K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > The Injection Section

Remove these ads.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
PANCAKE
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

Bumping up the idle during winching questions

Hello,
I am thinking about wiring my winch so that the ECM (7477) will bump the idle up when the winch is on. I thought that someone told me to wire it to the A/C wire on the ECM? So the ECM will think the A/C is on and bump the idle up.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone done this mod?
2. Is it worth my time?
3. How do I do it?
I am also planning on hard wiring the winch controls to a switch on the dash instead of the remote that came with it.
Thanks for any input.
PANCAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
eagle mark
CK5 Staff

i Trader: (1 )

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Hook the wire from ecm that goes to ac compressor to wire that is active when winch is activated.

But this gets you just a little boost to keep idle steady. Now if you change parameters and burn a chip you can add 100-200 or so rpm as well to get engine idle up where alternator is charging better/enough to cover winch load.

Also works same way for on board air compressor! If you have both just run wire to each. The ECM just senses 12 volts and does it's thing.

EDIT: You can leave it still hooked to ac as well. But WARNING! do not increase idle in chip if you still use it for AC. Because you don't want to be sitting at traffic light with AC on and it engages and rasises idle 200 RPM and you hit car in front of you!
GearHead-EFI.com
eagle mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Posted in reply to eagle mark's post starting "1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Hook the wire from..."
PANCAKE
Supporting Member

Thanks for the info.
PANCAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Blue85
Supporting Member

I don't know if you're interested in this idea, but I did this using a valve. With 12V it opens and allows a little more air to bypass the throttle. I got the valve from something in a junkyard for like $1. Originally I put a little air "regulator" in the loop to adjust the orifice, but to clean it up later I just went with a vacuum connector with the right I.D. to give the rpm boost I wanted. This is not a regulated idle speed of course, it's just like bumping the idle screw.
37" SSR on recentered H1's, 4.88s, TPI 350 w/custom Megasquirt, Distributorless (Ford) ignition, built 700R-4, Fixed-yoke NP208, 1-ton C/V, 14B s/f with discs and traction bar, hydroboost, ORD leaf springs, Bilstein 5150s, custom bumpers, winch, sliders, etc.
Blue85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Posted in reply to Blue85's post starting "I don't know if you're interested in..."
eagle mark
CK5 Staff

Good cheap trick! Those are all over on old cars to raise idle for AC. I think some furds have them for idle or something... they just kick out hitting the throttle linkage.
GearHead-EFI.com
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
mudbuggy

I think if I was going to do this I would use a hand throttle or an electricly switched (by flipping a switch) solenoid that would bump up to a fast idle similarly to a fast idle on a truck with a pto. I don't think I would want to tie it into the computer, just because once it's installed and working then you can't change it unless you redo your chip, and for safety (like Eaglemark said) sake!!! Fab up a couple of brackets and the hard part is done.
mudbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Posted in reply to mudbuggy's post starting "I think if I was going to do this I..."
eagle mark
CK5 Staff

That would work for most. But i'd be in the chip anyway and have it set up like I did on my 1990 Blazer with 3/4 ton axles on 36 Iroks 4:11 gears and lockers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blazer-1.jpg (111.5 KB, 66 views)
GearHead-EFI.com
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Posted in reply to eagle mark's post starting "That would work for most. But i'd be in..."
4X4HIGH
Supporting Member

i Trader: (20 )

GM of the month Winner
When I get around to it i'm going to try and devise a way to make my cruise control set "idle" speed for my OBA when the vehicle isn't moving (this way it's pretty much infinately adjustable, just have to trick the ECM into thinking the vehicle is going at least 25 MPH). If this don't work then i'll use the anti-dieseling solenoid to bump the idle up.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Posted in reply to 4X4HIGH's post starting "When I get around to it i'm going to..."
eagle mark
CK5 Staff

Hmmm? How about a VSS with a little 12 volt motor (RC car) spinning it wired into the DRAC...

I think the solinoid would be easier...
GearHead-EFI.com
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Posted in reply to eagle mark's post starting "Hmmm? How about a VSS with a little 12..."
MNorby
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

GM of the month Winner
What column do you need to bump the idle? On ssyrok's tune where has has a york OBA I put in to add rpm on AC on but when he installed a switch on that wire it didn't bump the idle.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote