K5 Blazer Forums  
Home of the 1969-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy including GM Trucks and Suburbans.  
Go Back   CK5 Forums > General Discussion > The Garage

Remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
Ryan B.

i Trader: (0 )

GM of the month Winner
14 Bolt Front Axle

Call this BS...
<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo19/abk?full=1>14 Bolt Front Axle!</a>[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was in disbelief when i saw it too.
Some of us have talked about 12 bolt fronts and 14 bolts fronts but i've never seen a pic of a "real one".

A buddy of mine that was taking auto classes with me was trying to build one for his Jeep. I told him after he did it and got the bugs figured out i'd buy one if he built it for me.[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I was thinking how cool would that be to have a custom 14 bolt front axle... You know that people would be doing a double take and coming over to ask you questions about it.
It seems like there's only two ways about it either somehow having a place press new axle tubes into the center housing with the passanger side tube shorter and the drivers side longer etc. which would be a pain,

Or somehow re mount the T-case so both front and rear output shafts would be centered... (Which it looks like this guy did... just leave the axle tubes alone keeping the center housing centered and get the t-case output to be centered horizontally for the front and rear outputs.)
Only thing i can think of is clearance issues if you could rotate the t-case that way... then it seems like it would hang really low. Lower than normal... And moving the rear crossmember so the t case could hang down lower would probally be required. Seems like it would be too low even with a skid plate.

I'm want to look into this now and go talk to the place that was going to help my friend with his 14 bolt front he was attempting to make.

Anyone think of a way to make it possible?
Ryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Remove these ads.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Posted in reply to Ryan B.'s post "14 Bolt Front Axle"
m j

Re: 14 Bolt Front Axle

why?
you are going to cut up a 60 to make a POS
I guess if you used ends and shafts from a dana 50 i can forgive you
m j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Posted in reply to m j's post "Re: 14 Bolt Front Axle"
Ryan B.

GM of the month Winner

I guess what i'm saying is if i got a cheap 14 bolt and could find the other parts to make it a front end... but i suppose the only real way to go would be to use the 1ton D60 stuff to make it a front end. And your right in that sense why f*ck up a D60 for that?

If i got my hands on a Dana 60 do you think i'd cut it up and use the pieces to make this 14 bolt front? Uh no.
I'd have a Dana 60 front under my truck.

Just brainstoming.[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

...Dana 50?
Ryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:07 PM
Posted in reply to Ryan B.'s post "Re: 14 Bolt Front Axle"
tRustyK5
Big meanie

i Trader: (5 )

Article Contributor GM of the month Winner

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Dana 50?

<hr></blockquote>
Glorified D44 outers...bigger ring and pinion. Found under F stupid duty's.[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Prolly wouldn't have Death Wobble though...[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rene
tRustyK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:49 PM
Posted in reply to tRustyK5's post "Re: 14 Bolt Front Axle"
m j

u sure?
huge hubs
look a lot like 60 spindles n lock outs
m j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 11:01 PM
K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i Trader: (4 )

i have a pics of one too . ill post it on my pics page . oh and by the way wagoner machine makes 14 bolt front ends custom of course.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://wagonermachine.com/corp_14.htm>http://wagonermachine.com/corp_14.htm</a>
K10ANDYKHAMNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 11:29 PM
rockink5

There is a jheep in the new 4wheeloffroad that has a front 14 bolt. The thing looks huge. I think there is just may to many modifications to it to make it work. By the time you get everything fabbed up to make it work, it probably would have been cheaper and definetly easier to just by a front D60.
rockink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:15 PM
ChadH82

I've seen the Wagoner guys running the 14 bolt fronts up a at Disney. I think it was the blue jeep. They're pretty sweet. I think it's just something to do to be different rather than stronger. I guess it is stronger but not that much.
ChadH82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Mudzer

Article Contributor

The 14 in that pic is owned by John Sumner of Waggoner Machine Shop (WMS). I have a friend Steve Sharp who wheels with him all the time. This is definately a trick setup. It was cool, one day on the way to Disney - Layne (K5BLT4FUN) and I were chatting about building a 14 Bolt frontend. The Bizzare thing is,we arrived at Disney and at the Gas Station was John's rig with 14 front. It was deja-voodoo! I talked to him about this axle. He said it is a marketing tool more than anything. They can build these axles fairly easily. He used D60 outers and retubed this axle. I believe the axleshafts are re-splined 35 spline outers from a D60. He said its a little pricey, but they can build them. It would be nice to have the same gear setup front and rear.

The thing about this setup is - He wheels the crap out of it! It doesn't sit in his driveway. I have 4 hours of video from this rig doing the impossible. If you look for it in Disney in the future, it will be flat black in color.

First of all, you don't have to cut up your gold plated D60 anyway. You can buy the outers all new from Dana, inlcuding the housing ends. So, why do it? Why not? When you own a machine shop and can fab some wild stuff, its all in good fun. Did you notice the trussed 14 bolt on the Waggoner site? I bet they didnt add that because it looked cool.

M_J tell us why this axle is a POS.
Mudzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:08 AM
Posted in reply to Mudzer's post "Re: 14 Bolt Front Axle"
ChadH82

Has he always had that exo cage? I don't remember that. This is the guy from Wagoner I'm thinking of. http://64.70.72.242/p117771_image_large.jpg
ChadH82 is offline   Reply With Quote