K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
justin775

i Trader: (0 )

700r4 just stopped moving

ok so i was driving my truck earlier it was acting like it normally did. i go to the store about a hour ago and it works fine out of the parking lot but about a block down the road it acts like i have a bad clutch on a manual transmission. so i stopped turned it off checked under truck turned it back on checked fluid it was good. i put it in drive and it works again but does the same thing over. i have no clue what is going on. if someone could tell me if the transmission is bad or what is going on? i just started driving it after it being parked since may...
justin775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Posted in reply to justin775's post "700r4 just stopped moving"
justin775

used search function i couldnt find anyone who has had same problem. any insight would be greatly appreciated......
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Posted in reply to justin775's post starting "used search function i couldnt find..."
diesel4me
Supporting Member

It might have lost some fluid from sitting if it leaks any,or water may have entered from condensation and let something rust up inside the valve body...the filter could get clogged with water or dirt too,and cause slippage..I'd check the fluid level first and see if its low,milky or shows any burnt clutch smell...then see if the throttle valve cable is adjusted properly...if that all proves OK,then I'm afraid you'll have to seek help from a tranny shop,they can do pressure tests and tell what might be the problem..I've had a few automatics act goofy after a long nap,I think the pressure regulator inside the tranny got sticky,they started slipping and shifting harsh,after a few hundred miles and a fluid change and a new filter,it went away...dont drive your truck till your sure the throttle valve cable is "right" or you'll roast the clutches in a matter of minutes..

81 G10 van 73 307 V8 th350/MV4 2.73 10 bolt..

95 FORD Countour!..my first ford ever,after 30 years of driving! --a gift from the queen of bluegrass Rhonda Vincent!
THANKS RHONDA!
(SOLD IT ..11/30/13..)

Latest addition--1985 K-10 Suburban,6.2 diesel,700R4,3.73's,12 bolt rear..still awaiting repairs and to be registered..
diesel4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Posted in reply to diesel4me's post starting "It might have lost some fluid from..."
Greg Ducato
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

Sounds more like a range fork on the transfer case popping the transfer case into neutral. Pull the transfer case into 4 high or low and see if it makes a difference
Greg Ducato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Posted in reply to Greg Ducato's post starting "Sounds more like a range fork on the..."
TerryD
Supporting Member

i Trader: (3 )

Will the truck move in reverse? Will it go if you manually shift it to 1, 2, or 3?

What year is the truck? What year is the transmission? Ever been rebuilt? Ever had a fluid change/flush?

The pump rings exploded on a TH125C in a Lumina we had one time and caused a slipping feeling like you described with the clutch reference. You had to rev the engine through the roof to sling the vanes out against the pump body and create pressure. It was funny watching my Mom (about 45 at the time) revving a primer gray Lumina 4dr through the roof to get it up the driveway. Anyways, those rings are a weak point in a 700R4 pump. If you've lost Reverse and Forward gears and it's not the t-case as suggested, I would start looking towards the pump.

"Made in USA" thread
TerryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Posted in reply to TerryD's post starting "Will the truck move in reverse? Will..."
justin775

I changed the fluid put a new filter on added 2 quarts of that Lucas stuff and its moving again... Tv cable is good but the fluid was super burnt like black so I think it needs a rebuild.. so that's the plan hopefully it lasts till I got the cash... Thx for the help guyss I appreciate it!!