K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Deuling
Supporting Member
"Official CK5 Post Whore"

i Trader: (0 )

GM of the month Winner
Post Leaf Spring Cycling Write Up

I figured as this confused the H3ll out of me and could not find pics anywhere when i started researching, or a good detailed thread anywhere, that I would make a post, maybe make a tech article

For those that do not know, with long travel springs, this is how you get the most out of your travel and mount bumps, limit straps, and shocks accordingly, and also make sure stuff isn't going to hit. Also IMO the best way to get driveshaft lengths, and know how much you need to clearance drive shaft stops on the double cardan joints.

Before shot, also before the diy4x flip in the rear.

Started with 4" ORD custom springs with pins moved 1/2" forward that I was told had 6" of travel each way from ride height. 12" total travel. Also bought the HD shackle and bushing set from ORD that has the longer 4.5" shackles IIRC for the front springs.

They really netted me 6" or so from where it sat before, but idk how droopy my stock springs were.

Took my stock measurements from top of tube to the stock bump stop bracket and determined full droop and bump measurments from that by adding/subtracting 6" each way.

Then took springs back out and made wood blocks that were the same height as all but the main leaf springs

Then tore the springs apart. A big screwdriver pulled the military wraps out just enough to take the springs apart.

Main leaf out

Bolted the blocks in with steel shims my buddy made at work.

Then bolted all up to the axle and took off the drag link.

Full bump

Almost full droop, still had another inch to go down

I took measurments for my drive shaft so I can find out how long it needs to be and how much slip I need. Its going to use all of 6", so Ill try to find an 8" slip at least I think.

Then I took the driveshaft out as the stops were preventing it to go down all the way at full droop, so I just ground off those little tabs you see on the ends, and it got plenty of angle and no problems. No pics of that, ill add later when I take the shaft back out.

Took spring back out and put all back together with longer pins to account for the shim, then ground the extra of the pin off later.

All back together.

Heres a comparison.

I also marked my spring plates where the center of the stock bump bracket would be so I know where to mount my Air bumps on the frame
1985 K5 408 SBC/Built 700R4 w/ Hughes 2500 stall, 14sf rear Detroit, 10b front no slip, ORD Crossover and 4" custom springs. DIY4X flip w/ 6" shackles, 33x12.5 truxs MT, Ferd Raptor Shocks, and HUB CAPS

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289554

My Dune Thread: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295317

folkenheath:Yeah his sticker is the only one that stands for "Dude It Yourself 4X".

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfumes View Post
"CK5 we derail with efficiency"

Last edited by Deuling; 05-14-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Deuling is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Posted in reply to Deuling's post "Leaf Spring Cycling Write Up"
76zimmer
Supporting Member

i Trader: (7 )

GM of the month Winner
Adam, what is your front shackle angle at ride height?

RYOKEN: eesh, tonight, I'm contemplating 2 custom rear crossmembers and a $600 custom ss fuel tank.... what the F*CK is wrong with me?!?!?!!? :

CYBRFIRE: Nah, stainless is too brittle man. That would surely explode and kill you to death.
76zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Posted in reply to 76zimmer's post starting "Adam, what is your front shackle angle..."
Deuling
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76zimmer View Post
Adam, what is your front shackle angle at ride height?

Its angled back, it appears to be a good angle. Didnt measure though. I can get a pic next time im up.

You can see it in the 4th pic, and the 2nd to last pic
1985 K5 408 SBC/Built 700R4 w/ Hughes 2500 stall, 14sf rear Detroit, 10b front no slip, ORD Crossover and 4" custom springs. DIY4X flip w/ 6" shackles, 33x12.5 truxs MT, Ferd Raptor Shocks, and HUB CAPS

folkenheath:Yeah his sticker is the only one that stands for "Dude It Yourself 4X".

Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Posted in reply to Deuling's post starting "Its angled back, it appears to be a..."
38377k5
CK5 Vendor

i Trader: (6 )

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuling View Post
Its angled back, it appears to be a good angle. Didnt measure though. I can get a pic next time im up.

You can see it in the 4th pic, and the 2nd to last pic
Shackle angle is completely misunderstood based on the information available on the forums.

Angle on the shackle, like most consider "good", actually makes the effective rate of the spring stiffer, at least on the kind of springs we deal with. It looks like it gives them tons of droop, but actually makes them stiffer in compression.

We take that in to account when we design our springs, we design them as long as possible to fit with the stock mounts and set the shackle angle so the springs don't invert at full droop.

Resident Offroad Design rep

chrish@offroaddesign.com
offroaddesign.com
970-945-7777
38377k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Posted in reply to 38377k5's post starting "Shackle angle is completely..."
Deuling
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38377k5 View Post
Shackle angle is completely misunderstood based on the information available on the forums.

Angle on the shackle, like most consider "good", actually makes the effective rate of the spring stiffer, at least on the kind of springs we deal with. It looks like it gives them tons of droop, but actually makes them stiffer in compression.

We take that in to account when we design our springs, we design them as long as possible to fit with the stock mounts and set the shackle angle so the springs don't invert at full droop.

Good deal chris. As long as you think its all good im fine with that.

Did I do the cycling right in your book???

Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Posted in reply to Deuling's post starting "Good deal chris. As long as you think..."
38377k5
CK5 Vendor

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Good deal chris. As long as you think its all good im fine with that.

Did I do the cycling right in your book???
Looks good to me.

Unlike most springs, these will settle a bit. Because the rate is so soft and there are so many leaves, the friction between the leaves is pretty relevant. When you go out and use them, the pads will remove the paint and polish the leaves and everything will move more freely.

chrish@offroaddesign.com
offroaddesign.com
970-945-7777
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Posted in reply to 38377k5's post starting "Looks good to me. Unlike most..."
Deuling
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
So in my mind chris, after they settle, say an inch or so, I will have 5" of up, and 7" of down? As I dont really want to have to have another driveshaft made to make up for needing to change it down the line, I have a feeling this one will be pricy enough already

Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Posted in reply to Deuling's post starting "So in my mind chris, after they settle,..."
38377k5
CK5 Vendor

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
So in my mind chris, after they settle, say an inch or so, I will have 5" of up, and 7" of down? As I dont really want to have to have another driveshaft made to make up for needing to change it down the line, I have a feeling this one will be pricy enough already
The springs themselves can travel 14" easy, but we draw the line at 11" because that leaves a factor of safety before the steel yields and hence, the springs are actually soft and still durable. They're your springs, so you can do what you want with them, but that's the recommendation.

You may want to give Stephen a call this week to verify everything, he's the one that designs our custom springs.

chrish@offroaddesign.com
offroaddesign.com
970-945-7777
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Posted in reply to 38377k5's post starting "The springs themselves can travel 14"..."
Deuling
Supporting Member

GM of the month Winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38377k5 View Post
The springs themselves can travel 14" easy, but we draw the line at 11" because that leaves a factor of safety before the steel yields and hence, the springs are actually soft and still durable. They're your springs, so you can do what you want with them, but that's the recommendation.

You may want to give Stephen a call this week to verify everything, he's the one that designs our custom springs.

Yah I plan to set it all up for 11", but want the capability of 12" down the road, and the reason whyI cycled and clearanced and took measurments at 12", so that I can still do that later without screwing anything up. And gives a nice cushion just in case.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Posted in reply to Deuling's post starting "Yah I plan to set it all up for 11",..."
livid4dirt
Supporting Member

Good info, this will be helpful for a lot of people