K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Posted in reply to badmix's post starting "Everyone has their own reasons which Im..."
Keitha
Supporting Member

i Trader: (0 )

I'm running the 12vGuy set-up and it works great. You could assemble the same thing for a bit less money, but his kit made it easy. I mounted the switch under the hood as I just do not need to access it too often.

Remove these ads.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Posted in reply to pplblazerdude's post "Dual Battery setups"
pplblazerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitha View Post
I'm running the 12vGuy set-up and it works great. You could assemble the same thing for a bit less money, but his kit made it easy. I mounted the switch under the hood as I just do not need to access it too often.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the kit?
pplblazerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Posted in reply to pplblazerdude's post starting "Do you have a wiring diagram for the..."
nsxxtreme

You stated you had a stock alternator. This is kinda going backwards from what you want. Adding a second battery is an additional load on an already punny alternator. If you want some real power personally I would put the money into upgrading the alternator and wiring FIRST! Then buy a second battery if it's still needed.
nsxxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Posted in reply to nsxxtreme's post starting "You stated you had a stock alternator...."
colbystephens
Supporting Member

i Trader: (5 )

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmix View Post
Im running the HELLROARING setup. Its really a neat setup. I have an isolator that connects the batteries and a switch in the glove box. I got the kit that makes the 2nd battery an AUX battery, meaning all my accessories and starting capabilities is based on the main battery, the 2nd battery is strictly backup incase I kill my main battery or to combine the two batts for winching and extra duty.

Its a 3 position switch

Up - Alt charges both batteries & combines both batteries for extra power.

Middle - Alt charges both batteries but all power draw is from main battery

Down - completely takes the Aux battery out of charging circuit, makes truck act as if it only has one battery.

Ive had this kit for a better part of 6-7 years and it has never had any issues at all.
When would you ever use the "down" position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxxtreme View Post
You stated you had a stock alternator. This is kinda going backwards from what you want. Adding a second battery is an additional load on an already punny alternator. If you want some real power personally I would put the money into upgrading the alternator and wiring FIRST! Then buy a second battery if it's still needed.
This doesn't account for the idea of having a second battery in the backcountry if you leave an electrical draw on over night and need a way to start your vehicle in the morning.

colbystephens.com
1990 K35 Blazer: 5.7L/700r4/241/D60/14BFF/5.13/38" Swamper SS
Detroit locked rear, hydro-assist, 4" spring lift + DIY4x EZ-Inch for axle relocation + 1" body lift.
Headlight relay mod, dual isolated batteries.
Build Thread

Check out my book:
The Trouble With Freedom
colbystephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Posted in reply to pplblazerdude's post starting "Do you have a wiring diagram for the..."
Keitha
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplblazerdude View Post
Do you have a wiring diagram for the kit?
I will see if I have one laying around.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Posted in reply to colbystephens's post starting "When would you ever use the "down"..."
Keitha
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbystephens View Post
You could use the "down" position if you want to preserve the Auxilary battery - perhaps listening to the stereo for an extended period of time and you want to keep the aux battery fresh.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Posted in reply to colbystephens's post starting "When would you ever use the "down"..."
nsxxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbystephens View Post

This doesn't account for the idea of having a second battery in the backcountry if you leave an electrical draw on over night and need a way to start your vehicle in the morning.
Regardless I would still install a larger alternator FIRST! The batteries job is to start the car. Once the car is started all current should come from the alternator.

If you want a reserve battery I would install a switch with a solenoid so you can add it or remove it when you want.
nsxxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Posted in reply to nsxxtreme's post starting "Regardless I would still install a..."
Keitha
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxxtreme View Post
Regardless I would still install a larger alternator FIRST! The batteries job is to start the car. Once the car is started all current should come from the alternator.

If you want a reserve battery I would install a switch with a solenoid so you can add it or remove it when you want.
A big alternator does not do any good if you can't start your motor. I run two batteries and they serve me well. When my key is in the off position, the solenoid disconects my aux battery. I have left my headlights on and drained my main battery. I open my hood, switch the solenoid to self-jump, and start my motor. Tell me, how is a bigger alternator going to help me in that situation?
My alternator is just fine and charges my system adaquetly. I was just after the extra battery capacity and back-up battery security. That is what I took from the OP question as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Posted in reply to Keitha's post starting "A big alternator does not do any good..."
gonefishin
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

I have the painless kit works great and has saved the day multiple times expecially when my alt. Went out at 2 in the morning 40 miles from home coming back from a wheelin trip I leave mine totally isolated just for that reason just don't forget to turn the switch on to charge aux. Battery occasionally

The whole "my dick is bigger than yours thing" is idiotic... especially since my dick is by far the largest on this site.

Rene

89 k5 35 inch boggers/ .060 over 350, 10.5:1 compression, afr 195 heads, xs274 solid cam, rpm air gap, 770 truck avenger/nv4500/241-205 doubler welded 14bff welded d60 w/4.10's hydro assist
2012 chevy cruze turbo
07 f150 sold
gonefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Posted in reply to gonefishin's post starting "I have the painless kit works great and..."
badmix
Supporting Member

i Trader: (2 )

I am running a bigger 140amp Mean Green Alternator.