K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > Technical Discussion > 73-91 K5/Suburban/Truck

Remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2002, 07:27 AM   #1
ZZ4x4

i Trader: (1 )

Frustrated with JD2 Bender -ideas?

Working on the roll-cage and I decided to risk it and go cheap with the Harbor Freight bender since many said it might work. That didn't provide good results so I coughed up the ~$550 for the JD2 model 3 bender and die. I've got it mounted to a sturdy work bench and I am using a 3ft breaker bar as a handle. I put all my strength into the bar and I can't get the dang tube to even budge. I'm pushing the handle so hard, it's about to rip the bender out of the table. I am using 2" .134 wall thickness mild steel DOM tubing. It is only a little thicker than than the .120 tubing others on the site have used (BigJ, etc...) . Did you guys that bent the .120 have this much trouble? What to do next??? Any ideas are appreciated. JT

ZZ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:54 AM   #2
Michael

i Trader: (0 )

Re: Frustrated with JD2 Bender -ideas?

I would say your .134 tubing is much too thick, but that's just my opinion. This is right from the JD2 website:

The Model 3 uses a high ratio ratchet mechanism to allow the operator to
bend the larger sizes of tubing comfortably without assistance. For example, the average
operator can bend 1 3/4" x .095" wall round mild steel tubing with one hand, 1 1/2" x .095" wall
tubing with two fingers and 1" x .065" wall tubing with ONE finger.

Still seems like you should be able to bend even the thicker wall....you're not taking too big of a "bite" with the ratchet are ya?? Sorry I'm not much help......

Michael
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:56 AM   #3
468BIGBLOCK

ya need a bigger cheater pipe ya needs one about 6 foot long!!!

468BIGBLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:01 AM   #4
Grim-Reaper

Article Contributor

Longer bar and better mount. The mount you can order for the JD is supose to be Bolted into a concrete floor so you can lean on it. The other way around it is put the hydrolic ram on it. Then it is levering agains it's self and doesn't need a mount to handle you levering against the whole tool. I recall reading on the POR site that some people have made it work with a ram and a porta power hand bump deal you can get at Northern and Harbor.
While that tube may not seem all that much thicker you got to remember your bending both sides so your combined tube thickness is .028 more. That's a lot when you think of what it is going to take to bend it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
75 Jimmy, Dollar
Grim-Reaper
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:25 AM   #5
Butch

I wish they would just send me mine. I ordered it in early Dec and it is still not here. Sounds like Grim pointed you correctly. Longer bar and better mount you might also put some rocks in your pockets for a little more ass.

I thought I was wrong once,
but I was mistaken
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:47 AM   #6
Greg72
"Might As Well..."

i Trader: (10 )

ZZ4x4,

Just to confirm since I am not familiar with that model number......is this a "Tubing Bender" or a "Pipe Bender"?

I know that there is a god writeup on the differences in "pipe" vs. "tubing" and why you need the RIGHT tool for the job. I read about it at:

See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38
Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 02:20 PM   #7
ZZ4x4

i Trader: (1 )

Greg,
Yup, the JD2 is a tubing bender. The Harbor Freight bender is a pipe bender. The JD2 should be the right tool for the job.

Thanks Grim and 468, I will mount this guy to the concrete floor and use a 6 ft handle . Also thought about using the high lift jack sideways to pull the arms apart instead of hydraulic ram. Might help to eat some wheaties too. Usually when I'm pushing as hard as I was, something slips or snaps and then I have less teeth! LOL.
See ya,
JT

ZZ4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
Grim-Reaper

Article Contributor

hahaha grab you an old foot ball helmet!

Women dig dents and flat paint!
coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
75 Jimmy, Dollar
Grim-Reaper
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:54 PM   #9
Bubba Ray Boudreaux

i Trader: (3 )

Since I'm in a rental, the wife nixed the mounting to the floor method, so this is what I've come up with so far. I've made a table to mount the bender, and then I'm going to find out if some fancy jack at Harbor Freight will work sideways, if not, I'm going with a porta power, hooking up to a bender and going for it. I've been getting good info from some guys over on POR about this. Another option is go with electirc hydro, but that is big bucks right now, so I'm shooting for manual hyrdo power right now.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote