimmy's post starting "Look at California law and verify that..."
blazinzuk
Supporting Member
Buzzbox voodoo

i Trader: (3 )

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70jimmy View Post
Look at California law and verify that you can have 4 people in the front of a pickup. In Colorado it's no more than 3.
Same in Idaho, only legal to have 3 in the front of a pickup
Eric W.
87 truggy "Horton"
89 Jimmy
86 crew cab currently building
blazinzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Posted in reply to blazinzuk's post starting "Same in Idaho, only legal to have 3 in..."
Avery4jc
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

GM of the month Winner
I think you'll get pulled over as soon as they see 4 in the front because they know there are only 3 belts from the factory. Some officers are dumb.... but not that dumb.

2005 Dodge 2500 CCSB Cummins

5" Lift/35" Toyo MT's/Straight Piped/S&B Intake/Superchip Tuner

Avery4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Posted in reply to Avery4jc's post starting "I think you'll get pulled over as soon..."
owenst7
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

I know this isn't relevant, but it is funny. In high school, my brother took a bench seat and bolted it in the bed of his std. cab pickup so that he could take more people to lunch with him. He got pulled over, but there were seat belts and it was bolted in there through a welded strip of angle stock. He got the cop to agree it was no different than a Blazer or a 4Runner with the top off, and he ended up letting him go with no ticket.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Posted in reply to owenst7's post starting "I know this isn't relevant, but it is..."
70jimmy
Supporting Member

Location: Released from Pueblo and told I belong in Southpark.

i Trader: (2 )

GM of the month Winner
We had a car seat mounted in the back of Dad's chevy Luv pickup, bolted thru the frame with seatbelts for going to the drive inn.